Moderator's lesson of the day: How to handle a flame war on an announcement

Why should I search for the answers? You literally just copied and pasted a non-staffer’s opinion from from a 2017 forum thread that I linked to in my previous reply.

:rofl:

@winnie @yannssolo @tuxmanjarino

What the hell is going on?

I’m getting one flag per minute in this conversation, so I moved all of the flagged posts and all of the original posts that got flagged responses to them into this unlisted thread…

So please:

stop flaming one another and give me 7 minutes to read what this is all about!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t respond until I’ve read everything!

4 Likes

I meant to include this as an edit to a previous post:

UPDATE: I won’t revise my posts (for the sake of transparency :wink: ) but I want to interject with this:

@tuxmanjarino I have nothing against you, nor am I upset, as contentious as these types of threads naturally evolve towards.

We’re all on the same boat here to help each other out. So I’ll stop replying on this subject, as in the end it’s up to each user what software they wish to use.

I still stand by my preferences (and what others have added) in our previous replies. I would rather see Chromium or Firefox as the default “shipped with” browsers, with other browsers available through the official repositories and AUR.

With that said, I understand this is an “announcement” thread. However, I hope the Manjaro team does not view an announcement as a mandate from its community. (You can see by the divide in this very thread.)

I shared my views on Vivaldi’s development. I’ll leave it there.

:dove:

Hi Fabby,

I do not know to be honest. I was expressing my opinions related to Vivaldi on Manjaro Cinnamon, with other people, so that was fine.
But, you know, i can’t go over when one says i am trolling, especially when i made sure to be respectful and no attack against anybody, so i flagged the message accusing me for being a troll because this is insulting, in my opinion.

So, literally you dont want manjaro to have vivaldi as its default browser because it is proprietary!

1 Like

Proved nothing.

Your posts were just fine but it angered both of us because you showed that you disliked the browser because of it’s proprietary software

Anyways what is it you are doing that you need to be soooo private?

I think there was a confusion in the overall thread.

@yannssolo , myself, and others were pointing out the closed nature of Vivaldi (closed development, private bug tracker, questionable decisions, etc), and rather than attacking the browser head on, we were pointing out our concerns with it.

Where I really got heated is when Vivaldi PR or opinions are taken for granted, as a carte blanche for transparency: Just because a spokesperson says “We embrace openness and transparency!” doesn’t make it true. Anyone can claim anything in a press conference or blog post.

1 Like

The thing is i never said i don’t like Vivaldi as a browser and you know it. I was talking about Vivaldi as default, it was on my fist message, and then i repeated it two more times.

We are not here with our super-moderator Fabby to keep debating, please, we only talk about what happened.

Hold on!

• AFAIU, everyone in this conversation likes Vivaldi!
  • Vivaldi is a proprietary browser and that’s what some of you don’t like!

:crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

Is my understanding correct?

Use :+1: or :-1: below this post to tell me.

1 Like

See, this is trolling and a personal insult. Let’s not go there. I understand humorous jabs for the sake of joking around, but this comes off as a legitimate insult.

1 Like

Ok I will change it

1 Like

There done

Okay everyone, let’s REALLY give @Fabby some work to do. At the count of 3, let’s all attack each other viciously at the same time using ALL CAPITAL letters.

Ready?

3… 2… 1… GO!

1 Like

And use a bunch of random unicode characters

1 Like

I cannot do that, Fabby is like a nanny for us :slight_smile:

This would have been extremely funny in a bar over a few

:beer: :beer: :beer:

But with multiple flags flying around, it’s a hassle for the poor overworked moderators, so please don’t make me take out my mod tool:

Yes! All of you, please, hold up your left hand and count out on the fingers of said left hand how old you look right now!

(Hint: the maximum is 5!)

2 Likes

That’s because you’re a COWARD!!! (Incoming random characters… be prepared…)

$%$%@#$)!#(!#$@#$@#%(#*$@#)$!@#$ :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(Did I do that right?)

1 Like