Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

The people I deal with would not know punctuation if it hit them in the face as for the most part. See did it again :grinning: Are we having fun yet?

1 Like

So you’re a teacher. Cool cool.

And I don’t know. Am I getting paid to have this ‘fun’ you speak of?

Hello everyone.
I just finally try manjaro xfce. I like try many linuxversion. Like ubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu and mint. Now first time without ubuntu. I choose xfce because I think that will be not so heavy.

3 Likes

Hi folks!
I am new in linux world ! I tried some other linux distros but manjaro felt like home!
This looks like a great forum ! Looking forward to meet you all !

5 Likes

Hi @Nightmare :wave:

Have to ask because…well, because. Are you livin’ the dream? :wink:

1 Like

You forgot to try ubuntu budgie, ubuntu kylin, ubuntu mate and ubuntu studio.
Yeah, now i think we have them all :slight_smile:

Hey all!

As a developer student I had to install Linux for about a year ago. Some VM didn’t run properly in Win 10, so I “had no choice” during my internship. I’m enjoying Manjaro, but I’m a bit of a kamikaze guy, so I’ve already crashed a couple of installations. :smiley:

My first encounter with Linux was for 20+ years ago. (Haha, yeah, I’m old.) Debian on an Amiga 4000. That was not easy. But fun. :slight_smile:

I’ll be employed very soon and probably will get a Mac, so not so much Manjaro during work I’ll guess. But in my spare time… If there will be any.

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I have been a long time windows users and have been trying to shift to linux for a long time, I have used Ubuntu for a week or so pretty new and kinda scared that I will mess something up in my system. Ubuntu wasn’t a fit for me, I am really hoping this time I will be able to stick with Linux.

5 Likes

Hi everybody!!

I am a noob coming from Windows as may people do. First experience running Linux was running Ubuntu in dualboot something like 3 or maybe 4 years ago. Ubuntu Gnome was very disorienting back then for me + I was also in the end of my BSc studies, so doing dualboot almost out of the blue – Ubuntu remained more like a toy.

In the beginning of this year I had an urge to understand what is that amazing book shaped appliance I am using so I decided to try again. Also the aim was and still is to use Linux as my daily driver at home.

Had amazing time with Linux Mint from from the beginning of March, and the it was so amazing and simple familiar with Cinnamon DE, that it became boring. Learned a bunch from that time tough.

Have been liking Manjaro Gnome so far and enjoying very much that deeper learning experience. It is a bit scary to be on the leading edge compared to Ubuntu based LTS distros, but I have had good user experience minus some oddities out of the box which were easily mitigated by reading threads of this amazing forum. :slight_smile: Also had some GUI issues (Arc menu not working, icons on the gnome desktop). They are reported and and they don’t obstruct me from still enjoying OS with the latest components. (+ one issue just got fixed)

The oddities referred to in passing : 1) not having swapfile by default when no swap partition is present during installation - that I can understand, since not everybody needs swap based on the Wiki; 2) No cronjobs running (timeshift snapshots for example), since cronie is not enabled out of the box. That was a lesson in learning how to use systemctl :slight_smile:

I am running Manjaro 21.0. Liking the forum being really so active. That “Hello” came out a bit longish :smiley:

4 Likes

Hello!

I have been running Linux for about 8 years now, starting with Ubuntu, Kubunto and only recently Manjaro. Even tho I’ve been using Linux many years I never got too involved in the projects, or dug too deep to understand how the OS works, I was just a regular user who copy and pasted commands from Stack Overflow.

However, recently I have been digging a bit deeper and I’m starting to understand my Linux machine a bit better! I switched to Manjaro because I wanted to try a different distribution that was not Ubuntu based and I gotta admit I am loving the access to AUR :heart_eyes:

Anyhow, hello to all the manjarooos!

4 Likes

Greetings from an old guy in the Appalachian foothills. I’ve dabbled in Linux for years, while never understanding it well and never sticking to it for daily usage. But the distributions have come a long way over the years, and now you don’t have to struggle so much to get basic things to work (I hope I don’t end up eating my words after I try to get my Canon laser printer installed).

Yesterday I installed a weather widget for Plasma and today I learned how to use live media and tty to do major updates with pacman, instead of using the regular graphical update tool.

It’s 2021 and time to move on from the normal Windows stuff and to something better and exciting. Hello Manjaro!

6 Likes

Hi there!
I’m from Argentina, and i’m a Linux user from 1996. I’m a sysadmin and work in a Data center, I’ve doing this for nearly 20 years. I do some freelance jobs too, mostly on cloud vms.
I start using manjaro as a fast way to deploy an arch like vm, but then i start to realize the full potential of this distro and finally switch to manjaro a cuple of weaks ago installing on my laptop. Works like a charm!

7 Likes

Oh yeah, Kubunto is unbelievable !

So, if you know, why so long ? :slight_smile:

Welcome marko polo !

Couldn’t conceive shortening it in any way after I finished typing it up. It was like “oops” reaction After I finished :smiley:

1 Like

I’m using Manjaro since april 15th. Before this I was using Ubuntu. I use a Dell Laptop, Inspiron i15-5590-A30S, Intel® Core™ i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 16Gb de RAM, GPU GeForce MX250. My laptop came with windows, and I used Mac OS from 2009 until 2020, when I purchased it. Now I use exclusively Manjaro, which I find much more lightweight than win or Ubuntu. I use the Gnome flavor.

6 Likes

Greetings all,

After much research I’ve decided Manjaro is the distro for me. Ticks a lot of boxes. Snap store is a definite plus. And I like its Arch genesis. Makes a welcome change from the usual RPM/Deb alternatives.

5 Likes

Hi! After many short attempts to switch over to Linux, this has been my longest stint. At some point early in the pandemic I added Manjaro KDE to all my desktops and laptops and have been using it 90% of the time since. Moving from game dev in Unity to the Godot engine was a big part of what made the switch realistic to me, and I’ve really enjoyed moving my workflow to the other art/design tools, like Krita, LMMS and KdenLive.

6 Likes

Hello from Syria
I’ve been using Manjaro for a week maybe and i love it, I came from Pop OS!.
Have a nice day all.

5 Likes

Hi everyone from Spain.

I am a basic/intermediate user from Linux, I have work with Ubuntu on virtual machines to learn about Linux kernel based OS but never before I tried to use Linux such as current OS for work. However, one month ago I decided to migrate to Manjaro totally because I love the optimization and stability of Linux based distros in general and Arch Linux based distros in especific.

I was testing before with a very old laptop (Pentium dual-core with 2GB DDR2) and I fall in love how this fantastic OS could give it a new live. Now I can work with it to make basic task fluently, even play fantastic open-sources games!

7 Likes