What do you think about Brodie Robertson's latest video about Manjaro?

About Ubuntu breaking, I was referring to TechHut. :smiley:

1 Like

Agreed. The OP’s question was in no way loaded. There was no assumption involved. To the contrary, OP clearly asked ‘is it true’?

1 Like

X - Bogdan is drunk!
Y - Is it true?
Z - Is still true?

B - both are loaded question because i don’t drink!

If the question came like:
X,Y,Z - Bogdan, do you drink?
That would not be a loaded question …

Dunno if Manjaro’s Team holds back said updates deliberately myself…but I’m a profane on such matters, so…

As far as I know security updates are fast tracked. But from recent reading this user seems to be salty against Manjaro team, because of KDE 5.25 available on Unstable only. I wouldn’t take seriously anything he writes without him backing it up with evidences. It may be possible but seems unlikely.

2 Likes

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cant-manjaro-outperform-arch-and-provides-updates-for-high-risk-packages/

I thought someone should put this here.

Long time ago I’ve written that youtubers opinion about distribution doesn’t have much value (or something like that, this counts for distrohoppers as well), and it’s not because I don’t like them or something. It’s because they jump from one ship to another and don’t stay in one place long. I’m here for a pretty long time and’ve seen a lot. In most cases it was “end of Manjaro” of course. And what? Manjaro is growing, have new partnerships, it’s managed better every year etc. The last part can sound weird in context of “oh no, Manjaro did it again”, but it has sense. Lets took holding Plasma update for example. It was dictated by partnerships with hardware vendors in the context of stability of operating system installed on units. It is good decision in general for all users? I think yes. I also like that Manjaro shaping own identity. For a long time, it was a trampoline to install Arch Linux in the minds of many forum users. Now it’s curated rolling-release. I hope you know what I’m trying to say.

All these little changes can be spot only if you’re around. Installing a system in vm for a few hours play once in a year doesn’t tell you much. There is new wallpaper, few apps looks different. That’s all. And if someone following only controversial things, the picture will be very different.

I’ll end my reply with a silly joke.

Manjaro doesn’t have a pattern of mistakes. It’s tradition, like holidays. Once a year, something needs to happen.

7 Likes

This doesn’t support your claim that “the security updates are major problem for Manjaro” and that “Arch push them instantly while Manjaro holds them for nothing”. Whatever. :salt:

1 Like

Who is Brodie Robertson? Sorry but my lifetime is to valuable for wasting it by “influencer”-BS-youtube-videos. bibbies-beautypalace is as same informative.

1 Like

What I meant is that high risk security updates should never travel through from unstable to testing to stable (which takes for some packages several months), because that wasted time can cause much severe damages to users machines/privacy/data/money while waiting for that long stability process to finish.

this whole discussion about security-risks is the only wasted time ! keep in mind that known-security risks are no problem, the main problem are the unknown ! This was, is and will always be the problem and it is a dead-horse-running.

2 Likes

We can do nothing about the unknown, and security researchers never reveal unknown high risk bugs until the fix is finished (from app devs) and ready to be distributed to users, so at least for known ones it’s necessary to have them fixed ASAP, because known risks can be exploited by any average hacker/criminal which uses that wasted time and attack not yet updated systems and this works effectively against those systems that suffer from slow update process and treat high security risk updates like regular updates.

That’s a difficult one to answer - ‘in general’ and ‘for ALL users’. What we’re talking about is a TECHNICAL definition of Stable (not ‘bug free’ but ‘accepting current bugs and not wanting to put more bugs in’ system it’s the least risky option.

That’s what Stable means… Stable is boring. I like boring most of the time.

So the complaints are really from folks getting excited and not being happy to be told that they can simply go for a play around in unstable… enough that I saw two of them pop up in EOs forums… where they actually soon fell quiet (probably moved onwards and upwards to a nice Pop OS installation).

Then apart from the few excitable folks itching to go bleeding edge, their complaints also echo loudest amongst folks who have issues - just two of those in a thousand users will make more noise than one ball bearing in an oil drum.

I think the overreaction was too dramatic and many things look worse under scrutiny and out of context than they really are… though I must admit that I found the ‘SSL’ meme quite amusing and wonder why it doesn’t seem to happen to everyone else.

However, I’m not clever enough to judge the competence, or lack thereof, displayed by this error. I’m also not prepared to accept the judgement of others… my system works and it’s no skin off my back.

See more of the main talent here: Philm
And there’s a nice, fairly educational one here where he’s a bit quieter, letting Bernard do all the talking.

3 Likes

OK, seems like he deletes comments stating facts he doesn’t like (and I didn’t insult or anything, no link or anything that could trigger a ‘spam filter’, just plain facts). I went through the whole comments twice, reloading the page, trying different methods to find it, and mine is gone. I guess that’s how you control a narrative. I didn’t know the guy but this is a big red flag to me. Even if everything he said was perfectly accurate and true, this shows a lot on the character and credibility of the guy.

3 Likes

Hmm… I post a comment on random channels once in a while, sometimes it doesn’t show up, completely random. And posting links almost always do not show up for me.
I think many times there is some other reason why.
Could be YT, VPN, moderation by whomever, whatever…

1 Like

The comment was there at some point I could see it on top of other comments. As said there was nothing that could trigger an automatic filtering. I believe he deleted it because it was about what he got wrong in his video. Whatever, another nobody I will not follow.

2 Likes

Yes, he’s just struggling to make a living through his videos, and wants to attract some clicks with a bit of drama.

2 Likes

that ain’t work. instead he should run something like bibbi’s beautypalace :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve seen them all, but nice you post them because it’s nice stuff to watch.

I was pointing M-Team decision to change priority from community to business support. Because some users seam to felt like the team doesn’t care about community anymore. There is one repository for all, so no one lose anything. Added value is that stable updates are released more carefully because there is always that idea behind a head, that we support units from Tuxedo, Star Labs, Minis Forum etc. so everything need to work from first boot. It’s how I understand it.

KDE and GNOME desktop editions were always problematic to update, and now there is no chance that someone on forum will push the team to quicker update because there are partnerships.

1 Like

The Déjà Moo was partially broken when I first checked out the ‘links in description below’
because Wayback machine was down. But I recognised the usual names of sources (arindas and snorlax) from previous troll posts

The subdomain certificate was renewed within 5 hours; 6 days before this video was published

First comment in the video confirms there is no frame of reference here
(like a child has wandered into the room…)

If you were a Manjaro dev over the past week you very likely on damage control

Anyone could find out that this did not happen without even signing up to the forum

IMO the message on the whiteboard in the video rules out application of Hanlon’s Razor

AFAIK this person has never signed up to Manjaro forum or tried to contact Manjaro Team for comment. No sign of any due diligence or fact checking. so just another opinion on youtube; based on some old scat posted on Github
(considering the suggestions for an alternative ‘BTW I ran Calamares’ I suspect the original source is one of the lockdown strops from just before the last forum crashed)

I am pleased to hear that a u-tuber that has never been part of Manjaro community and cannot keep up will not be recommending Manjaro

What’s your reason using Manjaro?

Because I have enjoyed the simplicity and reliability of Manjaro Xfce for many years
and discussions on Manjaro forum were the best source of Linux enlightenment

IMO Manjaro Team is like mostly awesome with occasional human errors

12 Likes