Waybar fails to load after system update

Greetings,

After I ran a standard system update over the weekend, swaybar fails to load. This has had a minor impact on my productivity, but I would like to get into it for anyone else’s sake.

Saturday evening I ran # pacman -Syyu and woke up the following morning after restarting my system to find the swaybar refuses to load. Searching topics I found one could reload sway manually using swaymsg reload however, this did not resolve the problem.

Summary
swaymsg reload

Feb 26 08:13:44 tower1 systemd[2291]: Stopping Foot terminal server mode...
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A stop job for unit UNIT has begun execution
β–‘β–‘ Defined-By: systemd
β–‘β–‘ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A stop job for unit UNIT has begun execution.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 514.
Feb 26 08:13:44 tower1 systemd[2291]: Stopped Foot terminal server mode.
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A stop job for unit UNIT has finished
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A stop job for unit UNIT has finished.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 514 and the job result is done.
Feb 26 08:13:44 tower1 systemd[2291]: Started Foot terminal server mode.
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 514.
Feb 26 08:13:44 tower1 systemd[1]: Starting Locale Service...
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A start job for unit systemd-localed.service has begun execution
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A start job for unit systemd-localed.service has begun execution.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 2485.
Feb 26 08:13:45 tower1 foot[12265]: warn: wayland.c:1509: fractional scaling not available
Feb 26 08:13:45 tower1 foot[12265]: warn: wayland.c:1512: no server-side cursors available, falling back to client-side cursors
Feb 26 08:13:45 tower1 foot[12265]: wayland: fractional scaling not available
Feb 26 08:13:45 tower1 foot[12265]: wayland: no server-side cursors available, falling back to client-side cursors

A topic was published a few weeks ago describing a similar case: [link could not be added] Topic #156039. I could not determine how one would enable sway-service within the greetd config at /etc/greetd/config.toml file. Any insight on this would help.

Running journalctl -xe fails to provide any errors related to swaybar, in fact none are reported.

Whenever I manually try to start swaybar from systemd, I get the following error;

doas systemctl --user restart waybar.service 
Failed to connect to bus: No medium found

I’m not really sure how to proceed aside from completely re-installing sway-desktop and restoring from a fresh backup. This will kill an entire day for me, but I’ll probably end up doing it sooner than later. Please let me know if there is any possible way to debug for more info or restore swaybar. I’ve of course attempted re-installing sway-settings and the swaybar application, but the issue persisted.

Anyway, off to work.
With Gratitude

–

1. Swaybar != Waybar
  2. You can’t run an user service as root.
  3. Did you update the user configs as described in the update log?
  1. Okay.
  2. I run the systemd command as me, this is the error I get now;
Summary
systemctl --user start waybar.service

Feb 26 21:05:08 tower1 systemd[2291]: Current sway user session is inactive.
Feb 26 21:05:08 tower1 systemd[2291]: Dependency failed for Highly customizable Wayland bar for Sway and Wlroots based compositors..
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has failed
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A start job for unit UNIT has finished with a failure.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 601 and the job result is dependency.
Feb 26 21:05:08 tower1 systemd[2291]: waybar.service: Job waybar.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
  1. Where do I find these config changes, specifically, within the update log? Please provide a link. I looked through the github issue tracker. I looked through the forums here. This is not a useful hint unless I have the exact link. Thank you.

I took a closer look… on my side the services are all dead, did you switch? Usually waybar is started within the sway config.

waybar.sh is defined in definitions as statusbar and it is started with the normal config.

You would see that while updating and it is recorded in /var/log/pacman.log. That is what I mean with β€œupdate log”. Example:

[2024-02-22T12:46:28+0100] [ALPM] upgraded manjaro-sway-settings (16.12.1-6 -> 16.14.0-6)
[2024-02-22T12:46:28+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ## in order to update your user configuration, run: skel
[2024-02-22T12:46:28+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ## in order to apply your user configuration, run: swaymsg reload

Personally I have not issue, but I am on unstable branch.

Update

1. I did an upgrade today.
[2024-02-27T14:08:06+0100] [ALPM] upgraded manjaro-sway-settings (16.14.0-6 -> 16.15.0-7)
[2024-02-27T14:08:06+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ## in order to update your user configuration, run: skel
[2024-02-27T14:08:06+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ## in order to apply your user configuration, run: swaymsg reload
  1. Just run skel
  2. reboot (due kernel upgrade), otherwise a reload (SUPER+SHIFT+C) is not enough (it works, but the theme of waybar gets not applied), but a restart, so: logout β†’ login.

Thanks for the clarification, I checked the update log and it matched what you had posted. I ran skel and ran swaymsg reload - the waybar does not come back.

I rebooted and the waybar did not come back.

I navigated to /usr/share/sway/scripts and ran waybar.sh manually, this is the error I get now.

waybar: error while loading shared libraries: libcava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to install libcava with pacman, but this package no longer seems to exist.

libcava appears to be an AUR script

$ pamac search --aur libcava
libcava  0.9.1-2                                                   AUR
    Fork to provide cava as a shared library, e.g. used by
    waybar. Cava is not provided as executable.

