What command can get my Win10 key?

Tried sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDMsudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM, I get no such file.

Hi @Edward78,

I really, really, really don’t know what you mean, so I’m assuming I won’t be the only one with this issue. Please elaborate, explaining things.

1 Like

Linux has a command to get the key from Windows 10 when it is on your sys https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-windows-10-oem-product-key-command/?fbclid=IwAR23MPzfu2tFquY5Rlk-uljanSELWQky5PJ3Wc0HoEAMMmxyOYL5rSxoEK8

sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM | tail -1

Should work, but only if the Win(8-10) key is OEM and stored in the BIOS.

1 Like

Crap no it is not.

Oh, that. The heading made it sound like Win 10 Key, as in key on your keyboard. You mean License key.

And it’s not a command. It’s a program, called chntpw and it’s available in the community repo:

$ pamac search chntpw

chntpw                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  140201-4  community
Offline NT Password Editor - reset passwords in a Windows NT SAM user database file

So it can be installed with :point_down:

pamac install chntpw

BUT, I have never done or even used this, so cannot confirm, but it only makes sense that your windows have to be mounted.

See @cscs’s answer above:

Hope it workse need to reinstall (it us still there, but won’t boot), I need to get the key, I changed MBs since install two times & M is there a way to get it from the .reg file?S wants so much for a key), need a way to get it from the .reg file.

Sorry, no. I didn’t even know it could be installed to the BIOS. So no, I have no idea.

Thats exactly what that linked tool does - read its docs.

Ok, it is installed. Jow do I get the key with it?

Read.the.documentation.

https://www.chntpw.com/guide/

1 Like

Firefox gives a security risk warning.

Probably a self-signed certificate. :woman_shrugging:

But, as with most things, you can also do

man chntpw

Have you actually read the warning? The whole thing? And it’s just a warning, it doesn’t block you. The warning is because firefox is set to only use HTTPS websites, which is a good policy, but not every website has it because it’s all still relatively new to use HTTPS for everything.

@cscs, nah, not this time. And nah, @Edward78 will have to go to the website, or so it seems at least:

$ man chntpw
No manual entry for chntpw

Well it has a manual and readme anyways …

$ pacman -Fl chntpw
chntpw usr/
chntpw usr/bin/
chntpw usr/bin/chntpw
chntpw usr/bin/cpnt
chntpw usr/bin/reged
chntpw usr/share/
chntpw usr/share/doc/
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/COPYING.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/GPL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/HISTORY.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/INSTALL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/LGPL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/MANUAL.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/README.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/WinReg.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/regedit.txt
chntpw usr/share/doc/chntpw/syskey.txt
1 Like

That just gets the password, I need the key to activate agaib after reinstall.

Just found this in the man page, go through, it might be helpful: https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Edit:

Also just found this page, where:

To look into the relevant registry file mount the Windows disk and open it like so:

chntpw -e /path/to/windisk/Windows/System32/config/software

Now to get the decoded DigitalProductId enter this command:

dpi \Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId

chntpw -e /run/media/edward78/Win10/Windows/System32/config/software
bash: [edward78@nicholas: command not found
Hmmm, this is location in properties /run/media/edward78/Win10/Windows/System32/config what did I not do?

Your windows disk/partition doesn’t seem mounted permanently, or correctly, or something. Are you trying this from a Live system? Because /run is for temporary mounts that doesn’t survive a system reboot…

Sounds like ‘chntpw’ is not installed.

Did you done this before?: