What is the status of the nvidia 450 series drivers?

So the current version of production drivers for nvidia is 450.57. It would appear that the 450 driver is a replacement for the 440 driver (same video cards supported). From Nvidia’s website the drivers they are currently making available for download are:

Latest Long Lived Branch Version: [450.57]
Latest Short Lived Branch Version: [435.21]
Latest Legacy GPU version (390.xx series): [390.138]
Latest Legacy GPU version (340.xx series): [340.108]
Latest Legacy GPU version (304.xx series): [304.137]
Latest Legacy GPU Version (71.86.xx series): [71.86.15]
Latest Legacy GPU Version (96.43.xx series): [96.43.23]
Latest Legacy GPU Version (173.14.xx series): [173.14.39]

Manjaro is supporting for unknown reasons 440xx, 435xx, 430xx, 418xx, 390xx
While I’m sure there are reasons for supporting drivers that nvidia is no longer making available (specifically 440xx, 430xx, 418xx) why is the 450 series not in unstable testing yet? Arch has them on their repositories and are using them as the current nvidia driver.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/nvidia/

Packages like FFMPEG are being compiled assuming the current production nvdia drivers which is the 450 series and basically breaks using NVENC with all kinds of current packages that rely on FFMPEG.

From the old forums it looks like it was setup and ready to move forward to testing a month ago.

So what is the status? When is this going to be added to unstable?

5 Likes

Hi there!

It is in unstable. You might want to consult Manjaro - Branch Compare to search.

3 Likes

NVENC encoding mode does not work in the Cine Encoder program due to the switch to FFMPEG 4.3 (need driver support 450.57),

https://github.com/CineEncoder/cine-encoder

the entire project is frozen for this reason.

https://docs.nvidia.com/video-technologies/video-codec-sdk/ffmpeg-with-nvidia-gpu/index.html

I just installed it, although I ran into an error when using Manjaro Settings Manager to upgrade:

Waiting for user input…
Starting
Installing video-nvidia-450xx…
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
checking dependencies…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing nvidia-440xx-utils breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils’ required by cuda
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

So some manual intervention (I use Octopi & pacman) was needed to correctly install it.

1 Like

philm will do it in time ,
do not forget we have also

• 10 linux kernels
  • 5 hybrids drivers

and it required testing that all is ok …

cuda always requires manual intervention when switching between nvidia branches; mhwd does not handle either it or opencl.

Unfortunately I ended up reverting to 440

I couldn’t get Steam to run, and I found Nvidia Settings wasn’t installed. This is after uninstalling 450 and reinstalling 450 with Manjaro Settings Manger. Rebooting, and I double checked I had everything installed including lib32 versions, but had no luck.

Thanks, I’ll load up unstable on another partition to do what I can to help test it. Just didn’t see any mention in the unstable post in the forum and just wanted to make sure it was still on the radar.

Is it possible to roll back the FFMPEG version to 4.2?

Thanks. I had cuda installed.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.