Welcome and introduce yourself - 2023

Hello. Software engineer using un*x since the early 1980’s. I’ve played with Manjaro a number of times since about 2014 and about a year ago, after some weeks of distro research, settled on Manjaro-KDE as my primary desktop (*ubuntu refugee). Happy with the core distro, but becoming increasingly annoyed by KDE stability issues. Coming to the forum hoping for some assistance.

4 Likes

Hi all - i am Frank (born 1958) and i have been working with linux since 1999. Until now i have exclusively worked with the debian family, so this is the first time i cheated on them. i must say i really like manjaro.

cheers

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Sem. 58. Using Linux distributions since 2004.
Use(d): Ubuntu, Xubuntu, PeppermintOS, Kubuntu, Neon, BunsenLabs. All have their merits.

Manjaro (KDE) is new for me, and as such a pleasant suprise.
I hope this is the distro that does prove that KDE can be stable and fast.
So far it’s going well.
Thanks for all the work and effort put into the project.

2 Likes

I’m a retired Tech. I worked in the Tech industry 17 years before retirement managing a data center. Before that, my friend and I played with machines like Vic 20, Timex, Apple’s 2E, HP’s. First OS I learned was CPM. Then ios, then dos. Now I ‘play’ with pc’s and I love my pi. I also work with ESP’s doing IOT. But with all that, I feel I’m just learning how to do this!! LOL Glad to be a part of this group!
Bill

2 Likes

Hey ho, Cyan in the house
I started with OpenSuse on highschool in 2007, fell back to Windows for a long while, but find my way back into Kubuntu in 2019. Switched to Manjaro since 2020.
KDE Plasma is my favorite DE of all time since 5.xx.

1 Like

hi! i m ike and i m 65.
m linux user since mint 18.6 (think so), sata controlers were broken on my intel.mb775 so i used mint live.usb as daily drive. now m running same pc but with 4 debian and 2 arch. though it may sound like an expert i m gui user and still paste in terminal when needed. hope my manjaro (as quickest os) will drive me well and i shall not bother with help requests.

2 Likes

Hey there! I’m Fontes (born 1986), artist and indie game developer, and just made my shift to the penguin after Microsoft ticked me off a few times too many and no longer need to use anything that won’t run on Linux.

My experience with Linux is fairly light. Some experiments with VMs and using a secondary Ubuntu machine for a port of a game I made. This month is my first time actually daily driving it, and chose Manjaro Plasma after it felt the comfiest after hopping between some distros on VMs.

2 Likes

hello everyone! Im Mo. New to Linux in general and just trying to learn to navigate through all this. My experience is near 0 and im actually trying to figure out how to update my system to the newest stable release. Im running Manjaro Plasma and thats about all i know. This is going to be a bumpy ride lol

3 Likes

Hi Mo,
Manjaro Plasma means you have the KDE. Plasma is the desktop for K (ool) Desktop Environment(known as KDE for very long time). It’s a great choice for a newbie, as well as others.

Check the Announcements/Stable Updates section to see if your version is current, ;).

And, … a bumpy ride can be lotsa fun. Hope it will be for you.

1 Like

Neognomic here, as in new to being short/terse b’cuz I often explain too much and also a nod to Gnome where I got a successful desktop environment back in 1999 with Mandrake.

Since I was in the old forum a lot I’m just saying I’ll be back, soon.
Been gone b’cuz had a irrecoverable system crash, financial crash and health crash. Thank God my Spirit maintained, :wink:.
In the interim, it seems the forum had a crash too and we have to start over. That’s OK.

So who’s running the show these days …same good ol’ crew?
Is there a ‘Hey we know we(you) used to do it that way but now we do it this way’ guide that highlights major changes since end of 2019?

1 Like

hello and welcome,
my name is teem pade, from india and i am new here

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
I’m Kirino. Using Linux almost exclusively since 2016, only using Manjaro since 2018.

I found a working way to convert a non-encrypted Manjaro installation running in legacy BIOS to LUKS-encrypted, wrote a tutorial and thought that might be helpful to someone.
Just wanted to ask in which category this would fit best as I am new to the forum and don’t want to put it in the wrong spot.

3 Likes

Hi everyone!
I’m mildlyconcernedtomato (I couldn’t make that my username due to character limit :face_with_diagonal_mouth:). I’m basically a Manjaro and Linux noob, just trying to learn what I can to get away from Microsoft. I’m running the stable release of the KDE Plasma version; system specs are in my profile.

4 Likes

Hello there! I’m Dr Jeff, an enthusiast from Mexico. I’m currently studying an IT career and dedicate my free time to both gaming on linux and coding. I’d love to help out people here as much as possible, and I stand for educating and guiding this community, as well as expanding.

That beinng said, I have severe ADHD, so don’t expect consistency from me, unless I get my meds.

Happy time for all of you, and I’ll start contributing right away!

3 Likes

Hi everyone.
I’m Romain, French, currently living and working in our greatest enemy’s territory, the Great Britain :smiley:
I’ve tried Ubuntu and Mint desktop on my personal laptop a few years ago, but just as a user trying to emancipate from Windows. Not really successfully :thinking:
Now, I’ve recently acquired a Raspberry Pi 4 and decided to geek around to build a server for my local network. I’m quite non conventional, so I decided not to go for the proposed Pi OS and instead I chose to try out Manjaro ARM minimal 22.12, to build up what I need from scratch.
I’m relatively noob, so I will spend a lot of time reading here and potentially ask a lot of questions.
See you around.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Frank.
I have been computing since about 1992. Started on Dos and moved on the Windows 3.1 when it came out. I went to a presentation of Linux (new at the time) and was impressed. However windows came out so stayed with Microsoft. About 10 years later tried the Linux then with X11 support but did not recognize my screen so had to return to Windows. About 10 years ago tried Linux again and could not set up my printer so had to return to Windows.
I tried again a couple of weeks ago with Linux Mint Xfce and got it all working but was afraid of having to reinstall with new upgrades. This is when I found out about Rolling Distributions. And here I am.
Must admit that Manjaro is much more difficult to get to work than Linux Mint.
I will persist to solve the couple of issues I have because I believe that the rolling distribution feature is worth it.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m Eric, I’m a French guy living in Belgium. I am still discovering Linux with Manjaro (home PC) and on Mint (Laptop) I struggling a little bit with the Manjaro installation (I think the kernel version was the problem since I didn’t update it this time and it still working), but I think it is okay now. I am here to find some advice on this new OS for me, and maybe one day give some tips too.

2 Likes

Greetings to everyone. I’m rockingdemon. I have been using Ubuntu for about 15 years, and now I’m using Manjaro as a main OS on my and my son’s laptops for 1-2 years. I really like it )

3 Likes

Hello everybody!

I’m Paulo Corrêa, I’ve been using Manjaro since its first version in 2011 (and I’m sure since the version was 0.86.x…), truck driver, computer technician and hardware maintenance and repair.
And every day I wake up knowing that I can learn a little more, ahhh and being a digital artist he he he long live Manjaro Linux
Brazilian User

T+ = See you later

6 Likes

Hi!
Great to hear about a contributor!
This section is just introducing oneself so one should look at Tutorials for format, …etc. first at
Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum
E.g., Tutorial Content Creation Guide

IIRC, questions about contributing can be answered if send message to
https://forum.manjaro.org/g/Manjaro-Team
Chrysostomus (Matti Hyttinen) was the point person to contact.

HTH…

1 Like