Welcome and introduce yourself - 2020

Hi all.
I’m a Linux user from 2002 but I started using Manjaro-KDE only 2 months ago as main OS after many years of Debian-stable (and testing) on my laptop and desktop. I love KDE and now I wonna try something hot and rolling from my old box.

:hot_pepper:

10 Likes

I’ve been using Manjaro for what, 5 years now I think?
Been on the old forums for just as long. My name was the same as on the old forum (I think). Unless I have an issue for which I’m looking for a fix, my online activity changes between reading up every day and no actively for months depending on my mood.

I’m a student software engineering, got huge interest in human-like AI and social human-computer interaction. I do some projects with businesses during my study and tend to have side jobs too. Since I follow an altered studyplan due to the lack of study for what I wanna do, I’ve been studying for too long, but at least it gives some time to get experience and extra skills before getting on the job market lol.

Otherwise I like playing games, modding games, messing with computer and other IT stuff just because, listening to music, drinking tea and watching Chinese palace drama (like 延禧攻略). I’m from The Netherlands, but if things go as planned, work might move me to Japan as they’re the biggest in my main field of interest. I speak Dutch, English, some German, some Japanese, and some Mandarin. I’m still actively working on improving the later two.

I once decided I should try Linux as it seemed a useful skill to learn. I did some research on different distributions their pros and cons and decided to try Manjaro. So one day I completely overwrote the Windows on my work laptop with Manjaro under the idea “now I have to learn how to use it, can’t just switch to Windows because it’s easier to use what you’re used to” and that’s quite an effective way of learning. I used Manjaro for school and work ever since. However, I’m far from a pro. I feel like a noob compared to some on the old forums, and undoubtly also some on the new forums.

Did have to use some others like Ubuntu, Debian and Kali for certain projects, but always liked Manjaro more as daily use OS. Powerful, easy to use and stable. Still using Windows 10 on my desktop for gaming, altrough I do play around and test getting my games to work on Manjaro every now and then. It’s improving, but not there yet to make a switch to 100% Linux only. Some of my favourites are TES 3, 4, 5, and Online, Divinity II: Ego Draconis, the Yakuza/龍が如くserries, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but I played much more.

I’m one of those people who doesn’t really hate any OS, I can see pros and cons to pretty much any of them, but some are just not for me personally. Still, might be great for other users. We all have different usages and preferences after all.

Oh, and I like to use KDE and dark themes.

I think that’s all there is to say about me? But if there is something more you’ld like to know, feel free to ask.

12 Likes

Hi I’m Andy from the UK. Been on linux for 4 years now mainly on Mint. Made the switch to Manjaro a month ago and really enjoying it so far

10 Likes

Hi! I’m Sido, using Linux already 6 years now, from Kali to Debian to Ubuntu and almost 2 years on Manjaro.

Hi! to all of you !

10 Likes

Hi from Portugal …
As several have already replied: This is the third forum for me …

Distro hoped Linux since 1998, found Manjaro 0.8.3 some years ago and never looked back …

So lets keep rolling Manjaro community and present Devs …

11 Likes
9 Likes

Hello from Bangkok, Thailand! I thought I’d seize the opportunity to introduce myself on the new forums! On-and-off Linux user for the past 10 years, been very satisfied with Linux Mint in the past 5-6 years but was looking to widen my experience with Linux and wander outside of the Debian environement and I was also looking for less conservative / more cutting edge software and Arch/Manjaro seemed very interesting. Manjaro was the logical next step for me, as I’m not willing to devote the required time to build my OS from scratch with traditional Arch (My background is in International Affairs, and although I am a tech enthusiast, Manjaro represents the best of both worlds, allowing me to benefit from Arch/cutting edge kernels/software without having to invest so much time in building an Arch Linux system). I’m from Québec, Canada, but now live full-time in Thailand, where I joined a few Linux user communities, which is a great opportunity to develop new relationships with the people here.

Still struggling a little bit with KDE and some of its concepts (activities and weird widgets at least from where I’m coming from) as I was really comfortable with Cinnamon but Nemo was not well suited for my NAS/SMB shares, and it seems like KDE/Dolphin is much more customizable and better at managing my network situation with no memory leaks, so I’m trying to slowly but surely getting used to it. Really like the community here so far.

