Update error Hibiscus does not start anymore - the security manager is deprecated and will be removed in a future release

Since last Update of Manjaro-keyring hibiscus banking is not starting anymore. Instead a pop-up windows is shown:

linux hibiscus error the security manager is deprecated and will be removed in a future release
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: The Security Manager is deprecated and will be removed in a future release
at java.base/java.lang.System.setSecurityManager(System.java:416)
at de.willuhn.jameica.services.SecurityManagerService.init(SecurityManagerService.java:41)
at de.willuhn.boot.BootLoader.resolve(BootLoader.java:139)
at de.willuhn.boot.BootLoader.resolve(BootLoader.java:119)
at de.willuhn.boot.BootLoader.getBootable(BootLoader.java:70)
at de.willuhn.jameica.system.Application.init(Application.java:103)
at de.willuhn.jameica.system.Application.newInstance(Application.java:87)
at de.willuhn.jameica.Main.main(Main.java:78)

I have found something here but I do not understand.
Deprecate the Security Manager for Removal

Is an AUR package so, most likely you have to rebuild it after a large system update. If that fails, maybe try hibiscus-nightly also from AUR.

As mentioned in the link you provided, their goal is:

So that popup does just that, notifies about it, and the developer of the application will have to rewrite some code to adopt a new mechanism.

1 Like

Great. Thanks now it works after.

pamac upgrade -a

I have read this would be even the more preferable option for upgrading pamac … if you want to catch all available updates/upgrades.. But I have not tried it because the first way was sufficient.

Just a question to the team, why is AUR not updated completely automatically if it is known there are sometimes problems after big updates?

pamac update --aur --devel

AUR updates are performed by Pamac when the PKGBUILD is newer version. Installed AUR packages that do not have an actual update will not be rebuild automatically. Only some apps require a rebuild against new libraries, not all, so to distinguish between them is beyond the scope of Manjaro and Pamac. See Arch User Repository - Manjaro

I can understand your point of view 100% from technical aspects but if an operating system wants to be most successful there several key factors to consider also from user side:

• easy installation, high compatibility and stability with devices
  • usability & support
  • available software. Involving AUR repository is extending the selection of software for ManjaroOS users dramatically. I am not the only user who is thinking like this.
    Maybe it should be seen not that “digital” as “no” to AUR support rather than trying to integrate (calmly) AUR as much as possible with moderate effort for the manjaro team.

A wording for marketing could be: "Manjaro Team tries to integrate other software repositories like AUR (and flatpak) as much as possible to provide the user a huge selection of software.
Still AUR and and flatpak are not part of Manjaro Core software. Therefore we do not provide support. Keep in mind. Possible risks using AUR package are:

• Multiple versions of the same packages.
  • Out of date packages.
  • Broken or only partially working packages.
  • Improperly configured packages which download unnecessary dependencies, or do not download necessary dependencies, or both.
  • Malicious packages (although extremely rare).

How do you think about such an approach?

Is not mine. It was always Manjaro’s position regarding AUR packages, the same as was and still is to Arch Linux Arch User Repository - ArchWiki

I think most distribution this days are quite solid, making them successful in that regard.

All that is already there.
pamac build AURpackage

Integration and Support are two different things. Availability and Reliability ratio should also not be mixed.

AUR has no role in Manjaro’s marketing and it can’t have one.

Your attitude is really interesting. Some time ago I posted a thread on archlinux forum. After some conversations I wrote that I am using manjaro the reaction was hostile. It was somehow like:
“We are not Manjaro. We do not want to have to do something with them. Go there”. The complete conversation was frozen and stopped than.

I believe Linux is a very good OS. It can compete with Windows and also with Mac with different strengths.

Look from the view of Microsoft and Apple. The only serious OS competition could be Linux but it isn’t.

The ancient Romans knew how to defeat their enemies. The called it “divide et impera” what means split the energy of your enemy, make him fight against each other than you can make him weak. If the enemy is weak you easily can control him and if necessary defeat him. This is also how the United Kingdom ruled the world before and how the US is acting in the world. This is also how Microsoft acts by supporting even Linux selectively.

Why do the many really smart people in the Linux community do not understand this? If they would collaborate wherever possible without loosing their individuality and specific strengths they could be a real threat for Microsoft and Apple. Linux could be much more powerful and major. But it isn’t like this.

Isn’t worth thinking about this? You are all very smart people!

From what i gather you actually never read the Arch Linux forum rules or code of conduct
where there is a specific section about Arch linux support only, nor you read the Forum Rules - Manjaro, hence you are surprised that your conversations lead to nowhere, or at least not the way you want them to be.

Collaboration is what made all the projects in GNU Linux world survive and progress.
None of the existing Operating Systems are meant as a threat to anybody. The reason why there are so many distributions available out there, at different levels of maturity, is not because there is a war among them out there. Are available as a choice.

Subjugation and Charm (for the lack of better word for win over) are totally incompatible.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.