What is happening with Ceph-libs?

Hi all. First let me say I’m a Linux newb, I only switched from windows 6 months ago. My problem is that ceph-libs won’t install on any of my manjaro machines. I have 3. One is an internet machine, the other is an HTPC, and there’s one in my garage for youtube videos while working on cars.

So that’s 3 separate machines that will not update ceph-libs for some reason. But they update everything else. On my garage machine, pamac just crashes. But on my main/internet machine that I use every day, it crashes the whole operating system. Meaning that if I try to update ceph-libs, after waiting for 2 hours for it to “build”, I get a black screen. I have to reboot the computer by holding the power button.

Something clearly doesn’t like ceph-libs. And why does it take 2 hours to build? Any help here would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

From what I have read here on this topic
you don’t even need it anymore.

Unless you are sure that you actually do need it - remove it.

Search the forum to probably quickly find what I was referring to.

3 Likes

Please search the forum before posting and read the announcements. It would be 10x faster for you and instead of 35 we would only have 34 topics about ceph-libs. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you!

So to uninstall it, the command would be “sudo pacman -Rc ceph-libs”, correct?

I’ve used that in the past for things that just wouldn’t leave. For example, SMplayer wouldn’t uninstall with the usual command because it’s freakin’ skin was dependent on it to be able to function. Ugh.

When you issue that command, you’ll see a list of packages that this command will remove from your system
should you answer “yes” to the question at the end of that list.

You can review it and then decide.
It’s not like:
you give the command and then have to hope that it actually does what you expected

You will be told the end result and asked whether that is what you want to do.

man pacman

There is a --noconfirm switch to explicitly tell pacman that you do not want to be asked for confirmation.
This switch is, obviously, to be used with great care.

It’s not present here - so you will be asked …

1 Like

Is ceph-libs actually needed in Manajro? - #7 by Yochanan

[Stable Update] 2022-10-05 - Kernels, Systemd, AMDVLK, Deepin, Pamac, QEMU, Thunderbird, Firefox, 0 A.D., Gradience, Linux Firmware, WINE, GNOME, Pipewire - #48 by Strit
For people wondering why they suddenly need to build ceph-libs from the AUR: Arch Linux - Todo: Removal of ceph It was previously a dependency for packages like libvirt, samba and lxd, but was phased out.

Seems like an oversight or a breakage that should be patched somehow. Seems to have caused a lot of problems for people.

Only if you don’t understand how package management works.

Only for those that don’t want to read announcements or do a basic search.

No need to “patch”.
That package was once in the repo - then dependencies changed over time and the package was removed from the normal repositories to the AUR.
Since then it was already not needed anymore, but people only noticed that when the build finally failed some time later, creating the “problems” here mentioned.

Is that command be safe to use on ceph-libs?

It would seem so, since ceph-libs is no longer used, or obsolete. But since I’m a newb I thought it best to ask. Thank you

Hm?
What command?
The only one in this thread here?

sudo pacman -Rc ceph-libs

I’m positive that the question was extensively answered.

It would have been, but you said

"When you issue that command, you’ll see a list of packages that this command will remove from your system, should you answer “yes” to the question at the end of that list.

You didn’t say “you should”. I find it’s always best to clarify things when dealing with strangers on the internet, and especially when you don’t want to bork your OS. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I say again, linux newb here.

That is exactly why I told you what will happen:
you will be given a list
and the option to confirm or deny

say no and nothing will happen
say yes and what the summary tells you will happen
will happen.

Simple, no?

Only you know what result that command will yield on your system.
Usually, just that one thing will be in that list.
But I can’t know that.
So:
I could not give definitive advice - and would not anyway.
Only you know - it’s your system.

BTW
me saying “you should do this and that”
would not have magically boosted the level of trust you afford “a stranger on the internet”
would it?
… whom you asked for advice …

… I hope not :grin:

ps
leave out the -c (cascade) option in that command
if you are worried and don’t trust what the command tells you it will do
… again, it won’t do anything unless you answer “yes” … to what it tells you it will do

It WILL ask you (to confirm or deny).
No need to trust “a stranger on the internet” whom you asked for advice.
Read the manual page to learn what each option does.

If you are still sceptical whether that might be some sinister person giving you some devastating advice
… why ask “strangers” in the first place?

This (mis)trust has to end somewhere.
And you decide where that is - preferably armed with self gained knowledge instead of relying on (mis)trust.

you really still do not dare, still cannot bring yourself to, to run that command?
Then there is nothing I (or anyone, really) can do for you.

a quote from … somewhere …:

Don’t argue for your limitations
or you’ll get to keep them.

For personal educational purposes
I’d appreciate feedback on the (likely successful, from your POV) result
of running the command
or whether you decided to rather not try it, because of strangers and all that …

Cheers!

You should start searching, reading and learning. “I’m linux newb” isn’t an excuse, when there is literally tens of topics about this, and yet you still need it answered multiple times.