[Stable Update] 2020-11-04 - Kernels, Nvidia 455.38, LibreOffice, Plasma5, Frameworks, Apps, Gnome 3.38, Deepin

Update seems to have gone fine. :crossed_fingers: XFCE, AMD graphics.

@pheiduck already answered your issue, but for more information on these things there is a good explanation in the known issues section above on why these directory permission warnings pop up from time to time.

I was having the following issue

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/meant/.github/workflows/ci.yml exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/.travis.yml exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/LICENSE exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/example/parse.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/index.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/package.json exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/readme.markdown exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/all_bool.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/bool.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/dash.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/default_bool.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/dotted.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/kv_short.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/long.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/num.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/parse.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/parse_modified.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/proto.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/short.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/stop_early.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/unknown.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/minimist/test/whitespace.js exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I was able to install the upgrade after the following command

sudo pacman -S npm --overwrite='*'

But now, randomly, I am not able to debug my local Angular application with Visual Studio Code…

Hello,

In general update process went smooth but I have big issues with kernel 5.9.

After booting up I’m not able to open KDE session. This is because varius processes
are stuck, in ‘D’ state.:

71 ?        D      0:00 [kworker/2:1+events_long]
    149 ?        D      0:00 [kworker/u16:2+netns]
    287 ?        D      0:00 [kworker/4:2+ipv6_addrconf]
   3473 ?        D      0:00 [kworker/u16:8+events_power_efficient]
   5257 ?        D      0:00 /usr/bin/ethtool -s lan2 wol g
   5534 ?        D      0:00 http.so [kdeinit5] https local:/run/user/1000/klauncherCzrgvi.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/1000/plasmashellKeOwiV.2.slave-socket
   5573 ?        D      0:00 /usr/bin/mysqld --defaults-file=/home/grubber/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --datadir=/home/grubber/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ --socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket --pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid
   5586 ?        D      0:00 /usr/bin/ksysguardd

This prevents normal working of the system. I’m not able to shutdown it normally – which is
obvious. Only MagicSysrq helps.

I do not know how to attach the dmesg output to the post. But there are
some reports of stuck processes and some other errors.

Of course everything is back to normal when I boot up kernel 5.8.
I have tried couple of times starting on kernel 5.9 and the problem
with stuck processes is always there.

pstree shows that nextcloud is a child process of systemd. But I didn’t find an systemd-unit for starting nextcloud…

Update went fine on 4 machines (Xfce)
One minor issue on two machines - journalctl shows:

pulseaudio[1117]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Nothing seems to be broken, though

@GaVenga already reported it HERE

Yeah that’s obviously the case - one need to change for array with ( )

But i’m wondering about parameters themselves, specifically keymap, since i don’t know how it affects my installation…

1 Like

When this .pacnew came to Testing branch, I only reformatted the parameter and kept what was inside. So far no issue.

2 Likes

What DE are you using ? KDE, Gnome both have a list of applications that are started when they start. Search for your DE and “autostart”, see if you can find nextcloud is in. Maybe the DE automatically detected it.

If not that, maybe it can by a systemd service that auto starts nextcloud, if a nextcloud service exists.

EDIT: saw your other comment, try running systemctl list-units --type=service, see if you find a nextcloud service. If you do, you can try disabling it sytemctl disable [service name]

I’m using xfce. In the start application gui /tmp/.mount_NextclAtndzP/usr/bin/nextcloud is started. But the problem is not the initial start at starting the DE, but the instant restart if I close it.

edited my previous comment before I saw your new one ^^

With pstree it seems like systemd is starting it, but I can’t find any service.

mmh, when running pstree, for me everything is a child of systemd. If there’s no service, for me it’s not systemd that is auto starting nextcloud

“Errors Occurred, no packages were upgraded”
Good old ‘X exists in system’ on lots of packages. Will need to work around it later.

@Yochanan Thank you for your reply. I will remove powerpill from my installation based on your thorough explanation.

I just took a look through my .pacnew files and the only one that had any real difference was the mkinitcpio.conf file.

Will changing the double quotes to parentheses make any difference? Functionally it seems the same.

I’ve never actually done this before and only learned about these today. :man_teacher:

1 Like

I’m no expert, but I kept the parameter keymap when I merged the pacnew file. No ill effects that I can see after reboot.

2 Likes

I had a problem similar to yours, how did you downgrade?

I have no Wi-Fi with any kernel after booting linux59 (rtl8821ce)

More details here:

Updated, solved GPU error by reboot.