What command can get my Win10 key?

Tried sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDMsudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM, I get no such file.

Hi @Edward78,

I really, really, really don’t know what you mean, so I’m assuming I won’t be the only one with this issue. Please elaborate, explaining things.

1 Like

Linux has a command to get the key from Windows 10 when it is on your sys https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-windows-10-oem-product-key-command/?fbclid=IwAR23MPzfu2tFquY5Rlk-uljanSELWQky5PJ3Wc0HoEAMMmxyOYL5rSxoEK8

sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM | tail -1

Should work, but only if the Win(8-10) key is OEM and stored in the BIOS.

Crap no it is not.

Oh, that. The heading made it sound like Win 10 Key, as in key on your keyboard. You mean License key.

And it’s not a command. It’s a program, called chntpw and it’s available in the community repo:

$ pamac search chntpw

chntpw                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  140201-4  community
Offline NT Password Editor - reset passwords in a Windows NT SAM user database file

So it can be installed with :point_down:

pamac install chntpw

BUT, I have never done or even used this, so cannot confirm, but it only makes sense that your windows have to be mounted.

See @cscs’s answer above:

Hope it workse need to reinstall (it us still there, but won’t boot), I need to get the key, I changed MBs since install two times & M is there a way to get it from the .reg file?S wants so much for a key), need a way to get it from the .reg file.

Sorry, no. I didn’t even know it could be installed to the BIOS. So no, I have no idea.

Thats exactly what that linked tool does - read its docs.

Ok, it is installed. Jow do I get the key with it?

Read.the.documentation.

https://www.chntpw.com/guide/

1 Like

Firefox gives a security risk warning.

Probably a self-signed certificate. :woman_shrugging:

But, as with most things, you can also do

man chntpw

Have you actually read the warning? The whole thing? And it’s just a warning, it doesn’t block you. The warning is because firefox is set to only use HTTPS websites, which is a good policy, but not every website has it because it’s all still relatively new to use HTTPS for everything.

@cscs, nah, not this time. And nah, @Edward78 will have to go to the website, or so it seems at least:

$ man chntpw
No manual entry for chntpw

Well it has a manual and readme anyways …

$ pacman -Fl chntpw
chntpw usr/
chntpw usr/bin/
chntpw usr/bin/chntpw
chntpw usr/bin/cpnt
chntpw usr/bin/reged
chntpw usr/share/
chntpw usr/share/doc/
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/COPYING.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/GPL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/HISTORY.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/INSTALL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/LGPL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/MANUAL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/README.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/WinReg.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/regedit.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/syskey.txt
1 Like

That just gets the password, I need the key to activate agaib after reinstall.

Just found this in the man page, go through, it might be helpful: https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Edit:

Also just found this page, where:

To look into the relevant registry file mount the Windows disk and open it like so:

chntpw -e /path/to/windisk/Windows/System32/config/software

Now to get the decoded DigitalProductId enter this command:

dpi \Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId

chntpw -e /run/media/edward78/Win10/Windows/System32/config/software
bash: [edward78@nicholas: command not found
Hmmm, this is location in properties /run/media/edward78/Win10/Windows/System32/config what did I not do?

Your windows disk/partition doesn’t seem mounted permanently, or correctly, or something. Are you trying this from a Live system? Because /run is for temporary mounts that doesn’t survive a system reboot…

Sounds like ‘chntpw’ is not installed.

Did you done this before?: