Virtualbox: Loading modules: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert

I was trying to install virtualbox following the wiki instructions, and after installing my kernal module using sudo pacman -Syu virtualbox linux511-virtualbox-host-modules and running vboxreload to load it, but I’m getting:
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxnetflt': Exec format error
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxdrv': Exec format error
I made sure the module version is the same as my kernal version, I tried to reboot to but I also got failed load kernel modules, any help?

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:+1:

1 Like

Make sure you have DKMS as well as the kernel headers for your installed kernel. Then reboot, and then reinstall virtualbox, any modules that need to be rebuilt should be done automatically, then reboot again!

Once it is installed, you may then install Vbox extensions and you must also add yourself to the Vbox user group in order to be able to access external devices and what not.

use this command: sudo gpasswd -a $USER vboxusers
Note, if you leave $USER in the command, it will add your current logged in user.

You might need to check if your system is up to date in stable branch. Try to check if that is the case:

sudo pacman -Syyu

Okay gonna read it now, here is the output of An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
https://paste.ofcode.org/ti7kMgNxuVJfwCv6tpLnS5

Yes I’ve DKMS and keranl headers in my system, I reinstalled virtual box and added me user to vboxusers, but didn’t help too

Did you restart your system? I noticed you did not say you restarted your system, very important otherwise module building will fail.

Surly I’ve (I think about 3 times since I’ve got this problem)

I had the same problem, and after I updated my Linux kernel, it was fixed.
It looked like the versions of the kernels did not match.