I use Waybar v0.9.24 and ldd doesn’t reveal that it is actually uses libcava.so. Do you use waybar-cava from the AUR?

No, I did not install waybar-cava from AUR.

I cannot even get waybar to shoot back which version it is, the missing dependency completely breaks it. Checking pacman - it reports I have version 0.9.24-3

I tried to install libcava and cava from the AUR. Rebooted and still stuck on this problem.

perhaps my next step in this chain is to completely purge waybar, reboot then reinstall waybar? No?

Sorry, but hard to believe. It must be a waybar binary which compiled with -Dcava=enabled. The waybar binary of archlinux/manjaro is not compiled with that parameter.

Okay, well I’m still stuck.

Going to reinstall manjaro-sway.

My next step was purging manjaro-sway-settings and waybar, rebooting. Confirming the sway settings had been removed. I then reinstalled them from a shell (use CTRL+ALT+F3) However this didn’t immediately resolve the issue. The dependency was still broken.

I did a little more digging as to what was causing the libcava dependency to fail, and I found this note on the official AUR page for the library –

'ninja -C build' failing

[19/19] Linking target libcava.so FAILED: libcava.so ... {standard input}: Assembler messages: {standard input}:11: Error: file not found: example_files/config {standard input}:31: Error: file not found: src/output/shaders/bar_spectrum.frag {standard input}:51: Error: file not found: src/output/shaders/northern_lights.frag {standard input}:71: Error: file not found: src/output/shaders/pass_through.vert make: *** [/tmp/ccgCo6KP.mk:2: /tmp/ccLMBjXP.ltrans0.ltrans.o] Error 1

For whatever reason, manually building it works allowing anyone to continue after this process.

This summarizes my exact issues when attempting to install libcava from AUR so I went and installed it manually from the github page. Follow the manual installation steps.

libcava will be installed into the /usr/lib/ directory, you will need to create a symlink to the root /lib directory. After this was done I reloaded sway and the manjaro themed waybar appeared.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The actual problem here likely is, that you didn’t start the β€œservice” session, which you should select from the greeter. The regular sway session starts sway, but services depending on certain targets to be reached, won’t start.

Has somebody got an idea how to β€œhide” the regular sway session? I could try and add a fallback for the regular session, but systemd is the way I want to structure more things going forward and I wouldn’t want to add fallbacks for too many things. Also waybar sometimes tried to start before sway was fully started, effectively leading to it not being started at all. So using targets, things should be more stable.

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same problem from the same reason: an update.
Could you speicify how to fix? Thanks!

I lost a lot of services:

A dependency job for way-displays.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
A dependency job for sworkstyle.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
A dependency job for sworkstyle.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
A dependency job for pcmanfm.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
A dependency job for waybar.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
A dependency job for foot-server.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.

For the swaybar, if I start swaybar in the command line:

swaybar                                                                     ξ‚² βœ” 
00:00:00.000 [swaybar/main.c:77] No bar_id passed. Provide --bar_id or let sway start swaybar

Then I

$ swaymsg -t get_bar_config                                                    
[]

Is it normal to have this empyt list as the bar id in bar config?

I’m also having the same problem since ~20 minutes. When I start sway I get few error messages :

A dependency job for waybar.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
A dependency job for foot-server.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.

journalctl -xe gives

mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Current sway user session is inactive.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Dependency failed for Renames workspaces to the icons configured.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 1487 and the job result is dependency.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: sworkstyle.service: Job sworkstyle.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Dependency failed for Highly customizable Wayland bar for Sway and Wlroots based compositors..
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 1576 and the job result is dependency.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: waybar.service: Job waybar.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Reloading requested from client PID 13270 ('systemctl')...
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Reloading...
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Reloading finished in 75 ms.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Current sway user session is inactive.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: Dependency failed for Foot terminal server mode.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 1620 and the job result is dependency.
mars 15 17:11:38 tibo-precision5540 systemd[762]: foot-server.service: Job foot-server.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

Also note that that’s not the only problem I’m facing, sway is way longer to start, my background is not displayed (I have a black screen instead).
I tried to log via sway-user-service but it did not help.

1 Like

Same here. I spent about 1 hour fixing it but no success.

At my side:
I type my password to login the Greetd, then it hangs a bit about 2 seconds, then I can see sway but no swaybar and other functionalites as Super+Enter to get shell.

In tuigreet, press F3 to select the service session.

As mentionned before I tried that already and it did nothing more than my other sway session. Sway takes a lot of time to load, few services are broken, no background, and many more things that I have not diagnosticated (?)

1 Like

The next version will readd waybar for the non-session mode. Other than that, you bug report isn’t giving me enough to work with. I have three different machines that I continuously update. Apparently I didn’t catch something that you have…

I fixed my setup by updating greetd configuration, following the Manjaro Sway FAQ. Maybe your configuration file is outdated too.

sudo curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Manjaro-Sway/iso-profiles/sway/community/sway/desktop-overlay/etc/greetd/config.toml -o /etc/greetd/config.toml