Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Hi, I’m Michael, Forest of Dean, England. First computer was Osborne O1 in 1985. Migrating now from Windows 8.1 and ditching laptops in favour of a Mini PC + portable monitor. Also planning to build a new Linux computer for our boat to replace Windows 7.

3 Likes

Hi from Quebec Canada…

I’ve been using Linux from the first years because I was already using Unix at work.
So I always installed a Linux partition on a PC using Windows for my own use.

I still have an old OS-X system installed on a 2009 iMac at home beside a Linux partition.
But I use ONLY Linux on a mini PC and a Laptop that are the most recent computers beside iPads…

The first Linux version that I really adopted a few years ago was Linux Mint, after trying a lot of them to find what I liked the most on an older Laptop. From there I added Manjaro Cinamon…
And I finally adopted Manjaro Plasma KDE as my only Linux operating system since yesterday.

Sorry if it was too long, I had to tell it to someone :slight_smile:

Gilles

2 Likes

Hello,

I was using Antergos and moved to Manjaro ± 3 years ago.
I also use WIndows 11, because I enjoy Flight Simulator 2020.
Fs 2020 is really too slow under Steam/Linux.

have you tried to play Flight Simulator on Manjaro? I have been able to play both Fishing Planet & Dota 2 on Manjaro via Steam. Works like a charm.

Well I have been posting for a while for help. Since I am frequently visiting this site, I decided to introduce myself. I have many online alias for different purposes. Dirtyv is my alias for dealing with any form of programming or a product of programming. I am 17 and I am a programmer. I have worked with arm cortex m4 and pyroscience sensors to produce industrial marine solutions. I am new to linux and I am loving manjaro

1 Like

Hello everybody.

I’m a newcomer to Manjaro, but not a newbie, as I have many years of experience in Debian-based distros as both a advanced user and, sometimes, doing also some administration task, like maintaining an own Moodle server.

Having curiosity to try something other than Debian, I chose Manjaro for its rolling release model and for its smooth running. But now (as it was expected) I feel a bit lost trying to figue out how to do in Manjaro certain things I was used to do in Debian. So, I’ll be dropping my questions here from time to time, trying to seek a bit of help.

1 Like

I guys
Trying Linux for long time, i still be a newbe
I’m on Manjaro for few months an hope progress here
Sorry for my bad english

Aloha everyone !

My name is Jonathan, I’m a student in programming, and I’ve been using Manjaro Linux for 1 year now. I used Debian before, but never truly learn to handle it perfectly. I also have a Windows to play some games, even if I would prefer every of my games to be supported on Linux.

1 Like

Ahoy! It’s been over a decade since I last used linux, ubuntu specifically back then. Decided I’d go with something a little more rolling release style & leading edge this time.

Also wanted something where I could be sure to get freesync over HDMI to work. Can report that after installing wayland it’s working fine in KDE. :sunglasses:

Heya! new to Manjaro and kinda somewhat new to linux! Cya around!

Hello!
Came right after 18 years of Windows as a way of life(?). I still can’t believe I was out of Linux all these years.
Well, I do, because I did a lot of gaming :stuck_out_tongue:
Tried some distros and found that Manjaro is the one for the moment. I don’t like tinkering with stuff that much, so all ready out-of-the-box is my way to go. I’m cinematographer and im getting a hard time not having Adobe on my life, but I still alive yet.
I came here to rant about some unstabilities and random crashings, but I’ve realized that im on the “unstable” branch :palm_tree:
So here I am introducing myself! I’ve just switched to Testing branch. Maybe I’ll get back to Stable, I don’t know.
Love ya’'ll

Lautaro from Argentina

1 Like

Hi,
switched to Manjaro a month ago mainly due to Rolling Release and better packagemanagement (pacman and AUR). Before, i used Ubuntu for about 10 years. Right now i think i’ll stick with Manjaro, because it seems to be better fitting in every aspect i appreciate.
But i’m also a little itching to try “real” Arch… Maybe in the future on a second device :wink: .

1 Like

Kane Davis - been running Manjaro XFCE now for 4 years as my main machine. No real issues, except for having to update often (like Arch, but I don’t mind: I like a clean machine). I appreciate the fact that I can have current versions of Darktable and GIMP for photo editing, and the AUR for odd-ball packages. Flatpaks work great on Manjaro (Bitwarden, Joplin, Audacity). LibreOffice themes great with the DE. I am very pleased that I do not need to install major upgrades, and that kernel upgrades are simple. Thank you Manjaro!

