When I try to boot up my laptop I have to try booting many times before it finally boots

Hello. I am not a developer nor very much code savvy, but i do like to probe into new things and such. I have been with Mint, Manjaro, and now trying out Xfce. I purchased the DVD on eBay from someone. It looked like it was loading up properly, but I have to turn on my laptop a couple of times before it finally catches the root and boots. I ma using the Dell Lattitude E5550 with 16gbof ram. It appeared as if everything was going as it should when loading the DVD in the external DVD player. I’ve been this way for awhile now and over time it starts to wear you down. Was I supposed to do something in bios? Thanks

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --verbosity=8 --filter --width 
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

On the first glance i would say dying hard drive or corrupted bootloader, but it would be really helpful to provide the logs from the failed boots.
And it will be nice to describe exactly what you do. Are you selecting the option to boot from hdd in the dvd menu or what?

Hi @stuche, and welcome!

In addition to the info requested by @andreas85, logs would go a long way to diagnosing the problem. So, please provide the output of:

journalctl --priority=warning..crit --no-pager --boot=-1

Where:

• The --priority=warning..err argument limits the output to warnings and errors only;
  • and the --no-pager formats the output nicely for use here, on the forum;
  • the --boot=-1 argument limits the output to log messages from the previous boot. This can be adjusted to -2 for the boot before that, -3 to the boot before that, and so on and so forth. Please adjust this to reflect a failed boot attempt.

:bangbang: Tip :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

In that case I think it is reasonable to assume that the OS on that DVD is not very recent -
which will almost certainly create problems immediately after you managed to install from it.

If you have some USB thumb drive I’d suggest to boot either this DVD - or one of the other Linux install media you may have - or perhaps you even have a working Linux installation that you can boot into?

Then download the newest Manjaro Xfce iso and use the thumb drive to create a bootable medium.
Then boot from this.
It would also be faster to boot and install from than using a DVD.

The medium is supposed to be booted up and then used to install the OS to a hard drive.
… booting it once should be enough - after that it is not needed anymore

Hi @stuche and welcome to the Manjaro community.

If I am understanding your blob of text correctly, you bought a copy of Manjaro XFCE from some random eBay user, and it’s not booting as you expected…

If that’s correct, I’m afraid that’s a whole box of wrong!

Manjaro is a free OS - you should never have paid for it. Instead, you simply needed to download the ISO file directly from the Manjaro site (did I mention it’s free?). The link to the Downloads is on the sidebar (to the left), but here it is again:

If the DVD you bought really is a legitimate copy of a Manjaro distribution, there’s no telling when the DVD was actually created, or by who. My suggestion would be to add that DVD to your drink coaster collection, and download the latest ISO from the above link. Burn it to a blank DVD; or use Rufus to write it to a USB.

You could also use a Ventoy USB; simply copy/drag the ISO to that instead, and boot with a Ventoy USB. This is my preferred method.

One thing to keep in mind when installing Manjaro is that it works best if the HDD/SDD has been properly erased first, no that no other partitions remain.

• The BIOS must be set to boot only in UEFI mode – Not CRM or Legacy mode.
  • The Installer DVD/USB must also boot in UEFI mode.

Those are the main points, regarding your BIOS; apart from making sure you have the latest BIOS/firmware updates for it.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

1 Like

I’ve started to have this problem on my HP laptop. It is infrequent but what is happening is that it doesn’t shut down. I then get confused when I turn it on but it doesn’t come on. I just figured this out this morning, where previously the battery would de-charge because it was on and I didn’t know it. I’m thinking it’s hardware.

You did?
You tried to boot from a DVD?

no?

If you need help:
create your own thread, please.

3 Likes

Please do not hijack someone else’s thread. Since we have not yet heard back from the person who created the thread, we still have no details about the actual problem. It’s highly doubtful you are both experiencing the same issue.

:point_up:

I was trying to help, not very well it turns out. I’m sorry it caused you all any concern.