I have a few issues I need to solve in the upcoming months, especially regarding my hybrid Intel/Geforce GTX 860M graphics, since I can’t seem to run any game using Steam/Proton at the moment, and I’m forced to reboot into my old Windows 10 install (which I despise) when I want to game. Other than that, the transition from Debian/Ubuntu/Mint has been pretty easy, and I look forward to familiarize myself more with the Arch way and its community. Manjaro is a fascinating project and I hope I can get to fix most of my issues in the near future.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Hello everyone!

I touched a little of Mandriva and Debian back in the old days but never really got into it.
I’ve worked as a System Engineer several years, with Citrix and Windows environments. My job has recently (February) changed of area, no more computer science. As a technical geek, I felt a little bored during Covid19 lockdown. Oh? Why not trying Linux…?

My 9 years-old Dell has been a nightmare to run for ages, so slow to boot, so laggy… I’ve tested first Xubuntu, meh, then discovered Linux Mint Cinnamon. Cute. Liked also Ubuntu Budgie. Ohh new distro…

I fell in love with Manjaro Cinnamon and stopped my brief distro-hopping. I thought of trashing my laptop last year, it’s a new youth for it. After several months reading the former forum, I’ll wander in this new one.

8 Likes

Hi all,

Still considered myself a new user of Manjaro. Been using it exclusively on my production machine for less than a year. No other OS. It’s Linux exclusive. Manjaro only. Great experience so far. Lots to learn.

This is my 2nd chance to participate on Manjaro’s forum. I’m Jack from the previous one. That name was apparently unavailable on here. So, I’m Hax from here onward.

Looking forward to learn from you all and paying it forward when possible.

Cheers!

10 Likes

Hello everyone!

Formerly known as MonkeeCat. I figured, new forum, new avatar! This is my third forum as well. Hoping third time’s a charm, as others have expressed!

I’ve been a casual Linux user for more than 10 years now (could that be right?) and started using Manjaro several years back when I grew tired of Ubuntu flavors, had a brief layover with Tumbleweed but wanted to try an Arch based distro, so here I am. Also, the community has always been friendly and helpful here.

I binned an old slow netbook when the movement towards 64-bit Manjaro accelerated and my Ivy Bridge era Dell laptop took to Manjaro like a duck to water, although I did swap my wifi card from Broadcom to Intel, and my hard drive for an SSD, all for the better. I always enjoyed the idea of giving new life to older refurbished PCs on the cheap. This is the original KDE install on this machine and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon, still works great.

Looking forward to a long future using Manjaro. Cheers!

8 Likes

Hello everyone!

When I see such introductions in forums, I have to smile quite a bit. I imagine it’s like this in real life:

A circle of people all sharing the same fate:

Megavolt: Hello!

All: Hello, Megavolt!

Megavolt: I was in a cult.

One says: That’s good. Just let it out. We’re among friends.

Megavolt: I’ve been using Microsoft Windows and I’ve been totally out for six years. There were many relapses, but I knew: I’ll make it someday!

Another one says: We all have this experience. And each of us has his own story of suffering. Would you like to share a story with us?

Megavolt: I started when I was young and got a computer for my birthday. I didn’t know what Windows was, I just started the computer and thought that was it. At school I only had Windows.

Then we got internet in the house. I heard about OpenSuse and wanted to know more. It would take days to download! But I took it in hand and ran my PC for 3 days. My parents just complained and said: “What a power consumption! Turn off that stupid box and go play outside!” But I stood firm. After I burned the CD and started it, it took me 8 days to install it correctly! But then I felt this freedom! That feeling of having a system that’s not Windows after days of work! Indescribable!
I was laughed at, smiled at and excluded: “How dare you?” I was reproached again and again. At some point I gave in and started using Windows again. I couldn’t talk to any of my friends anymore. I was branded as a Linux user.

But when I moved out of my parents’ house, my decision was firm: I installed Ubuntu and became a loyal disciple of the liberal Linux community.

One of them said: It’s good that you shared the story with us. We are happy to welcome you into our midst. This will warn more people against using Windows. This sect of slavery should be avoided. And we’re all here to catch the frustrated and broken Windows users and give them a home. Does anyone else want to tell their story?

