Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

LinuxPusher, The Original, Made in Canada, I have no .com website
Ultimate Edition Oz Development Team ( Closed )
S.T.A.R.S. Project Coordinator United Way
Supplying Technology to At Risk Students ( Closed after 12 Years )
701 Complete Linux Computers and Laptops given freely to students and those in need tutoring included
Huge Fan of Manjaro, more so now that my Games work
Started on Linux Ubuntu 6 or 5 I don’t remember, time just keeps going faster and faster
I finally made it here, I will always be a new user

6 Likes

Hello everyone !

New guy in the community here from France :slight_smile:
I jumped up on Manjaro a week ago and I’m loving it so far. I had a fair share of struggles with minor issues when preparing my workspace but I’m on the right path.

I used Ubuntu a while ago when I was still at school (15 years ago or so). I really like it but I didn’t stay long because I was more into gaming back in the day.
I decided to move back (and give Manjaro a shot) for a lot of reasons (privacy, stability, performance, and others) but mainly because Windows is becoming worse and worse… So far, I’m keeping Windows as a secondary boot for gaming and for Windows-specific situations. I had a few concerns, being a .Net Developer, that I would be able to fully work from Manjaro but I’m quite impressed for the moment.

Hopefully, I’ll stay for a while!
Cheers!

3 Likes

Hello guys I am gunit, I am in this community for a year but introducing now
I am from India I have dual boot windows and manjaro and using linux for a couple of years. I am a student of Delhi University, India . I also work on blender and ue4 for time pass. I have also many a time messed with my pc like mixing 4 OS in one. And custom kernel

3 Likes

Hello Manjaro community! I’ve dabbled and struggled with Linux for a few years now and finally transitioned to NO WINDOWS machines in my home. Mint has been my go to but stumbled upon Manjaro recently and decided to check it out. Really glad I did. Need to get used to the layout but most exciting was that upon installation, it saw my new Qnap NAS and I could access it! Sadly this has changed and now I am unable to see it. Not sure why but that’s a part of the Linux game and I’m down with the struggle. Hoping to learn a lot and find help with the simple things. Thanks for taking a look.

5 Likes

Things went not exactly as scheduled since new PC was delivered on Monday and it is the whole week I am struggling to move as much as I can from my other Windows 7 pc to this one but…

…I am pretty satisfied of the result

My main struggle is related to the obsession of trying to find the corresponding Linux tool for the one I was using under Windows: this is the BIGGEST mistake I have made so far !!!

Some things can be done in a total different way using preloaded apps and of course trying to adapt to the new environment.

I like very much the new environment where all is EXT4 (evaluating BTRFS for boot disk) and the magic that allows VirtualBox Windows environment to map such EXT4 drive like an NTFS: cool!!!
This was solving the never-ending question of maintaining windows 7 for 3 apps not developed under Linux.

Sometimes I have the doubt that choosing provider’s drivers instead of open source would have been better but I am still learning this part

Havent found a very good file comparing tool for my dev to GIT daily checks but I am looking forward for it

1 Like

Good evening everyone.

I’ve been using Manjaro for a few years now. Meanwhile, I am so accustomed to Manjaro that I no longer want to have another operating system on my computer. I reinstall every 1-2 months my computer completely new, to keep the knowledge how to configure his system, quasi like a computer school. Then I would like to say something about it now… I do not understand some people here who constantly have problems with their system. What do you do with your computers that you constantly have serious problems with Manjaro? I still have a more than 10 year old computer here with which I also play regularly and have no problems at all until now, until now everything went smoothly… I thank you very much to the creators of Manjaro, who have a really ingenious operating system on the legs etc. … And then complain even some, because of the updates are held back… Be glad that the programs are first tested before you come into the stable branch. As long as Firefox, Thunderbird and other important programs are kept up to date, everything else does not matter.

Many greetings SchulzX777 :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

5 Likes

Is so!

Better wait a bit, then you have a more stable system. :+1:

2 Likes

I agreed. Is necessary to gift the gold rule: The secret for use a good system always is next: update regular the operating system, update regular!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Joining the forum for my reading and in case I happen to have an issue that isn’t dealt with by the posts that already are here. I expect I won’t be posting very much as almost all the issues I have will be ones that many have had before me and gotten resolved.

I’m from Toronto, Canada. I’m old enough to remember the days of DOS and Windows PCs, but young enough to still want to do this stuff for fun.

Had two laptops get left behind by their original operating systems this year – a 2015 Chromebook Pixel LS and a 2013 Macbook Air. I flashed new firmware on the Pixel and after a brief time running Mint, it now runs vanilla Arch, and is doing very well.

