Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Hello!

I’m a Linux sys admin in an HPC datacenter. A co-worker had suggested Manjaro when I was still an intern after buying a laptop for my first bare metal install 2 years ago, and I’ve stuck with it since. I have enjoyed it, and I like pacman. I’m looking to use the forums to further my knowledge and develop a better understanding of the system I use every day!

Cheers.

Glad to meet you, Nollth. I’ve been using Manjaro off and on for years, but mostly I’ve been with vanilla Arch, and many others. Xfce here at the moment.

Hello! I’m Gaurav aka Madden Chan, been using KDE plasma for about one year, reinstalled manjaro to my system many times, and I still feel noob, so I have finally decided to learn to use manjaro as efficiently as possible, earlier I was using it as noob/windows user.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Kimi. After wandering around the various Linux distros I finally stopped in Manjaro. Now I feel a sense of peace inside. Manjaro Kde is my favorite Linux distro, I don’t think I will change. Greetings to everyone! Kimi
PS: Forgive my English.

2 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Sergio. I’m fairly new to Linux and Manjaro is the only version I tried. It looks very good. I’m absolutely new to this forum and can’t figure out how to post a HELP request! that I need. Can someone explain to me? Thanks and regards!

Hi, I actually started my Linux adventure with Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04 on 2015 via dual layer DVD given by a magazine. Currently using Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS but I’m planning to switch Manjaro KDE as soon as possible :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi all, back on Linux after 6 years away, went back to Mint, figured I’d try some others and after trying several I’ve settle on Manjaro Plasma, what a great distro! look forward to getting to know it better and participating in the community!

1 Like

Hello! I’m Steve I’ve been using Linux Mint for several years but I thought I would give Manjaro a look. Just using it on my laptop have no plan to switch to it on the desktop, liking it so far.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been a user of Debian distros since 2008. I decided it was time to try more things.

I love all the desktops but I preferred to use KDE now. So I decided to have fun here too.

1 Like

Hey I’m Bruno and I’ve been a Debian/Ubuntu (with Gnome) user for many years, recently giving Arch a try via some different distros, and Manjaro seems to be the most usable/stable for now and am enjoying it.

I’d also used it on PinePhone before, which was also very (understandably) unstable.

Good choice, I think. I’ve been a Linux user for the entire 21st century, having first installed in in the late 1990’s. Like most, I’m just an ordinary guy, but I hate Windows and iOS, so here I am.

Manjaro is a pretty good distro. I mean you could go with a non-rolling release model like an Ubuntu flavored distro, OpenSuse or Fedora, but for a rolling release model, Manjaro is pretty stable. Congratulations on going with Linux and getting away from Windows. Gone is your monthly or yearly payment for anti-virus protection!

From 1901-2000? :thinking: :laughing:

EDIT: I’m an idjit.

1 Like

From 1901 to 1999 was the 20th century. I said I’ve been using it for the entire (meaning so far) 21st century.

:man_facepalming: Crap. You’re right. Just made a fool of myself.

You just live in 22nd century :smiley:

'preciate the spelling of “idjit!” But don’t think you’re one!

Hello!
My name is Jakub. My first adventure with Linux systems started with Ubuntu 11.04 LTS, because my laptop had problems with the factory Windows 8. I became interested in Linux after I read an article in the newspaper. I installed Ubuntu first, it wasn’t easy at first because there weren’t many people who could help me, but after a few attempts, reading some forum posts, I put up a working system. I really liked the desktop environment, different from Windows. I learned how to use the system for several months. Unfortunately, due to the lack of many drivers, problems with games and programs that were only on Windows and Mac, I had to go back to Windows. After a long break, I decided to give Linux another chance, for the reason that Windows 10 was slowing down my computer.
I installed Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on the same laptop (fairly old hardware: Samsung NP350V5C i5-3210M, 6GB RAM, Radeon 7600M). After the setup I encountered several problems, the laptop, despite normal use, was constantly running on high CPU, RAM and graphics card usage. I installed Kubuntu 22.04 LTS. The computer’s resource consumption dropped slightly (RAM to ±1.7/8 GB). However, not everything worked. I started looking for another system. I then installed Fedora and Debian. Just when I was about to go back to Windows, I found Manjaro 21.3.7 with Kernel 5.15. I installed the KDE version, because of the huge possibility to configure the appearance. Manjaro turned out to be the perfect choice for my laptop. RAM consumption dropped to 0.6/8 GB, both graphics cards work without problems (they switch when needed), WIFI card problems disappeared (on Windows WIFI worked or not, I had constant driver problems). The laptop runs as fast as it did in 2011 when I got it. I like the fast development of the system, the name, the logo, the large selection of applications, programs that work as well as on Windows. Unfortunately, not all applications work the way I would like, so I joined the forum to look for solutions for the Manjaro system here. I am currently using Manjaro since 3 months. I would like this system to stay with me for a longer period of time, because I really like it with its lightness and smoothness on my old laptop :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi, my name is Brian. In early 2021 I bought myself a gaming desktop. Usually I buy something below $1000, but I just felt like treating myself. It of course came with Windows 10. I had been dabbling with Linux every now and then, but I never committed to Linux. Well, I got bored with video games (I played World of Warcraft mainly), so I quit playing them and decided to move to Linux just this past few weeks. I first installed Linux Mint using a dual boot setup with Windows. I’d been having minor problems with starting up Linux every now and then. I had a spare SSD lying around, so I decided to replace the one in the desktop. I completely deleted Microsoft from it and installed Manjaro. It was a quick and easy install and I had no issues.
I think if I were to blow Windows away from the other SSD and reinstall Mint, I’d probably have no problems. So here I am. I’m trying to decide which distro of Linux I want to use, but so far I like Manjaro. I also like Linux Mint, but I think I’m leaning more toward Manjaro.

I’m a computer programmer, and I currently work in COBOL and VB6. The application I support is being moved to a web based application, but is only used internally. It’s a rather large application, so it’s a slow process. My work computers have Windows on them. I have no choice in that matter.

1 Like

My name is Ben and I’m a Linux distro hopper addict. I’m a retired electronics tech. trying to fight retirement boredom. I find that I like Arch & Debian distro’s the best and prefer Cinnamon desktop, although I use Mate, KDE, LXDE, & openbox occasionally. I find Manjaro to be one of the best Arch based distro’s around. Keep up the great work! :+1:

2 Likes