Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Manjaro newbie here. I am a refugee from the Linux Mint 20.2 train wreck.

4 Likes

thank you so much but i seek to learn the basic fundamentals if you could help me see i dont know everything i need to for terminal and i would love to get to learn that first thing

This might help: [HowTo] become a Manjaro power user when you're a wizard at Windows but a N00b at Manjaro / Linux

1 Like

Hi,
I’m discovering Manjaro after many year with Ubuntu. There’s some times I would like to give a try to a rolling. As I use Digikam regularly, I try to switch to KDE too.
Pardon my english if sometimes… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:, I’m just french :baguette_bread: :wine_glass:

7 Likes

Hey,

My Name is Florian Aust and iam 34 years old.
Iam from Germany, speaking German and english.
Iam running Linux on all of my devices since years.

My first contact to the rabbithole was around that time when kanotix was popular.

Archlinux is my absolute favorite base, a month ago i decided to give Manjaro a new try. (installed it a few years ago and decided to go back to Vanilla Arch.

I noticed all the advantages about other Archbased- and Vanilla arch distros, that Manjaro offers nowadays. I really like that now we have our own core, extra and community repositorys. The old model (additional xtended repo to Arch’s core) made me leave Manjaro.

Now at 2021 i really appreciate all the hard work, that you all made manjaro to what it is nowadays. So iam really happy with it (at least for now).

I have (little )programming, theming and packaging skills and really like the learningcurve, that manjaro now can offer, while giving the user the ability to just get things done.

That is (hopefully) enough introducing information.

Kind regards,

duff

4 Likes

Hello from Belgium,
I’ve been trying to get on Linux every few years, but there has always been something pushing me back, be it bad support from nvidia drivers (hybrid graphics cards), lack of gaming, some tools that I need to use but can’t, or general difficulty to make things work as a beginner. Now it seems like most of those problems are solved or almost solved, so this is my latest try, and I believe I’m here to stay. Manjaro has been my distro of choice last time as well, I think it is well polished and the comunity seems super nice.

6 Likes

Hello,
My name is Pascal Sancho, I’m 62.
my first computer: Tandy TRS80 mod III
my first programming device: HP 34C
I’m still working and I like my job, currently web developper, because nothing is definitive.
I like to get all up to date, so Manjaro is the right choice for me.

Pascal

6 Likes

Hiya, I’ve been an on-and-off Linux user for many years now, though until recently I stuck with Ubuntu derivatives. Lately, I’ve been venturing out into other distros, mainly to learn more about the innards of Linux, though I’m really liking Manjaro and may make it my daily driver.

4 Likes

Greetings! Linux user since the floppy installer days and first time on an Arch distro. Got really tired of “releases” and having broken upgrades so I decided to go looking.

This is my second attempt at running Manjaro and I’ve already switched over to it full time. I’m still learning all the subtle differences but so far so good! Thanks all!

I’m a software engineer and architect for my profession and I work on home automation and microcontrollers for fun. Oh and sailing.

4 Likes

Long time(~95-97) windows user, and mediocre developer… My first touch to linux was around 2003-2005 and it was pure catastrophe, mostly terminal and crashy GUI’s. Next was around 2012-2013 with ubuntu, which I immediately hated it because of its design, windows 8 and 10 also. Continued using win7 for personal usage until 2018 when I start to experiment with different distros and a friend point me to manjaro. After a week of usadge, pleasure of smooth runnig system and rich libraries, I switch all my machines to it and never look back. Now when someone ask me what linux distro to choose, the first answer is always manjaro(not kiding).

6 Likes

I recently switched to Manjaro from Arch, because it is basically the same system but with less work, and I’m starting to be to old to spend a whole weekend just to get the basics working. I have used Linux for about 12 years now, I started of with Ubuntu 8.10 in 2009 and has barely touched a Windows machine since. I would not consider myself an expert, since I have a need to know approach to Linux, but I have over the years learned a thing or two about its inner workings. Currently I’m an PhD student in physics and use my computer mainly for writing simulation software in C, C++ and python and articles in LaTeX, but I also play games (mostly through steam and lutris) on it and use it for other forms of entertainment.

6 Likes

Hi all,
I’ve been using various Linux distros for the past dozen years or so - Ubuntu, Mint, Suse Tumbleweed and others. Currently Manjaro in the desktop and Mint 20.1 on laptops.
I’ve been in IT all my working life (apart for a short spell as an electrician) most recently as a Cyber security courseware author and trainer. I’m retired now and happily free from the stress of commuting.

2 Likes

Hello All, I’m Krish , DC fan
I’ve been using Manjaro over a year…i’ve been using it for development purposes…
I’m using many distros including arch(gaming(arcolinux), Debian, Solus
My first ever distro is ubuntu… then i faced many issues on driver support, then i switched to arch used it for a year, and then i noticed Manjaro and tried it… I’m fallin love with it… Now its my Main-System
i’m working on Manjaro for hours… Sometimes over a day or more on weekend :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I liked its stability…Enjoying the Simplicity of Manjaro…
My First Ever computer -Acer (Pentium)
My First Programming Device : HP laptop, I’m still using it…I’m running solus on that…(Thats My Brother, Buddy…etc…)
My Favourite:
DE: Gnome, Deepin, Enlightment
WM: Awesome and Sway

Kind Regards,
Krish

4 Likes

Developer looking to finally move away from Windows. Biggest hurdles for me is losing Visual Studio for WinForms/WPF & Some C++ apps that rely on that ecosystem. Outside of that, Android development seems very solid on Manjaro. Unity takes a bit of tweaking but seems decent enough. Gaming has been hit or miss but I’ve only used proton and proton GE w/Steam so far per protondb.

Looking forward to experiencing Manjaro.

5 Likes

Hi.
My name is Danilo and I’m from Brazil.
I’m a long time Ubuntu user and migrated to Manjaro about 2 years ago.
Never looked back also.
The thing I most love about Manjaro is the amazing community support (thanks to Arch too).

7 Likes

Hello, my name is Alessandro I’m from Brazil - RS.
Linux user #277773 at Linux Counter (R.I.P.)
From Windows for workgroups 3.11 to Conectiva Linux → Red Hat Linux → Slackware → Vector Linux, and now from Arch Linux to Manjaro Linux.
Thank you for the welcome, i’ll try to help too.

6 Likes

hi i just like linux and manjaro i guess it batter for me and oh my name is joe just another guy like about security i mean just started to learning (sorry my lang is not very well thanks)

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I was a Windows user. Since 3 months ago I’ve decided to completely migrate to Linux. I choose manjaro xfce. Beforehand, I have tried Ubuntu and elementary as my second OS. Now I only use manjaro. I hope to be part of this community.

Best regards
Fajri

5 Likes

Hello community

I used windows all my life (i’m 27).
3-4 years ago I started distro hopping and last year I began to study computer science.
I like the open source world and I like linux (for the little i know actually about it) and for now I like using manjaro and I will stick with it for a while.
I hope to learn how to correctly use the OS.

Cheers
Andrei

4 Likes

Hello

Im Mirko from Argentina :argentina:, Linux Fan and Homebrewer, I am playing with linux since 2002, but in 2009 I finally deleted the Windows partition, for a long time I was an ubuntu user, but lately I was so bloated that I preferred to change distribution, and for 3 years I am a happy Manjaro User.

I have a bar and a Brewery in Argentina and all the computers run Manjaro, as far as possible also free software for the administration and the day to day Work.

Saludos
Mirko.-

6 Likes