Welcome and introduce yourself - 2024

Hi, just joined the forum here.
Recently installed Manjaro (Cinnamon) on an old laptop.
Ran Arch many years ago (learned a lot, forgot most of it!)
Decided to install Linux as a main OS again so Manjaro was the obvious choice
… It’s like Arch, but friendl[y|ier] :laughing:

Getting back in to development, starting with Python…

1 Like

Hello, my name is Bob, I am interesting is learning about Manjaro. I have no idea of how to navigate this. but wanted to say hello

2 Likes

I’d say navigating to this forum is #1 Rule - just use it and abuse it and then come back when you broke it :wink:

Check out #Snapshots, #Backups and bookmark Update threads - add them to an RSS reader even better!

And/or install and use the matray app from the extra repository:

$ pamac search matray
matray  1.1.4-1 [Installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                                             extra
A Manjaro Linux announcements notification app
1 Like

I think I removed Matray because it opens Discover - which brought some nasty issues in the past… I only keep Discover for updating themes/plasma stuff.

You use it for more than me:

$ pamac search discover
[...]
discover  5.27.11-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     extra
KDE and Plasma resources management GUI

Hello! I used Manjaro years ago when I was first starting out on Linux as a daily driver, and at the time I found it a bit too complex for me, ended up going to Kubuntu and stayed there a while. Then I moved to Fedora, but didn’t care for their KDE implementation (they’re good folks, don’t get me wrong).

Now, with more Linux experience under my belt, I switched to Manjaro this week, and chose the Testing branch because I want up to date but not so bleeding edge I cut myself, and wow, Manjaro delivers!

The KDE implementation on Manjaro is so very well done. Everything just works smoothly, and the little helper they have lets me monitor updates for my repos, flatpaks, and AUR installs all at once.

You guys have a great thing going here, and I’m glad to be a part of it now. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

:wave: Hello!

New to the forum, but not to Manjaro or Linux more broadly. I’m a software engineer by trade and passion, making Linux a natural fit for me.

After hopping around over the years between Ubuntu (before Unity) and Fedora, I found Arch and by extension Antergos, which I’d stuck with for quite some time, but when it was discontinued, Endeavour didn’t really appeal to me. That’s when I found Manjaro, and minus a short stint with Garuda last year (it claims to be optimized for gaming, so as a gamer, I had to try, but my hardware and I like Manjaro better), and a momentary hop to Windows for work purposes (ack!), I’ve been a Manjaro user ever since.

Right now, I’m forced to dual boot with Windows, due to an issue with some software I use/work on for my current work, but I hope to have that worked out in the near future with the community’s help, and look forward to being able to go back to my OS “home” as the primary. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello,

I just joined the forum recently but use Manjaro already for more than a year.

Although I use Linux for years (before Manjaro it was Ubuntu) I would not exactly describe myself as a seasoned Linux user since I use my OS primarily for vanilla use cases (like surfing and office applications). Hence, whenever I encounter a problem I mostly rely on ad hoc researching a solution or forums like this one. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hello, I’m Andrey. I tried to use linux and I think I found my favorite distro. I have been using Manjaro linux for about 6 months.

2 Likes

It’s good to see more folks coming to the forum :partying_face:

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve been registered here in the forum for a while but hadn’t introduced myself yet. I would like to do so now and apologize for not doing so sooner.

I have been interested in IT for some time now. My first experiences were with the Commodore C64, later also with the Amiga.

I then started to gain Linux experience on a 386 DX 40 with Red Hat, at that time in version 4.2 as a free version. It came with a book that I had bought. Via Mandrake Linux, Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu Mint, I finally ended up with Arch Linux and Manjaro. I like the rolling release concept of Arch-based Linuxes, which is why I have been using them on my computers for some time now.

Even though I’ve known Linux for a long time, I wouldn’t see myself as an expert here, but rather as an ambitious user. But I enjoy working with it and I am always surprised at what is possible with it.

6 Likes

Hi. I am Stefan and a Systemadmin in my company. I am using Linux on and off since 24 years. I am addicted to Manjaro Cinnamon as my daily distro, because it is a running distro that really works! I´ve never had any bigger issues and hope the Cinnamon DE will be supported forever.

4 Likes

hello everyone, I’m J.

Installed xfce on an old x230 I had lying around. Using it to explore linux/arch and use as a step stool for understanding the flow of linux in general.

See ya around

• J
2 Likes

Hello!

Long time Linux user here actually, since 2009. Mainly I have used Debian based distros, mostly Ubuntu but also Debian Stable and Testing. Now I’ve been nearly two years on Manjaro KDE. During these 15 years I’ve hardly asked any help from any Linux distro related forum because I’ve yet to encounter a problem that hasn’t been already answered or solved and simple google’ing usually helps to find solution. I still consider myself rather average user or even towards beginner status as I don’t have any deeper technical knowledge. I can handle various conf files etc. if required to solve some issue and as I said before, tutorials or forum posts describing a good solution are well available.

4 Likes

Hi Gazza here, been looking for an OS to revitalise my old HP Pavilion dv6, which was struggling with Windows 10. Tried a few then stumbled across Manjaro Budgie and really liking it. Cheers

2 Likes

Hello all,

My name is Patrick and I am finally settling on a distro for the long-term and Manjaro is the one.
Thanks to everyone who has ever contributed to Manjaro and open source in general.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, long time Manjaro user, first time poster :slight_smile: Been using Linux on and off for the past 25+ years and I still to this day distro hop, but for the last few years I always end up on Manjaro. It just works and works well. Thank you to all who make this possible!

3 Likes

Decided to post here because I love Manjaro! I’ve been using Kubuntu for years, but couldn’t get everything to work. Especially samba. Manjaro forced me to hit the term box and set samba up properly.
For the first time in years of using linux! The arch repo is just awesome too. Arch is a bit more work than
Ubuntu or Debian, but in the end it’s worth it. Also reminded me I started using computers using dos back before windows was a thing…

1 Like

всем привет
я только начал мой путь в линукс и сразу поставил себе тяжелую задачу установив сразу i3wm.
потом поискал и установил KDE Plasma и Cinnamon

hello everybody,
I’m new to linux and was so audacious to install as first desktop i3wm
after a little research I was able to start with KDE-Plasma and Cinnamon

3 Likes