Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Hi All, nice to be here

1 Like

Hi, I’m Martin and a longtime Linux user, > 20 years. My machines:

Sinclair ZX81 … Atari ST … Manjaro Linux

I tried Gnome, KDE and XFCE and the latter is my desktop environment of choice, for now. So long…

4 Likes

Hi all!
New to MJ.

What drives me “nuts-est” about Linux:

• Snap
  • Secure Boot
  • Grub with the above
  • Slow mirror sites

And to be fair, a certain amount of quibbles as a long term Windows (first used 1.0 in 1986) user:

• Interop/dual-boot with x-nixes (first used FreeBSD ca. 1990) although I like WSL2 somewhat, still playing w WSLg
  • High hardware requirements each new integer release, witness 11 where I can’t use a Surface Pro4 even though there is GPU and TPM support
  • Whole lotta big brother, too much even though it’s everywhere in the ApGooAmaSoftBook space
2 Likes

welcome! just joined the forum myself, and I’m a little more hesitant to cut the cord. Thererfore, I’ve been doing a lot of dabbling with USB external drives, as they get faster and cheaper, and the interfaces, i.e., USB 3.2/C/Thunderbolt 3/4.

So, no harm done trying out 5-8 different flavors; that way I get to keep Windows alive, play with WSL and the like, and keep my MS-DOS skills sharp! Let’s face it, powershell and BASH aren’t that far apart!

Hi guys; I’m Roberto from Italy,
I’ve downloaded manjaro xfce for my old compaq 6720s.
I’m going to try it next days, and I will surely have a lot of questions for more experienced guys than me…

Regards,
Roberto

5 Likes

Hi Everybody!

I’m fairly new to Linux, been using it since win7 support was dropped and enjoying the experience and freedom!
I’ve been using Manjaro on laptop for the last 12 months and am really happy with it. I also have a Pinephone running Manjaro Phosh which is fun for tinkering with Linux Mobile!
Thanks for everyones hard work!

4 Likes

hello im new to this community
and to linux also Hai Friends …

3 Likes

hello,

been an Linux user for 20+ odd years now, IT professional for a living - switched to manjaro on my home desktop and my mind was blown. arch, that just… works? wait, what? cool beans. count me in. pacman is yummier and much more fun than apt-get :rofl:

5 Likes

This is true.
But extra yummy if you uncomment #ILoveCandy in /etc/pacman.conf :yum:

2 Likes

@jpalko: Nice. I have been using Linux since 1997. Also a distro hopper like yourself. I think I might finally find a distro to stay with #Manjaro. Good to have you. Also new here and welcome in. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey guys! Took a short break from Manjaro after building a new gaming rig for about a year. I’ve toyed with various distros dating back to the early 2000’s. I was about 12 or 13 I think? Always had to come back to Windows for various reasons. I’m committed now. I’ve completely wiped my win10 drives and I am not looking back!

4 Likes

Don’t mind me if I like your post. :slight_smile:

I am really proud of #Manjaro. The only thing I can say is that this works. Of course there are a few minute details, but I believe that even a noob can start using this. :v: Besides, I am also sure that the team is working on those things.

2 Likes

please do, i’m interested in your experience!

sudo pacman -Syu && echo -e "I \vLove \vCandy"

:laughing:

hello,
i am josh bez, how are you everyone

Hi All,

I’ve just finally installed Manjaro, after doing a bit of testing of different distros on VirtualBox VMs. I have tried moving over from Windows to Linux a couple of times already over the last few years. I went with Ubuntu, like most switchers, I assume. Both times something has gone badly wrong, and the famously wonderful Ubuntu support has not been as amazing as it’s reputed to be :~) The forum support was really good when I first tried Ubuntu, about five years ago, but it seems to have gone to the dogs a bit by now. Also now Ubuntu just consistently fails to install, whether from a USB or DVD. Clearly it’s time to try something else (rather than rant about Ubuntu, sorry!), and Manjaro passed my aesthetics test, as I was able quite easily to get the following three working on the VM without too much hastle:

1. Workspace Matrix
  2. Cairo Dock
  3. Variety wallpaper changer

It’s actually amazing that it should be so difficult for the others! The Manjaro installation was also fine, showing that there was something seriously wrong with the Ubuntu iso file, and not my PC!

Anyway, I guess the first thing that I’m going to do is to follow this list of things to do after installing Manjaro. It’s for the XFCE shell, and I installed Gnome, but shall I assume that that’s mostly all the same? Also, I suppose I’m just keen to know if there are any good tutorials to read up about the key differences between Ubuntu and Manjaro (and more broadly between Arch and Debian, I suppose). I did look at a couple of pages last night, but they were fairly short and I wouldn’t say I learned an enormous amount. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

Please dont follow guides like that.
Or if you must … research their suggestions before applying.
Commonly they are too vague, too specific, outdated, opinionated, or plainly wrong.

For example in this case we have a few things like …

• Enable AUR and Install Redshift are statements … but “Consider LTS kernel” ?
  • We are instructed to both sort mirrors, and install new packages, but not told to update ?
    (this can easily lead to problems with those installations and/or a partial-upgrade[=broken]!)
  • It suggests using bleachbit, which can be extremely volatile.

etc …

Most everything you need to know outside of particular cases is likely covered in the wiki(s)

wiki.manjaro.org

wiki.archlinux.org

1 Like

Ah, OK, thanks for the note of caution :~)

I’ll try to be careful!

Sure :slight_smile:

As a nugget … when you first start, before installing new packages, you want to sync with the mirrors and update. It makes sense to sort the mirrors first. And remember - we always do a full db refresh and upgrade after touching mirrors. Anyways heres that, using attempt at localized mirrors:

sudo pacman-mirrors -g && sudo pacman -Syyu

(if there are any big updates like kernels or modules etc … reboot)

Now you are from a good stable/synced starting point and go ahead and install and tweak as you like.

1 Like

OK, gotcha! Well, I haven’t done anything yet. Writing from Windows just now (dual-booting), but I’ll change over for my first investigations later tonight :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I guess the first thing (or one of the first things) is to understand the difference between pacman and apt-get. I’ll have a look at that later!

By the way, this forum has already got one up on the Ubuntu forum in my eyes, as it’s easy to upload images here (as easy as it obviously should be). My God - those Ubuntu guys make things so difficult.