The story in dialogue is based on true facts. No one should feel attacked.

22 Likes

Awesome intro! :star_struck:

3 Likes

I’m Lucas, from Brazil and I’ve been using Manjaro XFCE for some days due to the many issues Windows 10 has and also due to the possibility of having total control over the OS :slight_smile:

I found out Manjaro after googling “lightweight Linux distros” and here I am, enjoying the OS a lot and also having a lot of questions to make :v

Welcome y’all :slight_smile:

11 Likes

WOW that was a waste of time Hi I’ve been a forum member for over 2 years but my account got deleted LOL I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn’t sign in. They should maybe put a notice on the login page that a bunch of accounts were closed to let you know you aren’t crazy.
Now to go figure out why the doohickey wont work on my install.

-MattBatt

10 Likes

Hi. My name is Brandon, previous acquaintance of the old forum with eleven years of Ubuntu experience. After seeing the Arch build system in action with the AUR, I’ve compelled myself to stick with Arch, specifically Manjaro because of its more user-friendly approach for newbies and intermediates alike.

My software habits in Ubuntu were questionable at best, but at least with Manjaro I can have most of what I like without the need to compile by hand or be forced into using outdated versions due to my more novice understanding of back-end, technical aspects. Though, what I do know, I know well enough to offer some support for my niches.

8 Likes

Hey, I’m Matt. I hopped in from Pop!_OS a short while ago because I wanted to peek around and see what the whole Manjaro / Arch experience is like. It’s not bad, and I think I might prefer it, for a number of reasons. Manjaro’s Arch base made me question taking the leap and distro hopping but I must say that this distro is really well put together.

Funnily enough my quirks with Ubuntu based distributions were similar to Brandon, above me. As much as the AUR is unsupported, I still take quite a lot of advantage of it, but I’d say I’m seasoned enough in this whole Linux thing to be able to resolve any issues I may come across as a result.

If it’s visible at all, the forum reports me on Windows due to the fact that my installation of Firefox resists fingerprinting.

Nice to meet all of you!

10 Likes

Sorry if I’m really late to the party here as I had to wait for a replacement monitor to arrive today. I’ve been part of the old forum since the end of May and got Forum Regular status just days before all hell broke loose, if you know what I mean. :smile:

I’m a Manjaro convert from Windows 10, a system admin around my house, and a Python and web programmer mainly working with Django and Wagtail CMS. I’ve used Manjaro since I first installed it on a laptop in December last year, and it’s my daily driver OS since I installed it on my main desktop PC in late January/early February, You can learn more about me by reading my self-introduction post in the old forum and my post on why I chose Manjaro and KDE over Windows 10.

Outside of that, I’m a big fan of classical and baroque music, cute anime especially the Love Live! series, and stuffed animals. My hobbies include building a CD library, photography, tracking the weather in my area, and hiking.

It’s nice to meet you all, and I hope this new forum is as welcoming as the old one!

11 Likes

Hi all, Bill in Vermont, USA here. I used Linux for work in the 90s, then went back to school and drifted away. Started dual booting with windows in 2008 and switched to Linux on my daily drivers in 2014. I used a variety of .deb based distros until 2016, when I switched my thinkpad to plasma on OpenSuse Tumbleweed which I love.

Now experimenting with a PinePhone braveheart and a PineBook Pro, both of which I have tried Manjaro on. Seems like a great OS with a very active community, so I’m hoping for good things.

Thanks to all the devs and community members for your hard work making this great OS!

10 Likes

Hello again from South England.
Terminal noob but keen learner.

Came from a W10 desktop and an Ubuntu laptop.

Glad to see the forum up and running again.

lurking begins

12 Likes

Hi all!

I began with my Linux experience around a year ago; I’ve been distro hopping between Ubuntu, Pop OS and Linux Mint. At the end of 2019 I bought a Pinebook Pro and when it came I tried Manjaro. After this experience, I switched all my other computers to this incredible OS and I’ve been enjoying this community since then!

Thanks to all of you for this amazing OS and this incredible forum that has solved more than one problem over this year in the community.

11 Likes