Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Hi all. I had an account like 3 years ago before but it was closed due to the forum’s breakdown irrc. I use Manjaro Gnome.

I have been wanting to learn how to use Linux and get away from Windows.
But did not know what version to use. My grandson, being more knowledgeable has recommended that I use Manjaro XFCE.
So I am learning and have installed it in virtual machine hard disk before I completely remove windows.
My windows 10 laptop has recently slowed way down that it takes 10 minutes to start up when it used to do it less than a minute. I’ve optimized the system. But didn’t seem to help.
I want to browse the internet or use a word processor like I did with windows. Being as I am 76 I’m not much on using the Terminal mode and commands.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard. :slight_smile: XFCE is perhaps the most Windows-like of the Linux desktop environments, so it’s a good choice for someone transitioning from Windows.

And while a terminal is often useful for configuring things (and, indeed, most everything one can do on a desktop, one could do in a terminal), modern Linux desktops allow most things to be done point-and-click. Web-browsing, email, watching videos, etc, don’t require terminals at all. (I recommend Thunderbird for email, Firefox for web, LibreOffice for word processing.)

I’ve been using Manjaro Linux for about 9 months now, myself. I started with Mate desktop, but switched to KDE Plasma 5 a few weeks ago because it’s more configurable. It meets all my needs.

I’m certainly not going back to Windows as primary OS; after years of struggle I finally got “sick and tired” of Windows in December '21 and made the switch to Linux. I found it surprisingly easy. Most problems can be solved with a simple Google search, and for those that can’t, I just come here and ask a few polite questions. I haven’t ran into anything that couldn’t be solved, so far.

So welcome to Linux Land, and enjoy your stay.

2 Likes

I am Ed. I’ve been using Linux in many different flavors, on and off over the years. There is always something I need help with though! :smiley:

I’m Tom. I’ve been in the Unix/Linux world professionally for 38 years. But this is my first time installing Linux on a home system for my personal use. I’d been hackintoshing for the past decade or so. But between Apple getting worse and worse for computing, and their abandomnent of intel, my hackintosh days are coming to an end.

Hello everyone! I’m Paul. Been using various Linux distros since 1999 or so. Started with Slack (CLI only), installed from 13 floppy disks onto an old Pentium system. Then on to Mandrake desktop on a newer PC. Had my 6 month love/hate affair with Gentoo, then chose Ubuntu as my daily driver and used it for many years. I banned Windows from my home around 2003 - my daughters were both raised on Linux (Mint, then Ubuntu).

About 9 months ago I decided to try out some more distros. I’m not here to put down other distros (they all have pros and cons) so let’s just say Manjaro is the best fit for me (for now). I even bought a Manjaro T-shirt, which is a very odd thing for me to do. :laughing:

I can humbly offer one solution for this. If all you really want to sync from your iPhone is photos, you can install “PhotoSync” on the iPhone and then configure it to sync photos to any SMB share that you want. I think the app costs $8 per year or something - a tiny price to pay to avoid Windows, IMHO.

Hello friends,
Been using Manjaro KDE for 6 months… Had no chance to complain… Manjaro saved my skin several times even when I f*d up. So installed it on everything I got (don’t laugh… even the calc and toaster)
I am glad to be here

1 Like

Yes… sir, deliberately debilitating power-user privileges has led a good chunk of people away from Sheeple OSes recently. I simply couldn’t stand Win OS or my Mojave VM any longer… had to break away!
Anyway welcome aboard

1 Like

Hi, not first time using other distros nor Manjaro. I’ve been in a love hate relationship with Linux for quite a while now, and school always got in the middle with excuses to make me choose between Linux and Windows, but I had to stop it. After nonsense discussions with Debian and the bland boringness of Ubuntu I came back to Manjaro, all has been great… Still having some dark weekend fun with Windows, a lil less everytime I swear…

Hello there.
I’m Paul, the simple guy who decided to move to Linux after Bill killed the best Wind7 and after that my user experience of 10th got horrified, from automatic system updates to brazen service with “That computer” logic instead of “My/Your computer”. So, November 2021 was basic and experimental when I started to learn information about Linux, made a decision between Ubuntu-Fedora-Manjaro (in favor of the last with KDE) and totally broke it with the root command when it actually wasn’t needed :sweat_smile:

I got a bit more serious in December when I saw all of my needed software works natively on Linux, Steam and Heroic launch fine all of my games (happily, I don’t need a lot of them or any modern AAA) and moreover there are always cool repositories and communities.

Now it’s been 10th month with Manjaro KDE and the flight is still smooth.

1 Like

My registration in the forum got deleted some time back (probably for inactivity), unlike my distro. More than 4 years later, very little has changed…

Nope.

Forum crashed, not too long ago. Long ago, but not too long ago.

1 Like

Funny you should say that I too used to have an account here.

Hello, I used to use manjaro linux for a long time untill my missmangement of the OS broke my install and I got sad. After that I distro hopped some.

• Ubuntu was not nice because it didn’t have the AUR, forcing me to compile from scratch some programs.
  • Fedora was a little bit nicer but not much.
  • Clear Linux, the intel linux distro, was extremely fast booting and I loved It for a while.
  • Artix Linux, somehow its boot time was slow as molases and its boot script was written in bash.

Then my computers started having hardware problems, and I abandoned linux, exept as server OSs, for an ipad which despite its many problems I still enjoy.
Today I’m looking to migrate a windows10 box to linux, and manjaro is of course the distro I’m looking to migrate to (though I have to say that steam os is tempting).
Things Im looking for are:

• Fast boot times (never fast enough, preferably less than 1s)
  • Less administrating, my previous manjaro install died due to me not maintaining it propperly. To this end I would like to automate as much admin work at install.

Perhapps a fedora, or even an ubuntu, LTS install would be best for this, but I love the AUR, and hope that with propper automation manjaro can equal those distros in stabillity

• Using BTRFS. I something of a datahorder and a compressed filesystem would be lovely.

I’m looking forward to seting everything up propperly this time.

Fast boot times (never fast enough, preferably less than 1s)

Only TempleOS can do this AFAIK

Hi everybody, I am Phrozen. I am Arch and Manjaro user since 2016.

Hi, started using Manjaro Plasma almost a year ago now (Nov 21) and thought it was about time I signed up here after lurking and reading so many helpful posts.

I made the switch from Windows due to increasing horror at their practices (and certainty I do NOT want Win11) and I’ve not regretted it. Still got some things to figure out, but despite those it’s a joy to feel in charge of my machine instead of feeling used by it.

Thank you to everyone who works on Manjaro, KDE Plasma and everyone who makes helpful posts and replies here. :beers:

I am Zoltan. I have introduced myself. It is short. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi ya’ll!

I’m a technical writer who loves FOSS. An ardent admirer of all things GNU/Linux. Outside of computers, I’m currently learning about trauma from the works of Gabor Maté.