After that success, I did a full install of Pop!_OS on the 2013 Macbook Air, which ran pretty well, but it wasn’t nearly as nice as I found Arch on the Pixel. So I’ve moved it over to Manjaro. Got all the hardware working, and have Budgie and Enlightenment as my two main desktop environments. Very happy with what I’ve seen so far, and so I think this’ll be its home distro – all the flexibility of Arch, but a tiny bit less bleeding-edge (on the stable channel) and slightly more GUI-focused development. It’s a great balance for a tricky device.

Looking forward to benefiting from the community’s struggles with the OS, and helping where I can.

5 Likes

Total Noob Alert
Hey, old Windows user who jumped to Parrot and Kali and Ubuntu as a daily machine only 2 years ago due to CyberSec degree. Recently got an RPi 4 and Manjaro KDE is awesome on it. Really enjoy using it to expand my Linux knowledge. One Noob question I cant remove a side panel I put on the left side.

Thanks Manjaro

1 Like

Oh also any customisation tips are welcome :smiley:

Hello.
Manjaro is my first linux distro and i love it so far. I always wanted to use linux and finally done it. Wish me luck!

1 Like

Welcome … please search for your issues first, then post about them if necessary.
This is just for greetings. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi, I go back to the days of FreeBSD when I first used it to serve local Internet customers (an early ISP by taking an ISDN feed and reselling it. For the past 17 years I have been on Mac and use for web development, but my wife has an Acer laptop which ran Windows 10. One evening, M$ decided to upgrade her OS even though we had updates turned off. The next thing we know Edge is baked in, I said Windows has to go.

I had played around with Knoppix, Arch, Ubuntu and Kali on VirtualBox for years, so I decided to set her computer up for dual boot and see which one is easiest for her. So which distro would my wife be most comfortable with? She liked Ubuntu, and was happy getting used to it. But for me Canonical is a nightmare and too much is baked in, and they take too much liberties.

So we deleted the NTFS partition and probably screwed up the grub efi bootloader, but that’s another story, and we have said goodbye to Windows and M$ forever.

Manjaro is the only Arch distro I could get to run properly on this aging laptop. The moment I saw it, I fell in love with it, and I am a Big Sur user with Homebrew, but tapping into the awesome AUR, having the latest kernels to switch around, rolling updates of the bleeding edge software, this is a dream come true. This is why I am so in love with Manjaro. It has all the benefits of Arch without the stress of manually configuring a Vanilla Arch, but in a highly configurable build. This is what computing should be all about.

I asked a question on switching DE to KDE Plasma and got immediate helpful answers. I would still be waiting for a Ubuntu reply or they would be terse and patronising. This forum is very helpful and and I hope some of my knowledge can be of benefit to others in their Manjaro journey.

8 Likes

Cool
I was just thinking about PinePhone too
Tell me more please!!!

I actually own the manjaro edition pinephone from late last year, which is what initially sparked my interest in manjaro distribution. (cant believe it took me so long to install on my desktops since then) anyway the pinephone is ridiculously cool but I can’t quite justify it as a daily driver at the moment. I encourage you to get one, just don’t have too high of expectations as of yet.

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum but I use GNU/Linux since 17 years ago, I’m in fond of Python programming.

I hope I’ll learn some new tricks and have some help when I face rare issues.

2 Likes

Hi there !

I’m Nicolas, I used or tried debian, ubuntu, fedora a few years back. Tried Arch last year but I got some serious over-heating problems after a few months and failed to correct them.

I decided to get back to a fresh Arch install to see if the problem was resolved, but I was a bit annoyed by the idea of getting through the arch install process again. Eventually I did try but got some Network Manager issue. Then I discovered Manjaro while looking for a distro, possibly arch Distro.

Changed my life ! Okay I’m a bit exagerating here, but I’d like to send warm thanks the team because Manjaro is amazingly easy to install, and everything works out of the box, it’s just pure pleasure !

Thanks to every one ! Great work ! I’m going to the donate page to support this further :wink:

Nicolas
PS: I’m french

5 Likes

Hello,

My name is Matt, I am new to linux. I tried Ubuntu and some other derivatives and finally settled on learning Manjaro.

I only have about a day of use on each distro I tried but something just keeps me wanting to learn Manjaro / Arch.

I mostly game and am learning some coding. Other than that just a general laptop use.

I look forward to learning what everyone has to give.

Thanks.

3 Likes