Upgrading processor and motherboard, same manufacturer, do i need to reinstall Manjaro?

Hi, I am upgrading the hardware of my pc but still using an AMD cpu and an ASUS motherboard (only that they are from this decade).

I’ve seen a post about upgrading from Intel to AMD that strongly suggested a reinstall, but none regarding processors from the same manufacturer.

Would i need to reinstall Manjaro if i changed from an old AMD FX to a Ryzen 9?
And to generalize the question, would an Intel user need to do the same?

I suppose i could just plug in the drive with manjaro, disable secure boot and it’s good to go?
It can’t be that easy so i supposed i was missing something.
Maybe i’d have to reinstall grub? (if so if you know a link to a nice tutorial, particolarly if in written form, it would be extremely appreciated).

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to respond.

resources i found but i’m unsure apply to my question

post PC build upgrade edit: i didn’t even need to update grub. It just worked almost flawlessly.
I had to restart the compositor on first startup because it had some weird graphical glitches (I still have a NVIDIA GPU sooo). Turn it off then on again never had the glitches again. I have no idea why it did that but it’s not really a problem. Just a peculiarity.

I don’t think you have to do anything specific.

Did you modify the /etc/default/grub? You might have added CPU-specific kernel parameters.

I am puzzling why one would suggest a reinstall when a CPU has been changed. Make no sense. Even if it is the GPU. By default both must be installed and xorg detect plus choose the correct driver, since amd and intel have both open source driver.

No.

No. Just switch some parameter. For example the microcode.

If it is the same mainboard and you didn’t reset the NVRAM, then yes. Otherwise you need to reinstall the bootloader “grub” or exactly: create a new UEFI boot entry , which is done by grub-install.

In general it is that easy… just the boot entry might be recreated on the new system.

2 Likes

It can actually very well be, and will appear very logical once you understand how things work:

• You need some BIOS settings configured in order to boot Manjaro, and more broadly any Linux distribution.
  • Hardware usually require drivers in order to be used, but a lot of those have already been included over time – except for some very new hardware though.
  • Furthermore, AMD is a rather good player in FOSS, providing open-source drivers for their hardware, and bundle compatibility for most of them in the same packages.

This is why, besides configuring your new BIOS the same way you did on your previous, you may not need any change in the system whatsoever for supporting the new hardware.

:wink:

1 Like

Just checked, i have nothing specific activated.
And given the generous (and surprisingly speedy) replies It seems i’ll just have to recreate the bootloader on the new system.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.