What I would add/change to Manjaro

First let me tell you that I absolutely love Manjaro. I used Windows up until 2012, then I used Ubuntu (also tried other Linux distros), and 2 weeks ago I switched to Manjaro and so far it is the best operating system I’ve used.

Here are some stuff I would do, if I had the knowledge and skills, to make Manjaro even better (in my view):

1. Improve the Package Manager (Software Center) a bit. I like its simplicity but I think the following would be great:

a. make a nice page with categories and let people vote (rate) apps so we can see most popular or best rated or even “editor’s pick”. Let people discover new software and maybe even have a category with “latest releases”. I don’t suggest you transform this into the clutter that Android play store is. Not at all. Keep it simple but give people more options to discover new software.

b. separate somehow the “packages” from “apps”. As a newbie I want to mainly install apps and I want to see my installed apps in one single place without being added together with packages/dependencies. If I go to “Installed” that’s what I want to see, else it becomes a mess of packages and apps and I can’t make sense of it. Let me sort out the apps from packages/dependencies.

c. sort installed apps by date - I want to see what I installed recently so maybe I can uninstall those.

d. the main reason I don’t use Windows anymore is because I want to use FOSS software. But what I am sad to see with most popular distros is that you don’t have control to sort FOSS from the rest of the apps. Your package manager is amazing, but can we have a way to filter out software by “license”? There is a script that decects non-free software here https://github.com/vmavromatis/absolutely-proprietary would be fantastic to use it as a way to enable such a filter in Manjaro. If people who create such distros forget about the “mission” of open source and foss then we will end up like Android sooner than later, with an “Open Source” operating system that is littered with proprietary apps. I would hate to see that. So please gives us control over the software center.

Manjaro “package manager” (or just call it software center) is one the best when it comes to what we can find there. I don’t want to use my terminal to install software, then use the package manager for other software, and so forth. I want one central place to manage them all. So far so great, but it can be improved.

2. What Linux seems to be lacking is mapping extra mouse buttons and that really sucks. I have a mouse with 13 buttons and I use them all for productivity but there is not an easy way to set this in up Linux. I’ve seen Linux has added support for Wacom tablets for example (to set them up form the settings panel), and that seems weird to me because it seems like a specific niche. Why not make it easier to map extra buttons for mice? I bet there are more people with mice that have extra buttons than with Wacom tablets. And it does not seem like a hard thing to do https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-do-i-set-up-extra-mouse-buttons - going to settings and being able to set up extra mouse buttons from there would be fantastically useful.

3. Add HUD! Ubuntu Unity had 2 amazing features: a global menu and HUD. I can still use them with Gnome Extensions, but would be a fantastic add to the entire operating system regardless of the DE. I make documentaries, websites, and design books (plus write) for the past 10 years and a global menu takes away the clutter of menus from your face plus the HUD allows you to quickly access anything from the menu with a click of a button. You know how amazing it is to edit a photo and want to change the levels and instead of fighting through menus and submenus just click a button and write “levels”?! :smiley: If you get used to HUD, not having it is like moving away from a mouse with 13 buttons to a touchpad.

These are some of the things I would do. I am doing volunteering work online for the past 10+ years - documentaries, books, educational stuff, websites, etc… I never worked for money and I rely 100% on donations. Knowing that you guys create Manjaro in the same kind of way (posting it for free for everyone) I want you to understand that I appreciate and understand how valuable your work is. :wink:

2 Likes

All good suggestions! For the extra mouse button mappings, I found that usually there’s programs on github that handle that well. In the meantime, you could check to see if there’s any software for your specific mouse that’ll solve that for you until it’s officially added.

Personally, I use https://github.com/RaulPPelaez/Naga_KeypadMapper for my Razer Naga Epic Chroma.

In theory any mouse should work with xev + xbindkeys + xdotool How do I set up extra mouse buttons?.

xev can identify the buttons, through xbindkeys you can map them (add any function to them), and xdotool as I understand makes them work. If we had that in the settings as default would be fantastic and so easy to set up mouse extra buttons.

Manjaro is not our baby sitter :smiley:

Mouse buttons are a niche problem, most people have two, or a touchpad.

Part of using Linux is a learning curve, I don’t have a mouse, but I worked out how to make yours work :wink:

Manjaro is not Ubuntu, it is a small volunteer project, not backed by a benefactor or by a commercial company (Shuttleworth/Canonical).

1 Like

Well mouse extra buttons are still part of “hardware”. Not many people have bluetooth headphones but still there is a support for that. How many people change their mouse speed? Maybe none, yet we still have that option. How many people have Wacom tablets? How many people still use printers in 2018?

Sure I understand Manjaro is a small team but I showcased how integrating existing tools like the ones I used to fix my mouse buttons with your help (thank you) could be a solution. I don’t expect for Manjaro to be able to implement these changes, but I made some suggestions so maybe some developers may eventually implement some.

Damn, I must be in a strict minority here then, since I use a bluetooth speaker, change my mouse speed, have a wacom tablet and use printers, while my mouse has only two buttons!

