What do you think about Brodie Robertson's latest video about Manjaro?

The thread filling up with people personally attacking the guy is quite dissapointing tbh. He is just sharing his thoughts, why not just disagree?

3 Likes

The security updates (especially related to apps like JDK and .NET) are major problem for Manjaro because they don’t have any security dedicated team, some distros like Arch and Ubuntu push them instantly while Manjaro holds them for nothing.

1 Like

Interesting, I chose it because, for me it was an easy segue from Windows, as all the admin stuff was done via a GUI, (Mandriva being a renamed Mandrake was the same). In fact I never used the CLI until I started using the ‘really, really, super dooper easy’ new user friendly Ubuntu.

1 Like

Forgive me for not caring what a Youtuber with 36k (a low low number) has to say. Yet another genius with a camera.

1 Like

Well there’s always the narcissistic Chris Titus :stuck_out_tongue:

The Linux Experiment - (search engine) has some interesting bits.

So many YouTubers seem bored, sitting at home thinking “if I don’t do a video today I won’t get paid”.

Now here’s an interesting take on something you might think could be better than the AUR and it seems could work with Manjaro. I didn’t try it yet - as I don’t really need to install much more than I already have.

Hmmmm yes, maybe in the future everyone’s gonna be like btw, I use Nix

1 Like

I know both channels. Just today I watched a video from Chris about how great fedora is. I tried it on a test partition of my laptop. The installation process was awful, compared to an manjaro installation. The “discover” update mechanism didn’t work and tried 3 times to download 4 GB of updates, but without installing… The only thing I really like is the syntax of its package manager :slight_smile:

The Linux Experiment I watch more often, but yeah, seems to be more like videos to wrap his sponsor ads.

I will watch the “nix” video. Chris Titus did one too, but I played it without really watching.

I need not much AUR stuff too, but two or three packages. Maybe I should learn how to build these packages myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t agree. The accusation towards Manjaro management was: incompetence
The OP asked if is like that?

Both are loaded questions in this context. Is quite a thing to call people incompetent. I wouldn’t, regardless of their mistakes or experience. I would call a monkey or a group of monkeys to be incompetent for any IT maintenance, and that would not be any fallacy from my part. :slightly_smiling_face:

Other than that, you are spot on.

1 Like

I don’t mean to write “a loaded question”, I like what Manjaro team have done. My English is not very good. Sorry about that :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Don’t worry about any of that, and no need for any apology. My “issue” was only a cosmetic one because is hard to address such questions. Other than that i’m glad this topic was opened and moderators let it be, and people got involved with opinions. After all, we are all here to make this a better community, even if some flames might start now and then :slight_smile: right?

6 Likes

About Ubuntu breaking, I was referring to TechHut. :smiley:

1 Like

Agreed. The OP’s question was in no way loaded. There was no assumption involved. To the contrary, OP clearly asked ‘is it true’?

1 Like

X - Bogdan is drunk!
Y - Is it true?
Z - Is still true?

B - both are loaded question because i don’t drink!

If the question came like:
X,Y,Z - Bogdan, do you drink?
That would not be a loaded question …

Dunno if Manjaro’s Team holds back said updates deliberately myself…but I’m a profane on such matters, so…

As far as I know security updates are fast tracked. But from recent reading this user seems to be salty against Manjaro team, because of KDE 5.25 available on Unstable only. I wouldn’t take seriously anything he writes without him backing it up with evidences. It may be possible but seems unlikely.

2 Likes

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cant-manjaro-outperform-arch-and-provides-updates-for-high-risk-packages/

I thought someone should put this here.

Long time ago I’ve written that youtubers opinion about distribution doesn’t have much value (or something like that, this counts for distrohoppers as well), and it’s not because I don’t like them or something. It’s because they jump from one ship to another and don’t stay in one place long. I’m here for a pretty long time and’ve seen a lot. In most cases it was “end of Manjaro” of course. And what? Manjaro is growing, have new partnerships, it’s managed better every year etc. The last part can sound weird in context of “oh no, Manjaro did it again”, but it has sense. Lets took holding Plasma update for example. It was dictated by partnerships with hardware vendors in the context of stability of operating system installed on units. It is good decision in general for all users? I think yes. I also like that Manjaro shaping own identity. For a long time, it was a trampoline to install Arch Linux in the minds of many forum users. Now it’s curated rolling-release. I hope you know what I’m trying to say.

All these little changes can be spot only if you’re around. Installing a system in vm for a few hours play once in a year doesn’t tell you much. There is new wallpaper, few apps looks different. That’s all. And if someone following only controversial things, the picture will be very different.

I’ll end my reply with a silly joke.

Manjaro doesn’t have a pattern of mistakes. It’s tradition, like holidays. Once a year, something needs to happen.

7 Likes

This doesn’t support your claim that “the security updates are major problem for Manjaro” and that “Arch push them instantly while Manjaro holds them for nothing”. Whatever. :salt:

1 Like

Who is Brodie Robertson? Sorry but my lifetime is to valuable for wasting it by “influencer”-BS-youtube-videos. bibbies-beautypalace is as same informative.

1 Like

What I meant is that high risk security updates should never travel through from unstable to testing to stable (which takes for some packages several months), because that wasted time can cause much severe damages to users machines/privacy/data/money while waiting for that long stability process to finish.

this whole discussion about security-risks is the only wasted time ! keep in mind that known-security risks are no problem, the main problem are the unknown ! This was, is and will always be the problem and it is a dead-horse-running.

2 Likes