Update/upgrade manjaro testing/unstable

I’m coming form fedora kde plasma.

this is how i updated my apps on the fedora machine:

sudo dnf update --refresh && flatpak update

when there was a new fedora version i would do these:

sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=36

i read some manjaro documentation… do all of these commands be achieved with this?

sudo pamac upgrade -a

Does it update both flatpak and aur?

edit: do i need a different command if i use the testing/unstable branch?

Yes but dont use sudo with pamac.

Nope!

Links

Pacman Overview - Manjaro

Pamac - Manjaro

Pacman-mirrors - Manjaro

im using a wheel user with a locked root user

edit: i used this:

sudo passwd -l root

why do i need sudo with dnf and not with pamac?

Yes pamac can be called with or without sudo but the recommended way is indeed without.
Anyway that should not make a difference except for building packages from AUR because makepkg cannot be run as root.

wiki:

Warning Never use sudo with pamac. It will ask for escalated rights if it needs them

1 Like

i intend to install at least one AUR. If i want to update with

pamac upgrade -a

Will it require sudo just because of that AUR?

Why not just try on your own. It most probably will ask you the password but since you are running a wheel user it might not. Try both ways. I can’t predict.

Using pamac with sudo is not needed because pamac asks for root priveleges with polkit when it is necessary.

That the opposite.

I think using sudo with Pamac is not to be done to avoid issue when building AUR packages, but that kinda has been said already.

When elevated privileges are required a password prompt will be shown.

Also, you need to check Manjaro

does pamac upgrade -a update to newer kernels too?

edit:typos

Yes.
It upgrades all packages.
Please read the wiki (or some forum tutorials as linked above) for such basic information.

Does it upgrade browsers? Yes.
Word processor? Yes.
Kernels? Yes.
Drivers? Yes.
…et al …

The only thing it wont upgrade are things you installed manually.
(such as a github project you downloaded and compiled)

I thought pamac wouldn’t upgrade the kernel version used. So, kernel is installed manually either from mhwd-kernel or the manjaro settings.

This also means that you can get problems if the running kernel doesn’t support some of the upgraded driver, like NVIDIA proprietary drivers that only support some kernel version.

Updating the kernel doesn’t mean replacing an unmaintained removed kernel (like all the non LTS kernel that live a few months in Manjaro repositories).

Updating the kernel means that the kernel you are on (let say 5.15 for example) will receive its updates.

Pamac will not replace your kernels the day they are removed from Manjaro repositories. It is on you to follow the update announcement threads to keep informed of the supported kernels (basically if you have a LTS kernel it will live many years, while other non LTS kernel like the “latest and greatest” stay a few months until they become EOL).

Oh ok, it’s like security or bug fix updates but not the kernel version. I mixed it with upgrading to the newest kernel version.

To put it another way … each kernel release is a different package; 5.10, 5.14, 5.16.

Auto Remove 5.10 ? :no_entry_sign:

Auto Install 5.16.xx ? :no_entry_sign:

5.10.12 >> 5.10.18 ? :white_check_mark:

i’m confused now! do i have to manually select my kernel??? and manually delete the old ones?

or does pamac install/dispose of them for me?

Yes, you need to choose the kernel version you use. You probably won’t need this in a point-release distro like Fedora because they usually stick with single stable kernel version for each stable distro release, but choosing kernel version easily is something you’ll find in rolling-release distro.

You can install multiple kernel version in Manjaro by mhwd-kernel or from the GUI settings.

Pamac only updates kernel security and bug fixes, not the kernel version.

Pretty much that.

See also Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro

:point_up: