If I change motherboard and CPU I have to reinstall Manjaro?

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum so I thank you in advance those wishing to dedicate my time and answer! I have just finished configuring my manjaro exactly how I like it; Soon, however, I will have to change the CPU and the motherboard by passing from Intel to Ryzen; So I would like to ask you if with these changes it is necessary to make a clean installation of the operating system or Manjaro is able to configure himself for the new motherboard and CPU; Or it is possible to keep the operating system as it is only by making small targeted changes; Explanations are welcome to learn how to move with Manjaro. Thank you !

i think it is the most painless to get a working system. do a backup and make a clean install. that’s the way i would always prefer, regardless which os even windows is.

I agree with @Olli I would reinstall the OS, there is such a difference between these hardwares. That will probably be the easiest way to get a fully working system after the change.

Regarding the motherboard change:
There is nothing to do in your system. Rather, you may need to configure your new motherboard’s BIOS to use similar settings than your previous one, like about Secure Boot, drive boot order, AHCI, etc.
One thing to note though, if you have multiple drives: make sure that your mount configurations use UUIDs so they stay valid. Otherwise your partition names may change.

Regarding the CPU change:
Depending on its age, you may need a more recent kernel to support it. Otherwise, simply switching from intel-ucode to amd-ucode is enough, so that your new CPU get microcode updates.

3 Likes

I don’t think you’ll need to reinstall. The kernel is equipped with all drivers you need. There is nothing really specific to the mainboard or processor.

You’re new Mainboard should be informed about your EFI boot loader, you’ll probably have to reinstall Grub.

However, there are some configuration options.

1. The microcode package should be changed from Intel to AMD. (I don’t know how that works on a default grub.)
  2. If you have hardcoded partition devices in your /etc/fstab, your disks might have a different name after a Mainboard change. You should use UUIDs (or PARTUUIDs) anyway.
  3. If you have specific drivers or modules installed (onboard devices like Wifi or Ethernet) you should uninstall them. For them, you’ll not need special mkinitcpio hooks.
  4. Depending which network interface you’re using, the interface name might change, so you might have to change it in your network config as well. (NetworkManager might it need new configuration.)

If you don’t know what any of this means, you’re probably better off with a fresh installation.

2 Likes

The bootloader (EFI or MBR) is on a drive. The motherboard only needs to know which drive to look. No need to reinstall Grub.

A new connection using that new name will be created automatically. They may only need to reapply their previous settings (like custom DNSs) to the new connection, or edit the previous one to use the new interface.

2 Likes

I think the downside of reinstalling the operating system is losing all applications and interface settings.
In this sense, reinstalling Windows is a disaster, because you will waste days to have a system almost like before.

On the other hand, with linux I found very convenient that if you have a separate /home partition, after reinstalling on the root partition and being careful not to format /home or any other partiton, almost all of the previous settings are found (I’ve already done this twice).

So, with Manjaro, I feel like recommending a clean reinstall. :slightly_smiling_face:

ringrazio tutti dei vostri interessanti consigli, ho materiale da studiare e approfondire !