Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

I’ve been using Manjaro XFCE for more than a month now and nothing has gotten in may way, which is the best thing that can be said about a distro. I am thankful for a great product!

6 Likes

Hi guys.
I’m a linux user long time ago, manjaro as well, but I’m not an expert so I will need the community support.
Thank you all

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have been an ubuntu user for an year. Shifting to Manjaro is exciting, getting to know about the big and small things about linux.
Hoping to have a lot more conversations. :smiley:

8 Likes

Hi my name is Nick and i am very happy to be in such a community!

6 Likes

Hola @quijote Encantado de conocerte por e-mail! Mucho gusto!

Hi @reggytwobit Seems familiar :slight_smile: I started with Red Hat back in 2005, then went Mac in 2006 until 2015 whilst also dabbling in Ubuntu from 2009-2012, then back to Mac then Win 10 from 2017 until about 2 months ago after the ill-fated Edge debacle. I remember installing Xubuntu on a scrapped G3 Mac back in 2009…that was challenging and fun!! :slight_smile: So far Manjaro is working quite well for me.

I found the same with KDE and my Nvidia graphics card… XFCE doesn’t appear to get on as well with my Nvidia card.

Good luck with your studies @zcyaya!

Hi guys, nice to meet you all :slight_smile:

I’m a long time swiss and italian speaking ubuntu user, and I just switched to manjaro a couple of weeks ago to see how this “rolling release” thing actually works. To be perfectly honest with you guys I’m craving for GNOME 40, so I’m a little disappointed it is not there yet. However, I’m really excited by the overall experience I got in these first weeks, so I’m hopeful that when finally GNOME 40 will arrive it’s going to be stable experience. (I also hope the release is just around the corner… when is 21.1 coming out?). All I have to say for the moment is that I don’t plan to go back anytime soon.
A big part of the reason I’ve been a faithful ubuntu user until now is actually the broad community surrounding ubuntu and its derivatives. I hope to find here the same awesome community and hopefully to make some new friends :).
So here I am, eager to learn and happy to discover new things with you guys. Thank you in advance for your time and for your help! Greetings from Switzerland!

6 Likes

Hi, I’ve been using Linux now for at least 15 years, cycling through Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and KDE, Suse, and for the most time Linux Mint. Now, looking recently for a new Linux notebook, I came across Manjaro, although I’ve been aware of the major distros. I’m working on a HP Spectre I bought 5-6 years ago, immediately wiping Windows.There were some issues but the only downside is I can’t scroll on the touch screen [not a problem because I don’t use the touch screen much]. I’m deciding whether, and if it is worth it, to install a larger SSD and more memory to replace the far too small 128Gb SSD that came with the beast [which has survived two spills!]: it has a lovely screen. I installed Manjaro KDE a coupe of days ago but Manjaro’s tiny menus are driving me crazy… An old Australian bloke living in Italy.

5 Likes

Hello everyone.
I just install Manjaro at this day. I came from Linux Mint. I used Linux mint for a month and got frustrated because I can’t configure blender and my graphics driver there. But here in Manjaro, it runs okay.

7 Likes

Hì everyone, I have been a solid Windows user ever since DOS-only days and early Windows 3.1. Over the years I got interested in ethycal hacking and I tried to tinker with dual booting linux in the early 2000s, but it was a true nightmare. I remember buying 6 CDs online with the ISO of Debian, cause I couldn’t download it on my 56Kbs modem… After a month I was still not able to install a GUI for Debian and I gave up on Linux for 15 years, it was just too much work to get it to work for teenager me.
I came back in recent times and I have been pleasingly surprised to see how much progress there has been over the years, truly amazing. I decided to try Ubuntu and Kubuntu for a bit, and while they are OK, I found Manjaro with Xfce to be more snappy and responsive.

Admittedly I am not yet able to appreciate the differences between KDE and Xfce, or a Debian-based and an Arch-based system, for example. I understand the actual differences but I am just not sure which way I should lean, or which distro and GUI or package manager is better…
In any case, while troubleshooting little, fixable issues with Manjaro I am learning a lot about Linux in general. I used to be very intimidated over the past 15 years because of that initial experience with Debian. But now after 1 month of deep dive I feel at home, and I am much more comfortable installing software, editing config files, etc, all through the terminal. And am probably going to keep testing out other distros via VM, but if Manjaro remains as stable for me as it is now, it will definitely be my new home because I don’t like to format often.

I am still a super noob in this new environment and it will take me some time to adapt from 2 decades on Windows, but I decided to make the move because I value my privacy these days, and Linux being open-source at its core is a much better place to be in that regard.

I will be posting lots of questions but I hope to be able to help newcomers as well.

5 Likes

hi … I’m not an IT or computer expert, I just want to learn something in my free time, I’ve tried some branches of linux such as fedora, debian, ubuntu, mint etc.
now manjaro.
thank you.

4 Likes

Hello there, my name is Jonathan and I’m from Spain. I just recently switched from Windows to Linux after a long time wanting to. I’ve been using Linux on VMs for some years and I chose Manjaro because it seems very beginner friendly.

I hope I can learn a lot from this community and eventually contribute a bit of my own. :smiley:

7 Likes

Gotcha! Another Chinese member!

抓住!另一个中国同好!

Hi All @3eggwhites here!
I am a new linux user and started to using Manjaro linux as my daily OS just a couple of weeks back. I have used other distros like ubuntu, fedora, centOS and RHEL but never stayed long and switched back to Windows. This time I am hoping that I’ll stay.
My Name is Ayan, and I am from India. I work in the IT service industry as a java/reactjs developer.
Happy to be here! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

8 Likes

Hello! I’ve been a Manjaro user for some time. I use it as my day to day, and my main development platform outside my actual work machine my company provided (OSX).

I love the distribution, and hope it continues to grow. Thanks to all those who put in the long hours to maintain and keep her alive!

-ad

5 Likes

Hello,

I started my linux journey with Mandrake back in the days of XP. Used Ubuntu then settled into Xunbutu for low powered laptop. I’ve dual booted windows and tried to only use windows in a VM. I’ve tried to go full linux before and ended up going back to windows for gaming.

I am planning to make the plunge again with full time Manjaro Gnome for my desktop and Mabox Linux for my laptop. My Win7 key is no longer valid after a recent reinstall so I figured it’s time to try again instead of going to Win10 or 11.

The live disk has been amazing for testing. I have been able to setup Steam, Discord, Minecraft, and OBS Studio with out trouble.

Dekthor

6 Likes

Hi Guys, my Post here is not to ask something, just want to say that I am glad to Using Manjaro… why? because of d**n ransomeware !! #LOL

thanks… nice to know you All :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi all,
I’m a seasoned Linux user with over 20 years of experience. I started out with SuSE Linux 5.2 where I failed miserably. I made my first real switch to Linux with SuSE Linux 7.2 and then moved to Gentoo Linux. I used Gentoo productively on my personal PC at home as well as my PC at work.
Due to some changes in my personal life (wife, kids, etc. :slight_smile: ) I really did not have the time to keep sticking to Gentoo. So after some hiatus I spent on Windows, I’m now back for 2 years now on Manjaro which gives me most of the freedom I was used to in Gentoo, without the time-consuming hassle of compiling everything yourself and all of the required problem-solving that goes along with it.
So far, Manjaro has been really good to me :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Tigaente

5 Likes