Warning: grub: local is newer than core

I reverted back to r261 for a reason. If you insist on fiddling around with r322, perhaps follow Arch’s new instructions:

# Give a hint to update installation and configuration one after another.
  cat <<EOM
:: To use the new features provided in this GRUB update, it is recommended
   to install it to the MBR or UEFI. Due to potential configuration
   incompatibilities, it is advised to run both, installation and generation
   of configuration:
     \$ grub-install ...
     \$ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
EOM

Also see:

@Yochanan I’m on grub-2.06.r261.g2f4430cc0-1-x86_64 which was installed from the live iso. Notice that I could boot to it while the option “manjaro” was available but couldn’t when there is only “UEFI OS”, both for the same drive.

Follow-up:

If you had clicked my link above, you would have already seen that…

You seem to be lost out in left field by yourself. Not sure what else to suggest since everything should already have been covered.

I did everything right, must be another bug. Will wait until grub is updated and see what happens.

Are you sure? There had been no reported issues with r261 before I pushed r297 and r322 to unstable for testing.

We’re not planning to update it from r261 anytime soon due to the current issues with newer commits.

I’d say try out rEFInd. It’s neat.

Finally got it fixed. There are two UEFI entries: /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi and /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi, and for some reason this latest one was disappearing.
I’ve reinstalled grub (again) and now the two entries appear (again) on select boot device.

Also now I use the manjaro .efi for both since the fist one does not boot:

sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

All the information is in the thread:

Where did that come from? Neither Manjaro nor GRUB created it. Anyway, it should be /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi.

/boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi was created on my system Nov 21 2020, probably by Calamares because it must be when I first installed Manjaro.

I see that Windows may use EFI/Boot, others use EFI/boot and others EFI/BOOT so I presume it must be insensitive case.

/boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi is default for me after installation.

But cd or ls does not care about case because of FAT32 unlike other filesystems e.g. EXT4 is case sensitive.

You can try to check ls /boot/efi/EFI/bOOt/ that works.

1 Like

@Zesko I thought cd or ls were case sensitive regardless of filesystem…

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.