What do these journalctl messages mean?

Gnome - testing:

accidentally I read journalctl -
many entries beginning with:

gnome-shell[1298]: Can’t update stage views actor
(Can’t update stage views actor ClutterText is on because it needs an allocation.
Can’t update stage views actor StIcon is on because it needs an allocation.
Can’t update stage views actor Gjs_ui_appDisplay_AppIcon is on because it needs an allocation.)

https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1768656.html

AFAIK all got sorted out in Gnome 3.38

I am on Gnome 3.38

:nauseated_face:

Terminal-Output-put-put

Linux 5.10.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 20.2 Nibia

[@ ~]$ journalctl -f -o cat /usr/bin/gnome-shell
Can’t update stage views actor StDrawingArea is on because it needs an allocation.
Can’t update stage views actor StDrawingArea is on because it needs an allocation.
Spurious clutter_actor_allocate called for actor 0x5572c8761810/Gjs_ui_panel_PanelCorner which isn’t a descendent of the stage!

Spurious clutter_actor_allocate called for actor 0x5572c8762c80/Gjs_ui_panel_PanelCorner which isn’t a descendent of the stage!

Spurious clutter_actor_allocate called for actor 0x5572c8761810/Gjs_ui_panel_PanelCorner which isn’t a descendent of the stage!

Spurious clutter_actor_allocate called for actor 0x5572c8762c80/Gjs_ui_panel_PanelCorner which isn’t a descendent of the stage!

Indeed the unstable and testing seem to be on the same versions right now. But are you using X11 or Wayland?

I am using X-11 - on testing.

From time to time I get:
pulseaudio[1310]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
(by QJournalctl)
EDIT: pulseaudio prob solved with: pavuctrl-qt --> sound choosen wrong profile “stereo with subwoofer”
whereas no subwoofer exists or is connected to the machine!
EDIT: not solved, persists - randomly

I have the same message on gnme 3.38 with wayland.

1 Like