Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Long time Mac user. Giving Linux a try, and doing so on a 2017 Macbook Pro. Tried a few distros and ultimately settled on Manjaro to give it a full try. I’ve solved a few hiccups (crash on wake, snapd issues) and I now have a working machine.

2 Likes

Hi,
Actually I am reintroducing myself as i was on Manjaro a few months ago. Some distrohoping and I’m back again.

This time seems different and not too much issues. I hope and believe I will stop distrohopping.

I really enjoyed it here and sure will keep enjoying.

I hope I am welcome.

2 Likes

hi. I’ve installed manjaro yesterday. it’s first time that i jump on used this OS; i find it very intersting. great thank to those who create this OS!:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
and nice to meet all of you

6 Likes

Welcome @Chrislin07

I am sure you will enjoy Manjaro and you will enjoy more the forum and the community.
I’ve been distrohopping for about 6 months now, I didn’t find a community like here.

Honestly I had some problems when I started Manjaro as I was absolutely new to Arch and friends, installed a non KDE version then installed KDE… well it was a mess.

But I back finally and enjoying.

Hi all.

I’ve been using some form of Linux on and off since the 90s and would honestly say I’m distro and os agnostic. I’ve spent most of my Linux time in Debian based distros, but also done quite a bit of work in OpenSUSE, RHEL and Fedora.

As for arch based distros, Manjaro was my first attempt a few months back, when I decided to give Windows the boot on my home computer. After some hefty restrictions (like no local admin) were placed on Windows and Mac users at my place of work, but the option to self-manage Linux remained, I quickly made the jump to Manjaro on my work computer as well. A hardware issue here and there notwithstanding, I’m wholly enjoying the experience and can’t imagine migrating back to Windows unless mandated by work.

A final note: These forums are quite the refreshing change from when I first started out using desktop Linux. An actual helpful community with a minimum of snide comments and toxicity? I never thought I’d see the day.

1 Like

Welcome @SixGoalieSystem
I’ve been on Linux since 2000 till 2013, then back 2020/2021 but with a lot of distrohopping.

Honestly you will enjoy this distro and enjoy even more the community.

2 Likes

Hello all,

have been dealing with different operating systems for a long time.

At work I have to work with windows. In addition, I have made a Hackintosh from my old Thinkpad and always had a Linux distro installed on an external hard drive (mostly ubuntu but never used).

A few months ago I got my first raspberry pi and the topic Linux came up again. Here I also came across Manjaro (ARM) for the first time.

Since today Manjaro (KDE Plasma) runs on my laptop… so here I am!

1 Like

Hi, I’m Michael and using Ubuntu since 2007. I changed to Manjaro a few month ago and I’m very happy with the distro.
Hope to get part of this community.

hey, got a win 98 + - 08 .moved up win7 in '10. met linux in '11 . been destroying systems ever since. seriously; I don’t write script or code and it seems I keep destroying things . barely use command line . construction guy. never had opportunity of office enviro . used mostly Mint but tried a lot of diff distros . I think I’m finally home with Manjaro . I even found a guy on u tube I can hear and understand

Hi, all! My name’s Lee. Been using desktop distros, mostly Debian based, since the 1990s. Just got a Pinephone and now am looking to get familiar with Manjaro.

Hi, I hope you’re doing well.
I’m Sveto. Been with MS on my desktop since my first. Experimented on my Laptop though, including Arch. Really loved its slimness, although that went down the toilet after installing a GUI :sweat_smile: never understood what makes them so big…
Found out about Manjaro in a really convoluted way, but already tried it on the Laptop and it now runs Master of Orion 2016, which didn’t run on win7. :grin:
Really excited to get Manjaro on my new PC (which I hope to get this year, after all the micro-chip mess).
Nice to meet you.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
don’t have big story but just one reason because they going add ads in next build of Win 11 File Explorer.

yep i think is quite good reason to make install Linux now.

Hello everyone,
Started using linux more than 20 years ago with Debian, switch to Manjaro Gnome since 5 years for desktop usage. I try to promote Open Source as much as possible. Electrical engineer by training.
Cheers

2 Likes

I’ve been a Linux fan since 2002 when a fellow Ham suggested I look at Linux for some of the tools we use in the amateur radio hobby. I’ve since put that hobby away and continue to use Linux. Until recently I was firmly in the Ubuntu camp but I’ve changed to Arch and really like Manjaro. However, I do have some questions.

1 Like

Windows install finally killed my old SSD to an unrecoverable state, so Manjaro and my old Nokia 7 plus to the rescue. I had a 32 GB USB stick with micro USB C to USB3, and was able to create a bootable image with this Android app.

A great app, simple and worked great, thankfully as a longtime Firefox user, I recovered all my links and passwords, got a full install now running a treat from an external USB3 portable Samsung SSD T5 1TB drive I got on special.

3 Likes

Hi,

Just started my Linux journey, will have lots of questions for a while.

Hello there. Since yesterday I am Manjaro twice, on my pinephone64 and on my Slimbook Essential14. I am on Linux since 1999 (Suse) and for years a real distrohopper interrupted from 2013 to 2021 with a mac. in 2021 i tried out Garuda, very nice distro i worked with for a whole year, a new record for me. Now i am here on Manjaro gnome. It is fast, with nice themes and no problems with sound and graphics.

Hi,

My name is Sri Harsha Chilakapati and people call me Harsha. Earlier I used to be online (and on IRC) as SHC.

To keep things short, here’s about me:

• I’m a software engineer, coding for 17 years now and 4.5 years professionally.
  • I’m introduced to Ubuntu in 2009, used it for an year, switched to Pear Linux (I love mac like UX) Comice then before switching back to Windows for college.
  • Been using Ubuntu since 2014 for my webserver (I have a VPS).
  • Previously I got a Linux laptop with i3 and Arch at work. I loved it, but then it piqued the curiosity in me to learn more about Linux.
  • Tried re-installing it from scratch, failed miserably at finding the correct drivers to install.
  • Got my personal gaming laptop (ASUS TUF GAMING F15) a few weeks ago and the first thing I did is to wipe out Windows and install Manjaro.
  • Picked Manjaro since it is based on Arch, so that it will be helpful a bit for me to learn deep into linux.

Manjaro is great, smooth with default install, but there are some things I’m deliberately changing and causing problems myself and trying to fix them. Currently stuck in learning more about the kernels and switching.

I learned a lot in the past few weeks reading from the Arch Wiki that I recovered two borked installs by myself (it was a lot of fun in my weekends) and currently investigating a kernel freeze causing after a reboot. Will try reading more into journalctl logs and if I can’t figure anything by tomorrow, then I’ll post a thread here.

Oh and btw, I’m based in India.

2 Likes

Hello there! I’m Dimitris and I’m from Greece! I am Linux mint user but looks like I will be going to manjaro very soon! Came to this forum to ask a question and looks like I’ll stay on it!

Hi, used to use linux a few years ago, wonderful job you guys /gals did.

2 Likes