1 Like

Hello,

I’m coming from Ubuntu, that I used over 11 years. Now I want to get in touch with Manjaro. And my first steps into it were great, although I still struggle with the choice of desktop environment.

Hope for a good time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hi there my names ian. i first found linux after a nasty experience with Vista. its a long time ago now but i still dont want to talk about it.
i recently bought a Jumper EZbook with a view to putting Mint on and it went on fine but couldn’t find my wifi or sound.
fixed the wifi but still no sound so i started looking for a distro that’d work and found Manjaro.
as the only system that found my wifi card straight off i thought id stick with it.
still no sound but that’s why i’m here

1 Like

My name is Igor and I’m a new full-time GNU/Linux user, having switched from Windows to Ubuntu in the beginning of 2021. I dabbed my feet in Ubuntu in 2014 and 2016, but that didn’t last more than a week. After distro hopping between Ubuntu, PopOS, Ubuntu again, then Fedora, throughout 2021, I finally found a permanent home in Manjaro in the beginning of 2022, and have been running it for half a year now. Maybe I will try installing base Arch next, but for now I don’t want to distro-hop anymore, since Manjaro is the best of what I’ve tried so far (Fedora is a close second).
Apart from GNU/Linux, I’m also passionate about Firefox - the lonely warrior against the chromium-based night walkers - LibreOffice, and Thunderbird.

Hi I’m Elijah. This is my second time giving Manjaro a chance, and it’s not going as well as it could be. I still think Windows is better for GUIs. I have Manjaro fully installed on my old laptop, and am setting it up for my parents, but I encountered a bug and because I can’t upload images I have to write this post which wastes my time as well as whoever reads this. Not to mention, this only makes Manjaro less friendly towards new comers. Oh and while I was writing this introduction, I was logged out of my account. Thankfully, I’m not an idiot, and I inspect element deleted that modal so I can keep typing. I will refresh this page when I want to, not when you want me to! Thanks guys, I really feel welcomed in this community. If you can’t tell, I am very salty, but that’s why I run Windows on my new laptop and Linux on my old laptop, so that I’m not forced to be frustrated and I can walk away at any point in time. Oh and it turns out I can’t post links in my posts either. Great job Discourse and Manjaro forum. 2022 is truly the time of Linux lol

Hi everyone, my name is Sal aka Isildur (big LOTR fan) dabbled around in linux back in early 2000s was not ready for daily use yet, so went back ti windows. after the horror show that is win 11 i decided its time to move on from windows. so here i am testdriving a bunch of distros. but I have to say manjaro is by far the best.

Hi, I’m Sebenco. I’m a wannabe graphic designer/artist who has been using Windows for the past God knows how long. I like the idea of using Linux, but because of my workflow and familiarity (and general compatibility) with products on Windows tend to stick more to that platform, although I do have a dual boot on this computer and a second project PC running Manjaro as well. The first distro I tried was ubuntu, like probably everybody else, but now find myself gravitating to Manjaro every time I want to give Linux another go simply because it’s the most consistent and reliable distro I’ve come across.

I am not very well versed in a lot of stuff and get confused easily (especially when I’ve expected to understand Linux fairly well on other forums), but also for some reason am constantly in need of doing things in Linux (or stuff in general) that seem to have little to no demand. I’ve also had terrible luck in general with Linux not wanting to install, not including drivers once installed (but are there on the live disk), or just bricking itself for no good reason. I’m basically a living, breathing vessel of bad luck for any Linux installation.

Besides that I am a pretty large believer in open source software and have always wanted to engage more with the things I believe in. I have a general interest in taking apart electronics to try fixing them and despite being a PC gamer primarily have a deep interest in game controllers/gamepads to the point where I want to make an open source controller.

Hi everyone, I’m Chris. I started off back in the 90’s with Slackware and distro-hopped quite a bit before landing on a triple boot of Manjaro, Mint and Win11. Only reason I keep Windows around anymore is so I can sync my iphone.
I’m a chronic tinkerer in most aspects of life and love playing with Linux on a daily basis. My next goal is to mess with a Pinephone and am looking forward to it!
Anyway, nice to meet everyone !
Chris

4 Likes