Those devs are awesome, looks like they made manjaro for me!

3 Likes

If I were to improve manjaro, Id like to fix if possible split screening, window minimizing and maximizing in gnome

Thats my current manjaro gnome desktop :slight_smile:

Heh ok, not said that to bash anymore, but I don’t know personally many people who have Wacom tablets, use printers, or have bluetooth speakers :smiley: . It is great that Linux provides support for them and I would not want Linux to do differently, but my point was that my suggestions are not so “niche” when I talk about extra mouse buttons.

What are Mac like shortcuts?

What issues are you facing?

So basically make Manjaro Ubuntu.

1 Like

Ubuntu does not have global menus, no HUD, no way to sort apps by licenses or by installed date, it does not have support for mouse extra buttons. So yeah…exactly like Ubuntu :D. People should focus not if this looks like the other one, but on the useful features that can be implemented. I am sure some people said that Manjaro wants to make Arch like Ubuntu because why have a nice OS installer and make it easier to new people to install drivers and software.

1 Like

@tiotrum, we seem to have this topic every couple of months and almost always posted by a newcomer hell-bent on changing Manjaro to their vision of what they want it to be without paying the dues necessary to even really now what that is. Not in truth.

Maybe you could read their posts and you little gossip-whores can get your ■■■■ together on this topic?

My best advice is to get some more (a lot more) time under your belt truly using Manjaro as-designed. Really learn Manjaro, rather than your very limited, mostly cursory examination before you go anywhere else with this topic.

Your post is specious at best. :frowning:

3 Likes

@tiotrom

you can try Parabola GNU
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=parabola

1 Like

This seems unnecessary. On play store you need ratings and comments because it is populated by loosely regulated third party software. It is a safety measure there. But on Linux distros, repo packages are built by trusted users who should already filter out the malware for you. Hence I don’t think it is needed.

You might want to try gnome software for this. Not sure if there is an easy way to implement this in pamac. A neat idea though.

These seem like good ideas.

It does not. Xbindkeys and sxhkd work just fine here. I personally prefer sxhkd, super easy to use.

I like those features too, but they are not feasible to implement, especially regardless of desktop environment. Hud would be especially neat, but afaik it is window manager specific feature. I kinda wish that canonical people could contribute these features to gnome at some point, but I’m not holding my breath.

Manjaro is a tiny project compared to bigger players like Ubuntu, and we have very finite developer resources. Installers, kernels, graphical package manager and Manjaro settings manager. Almost all other stuff we just package or get from arch linux already packaged. We don’t develop that much ourselves, we just collect, arrange and distribute a lot of nice stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I cannot split screen without an extension, and when I try to pull an app out of full screen by dragging it, full screen is re entered

awk -F: '/^Name/ {printf "%s \t",$2} /^Lic/ {print $2}'< <(LANG=C pacman -Qi)

no more infos possible with pacman package

I’m going to remove that request. It’s not relevant.
Apple+C
Apple+V
Crtl shift F -> full screen

Oh wow here I was thinking Manjaro forums are full of nice people and your brought me down to Earth very quickly from my dreamy world. :slight_smile: - If you have this topic every couple of months then maybe it is a reason for it. Maybe newcomers have interesting ideas to share with you and maybe that can improve Manjaro. Why do you think I bother writing such posts? For me? No. It is for Manjaro’s benefit to get constructive feedback. Maybe you should learn that if there si a forum there will be people disagreeing and commenting.

Your post is specious at best. :frowning: - :slight_smile:

1 Like

This seems unnecessary. On play store you need ratings and comments because it is populated by loosely regulated third party software. It is a safety measure there. But on Linux distros, repo packages are built by trusted users who should already filter out the malware for you. Hence I don’t think it is needed.

To me it is a way to discover new apps/software not so much about a safety measure. Right now I can only see apps in alphabetical order mainly. I am fully ok with that, but for instance on Ubuntu Software Center it kinda helped to have a “recently updated/released apps” - I discovered several interesting apps like that. And I feel this should not be difficult to implement (like check what apps got recently updated and showcase them).

It does not. Xbindkeys and sxhkd work just fine here. I personally prefer sxhkd, super easy to use.

I understand but it sill requires a bit of knowledge of how to do this. I did this perfectly fine in Ubntu after a few days of asking the forums, and then moved to Manjaro and it took several days to do the same here because I had to install new stuff to make it work. We can map keys on our keyboard very easily through the settings center so i thought why not have something similar for mouse buttons.

Manjaro is a tiny project compared to bigger players like Ubuntu, and we have very finite developer resources. Installers, kernels, graphical package manager and Manjaro settings manager. Almost all other stuff we just package or get from arch linux already packaged. We don’t develop that much ourselves, we just collect, arrange and distribute a lot of nice stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

I fully understand and this is why I moved to Manjaro because I like these projects more than company-backed ones that usually do shitty things like add Amazon to searches, collect data as opt-out, etc.

Forum kindly sponsored by