[Unstable Update] March 2024 Edition

If you have Qt5 apps installed, make sure to have the following packages to retain their full integration with the new Qt6 desktop, including theme, cursor, fonts.

kwayland5
plasma5-integration
breeze5
oxygen5

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_6.0_Release_notes#Tars_that_need_Qt5_and_Qt6_build

5 Likes

vlc depends on qt5 and as mentioned in the other thread … you kinda need vlc… so…

Though I did remove all things oxygen (along with some other stuff).

Probably this is the same issue as on the old ksysguard that usually happens on hardware change (especially on AMD). For the old version, the fix was:

Copy the default “SystemLoad2.sgrd” file from /usr/share/ksysguard/ to ~/.local/share/ksysguard/.

The paths may be different now for the new version, so you need to look around.

On the topic of Plasma 6:
One of the cons of updating from unstable is that when I went back to testing, I cannot install anything, because of some broken dependencies (system wants to revert 2 packages back to qt-5, which I decline and thus update fails). It looks like Manjaro transition will take some time, so probably I need to go to unstable, but that comes with some risk.

In overall, I managed the first issues with sddm and the broken configs, so Plasma 6 works well. There are some bugs, but those are small and manageable. Knowing from experience, they will be quickly fixed. It’s even hard to pin-point some bugs, because some things behave a bit weirdly sometimes.

One of the small bugs is about moving launchers on the panel. It doesn’t work correctly, because you have to drag it very, very fast, otherwise some other launcher takes over the drag.
There is also no way of personalizing sounds, as it was before, so there is no startup sound anymore :frowning: .

However, in overall, the transition wasn’t so bad and Plasma 6 is an improvement, although a bit raw on the edges at the moment.

I have a question for you all. If I can’t update or install anything on testing and on unstable there is this llvm update that is also not recommended, what should I do aside waiting?

As always if you want to resync with a ‘lower’ branch (or in any other case you want to allow downgrades) you use pacman -Syuu.

PS.

This seemed to be the case on some previous boot for me, but cannot reproduce now.

Yeah, I’ve reset SDDM setting before applying them again in KDE kcm.

Issue with SDDM no respecting DPI settings might be related to SDDM 0.21 itself: sddm-0.21 HiDPI is not working ¡ Issue #1886 ¡ sddm/sddm ¡ GitHub

Yeah, I know that there is a downgrade option, but it would surely break Plasma 6, so this isn’t a good idea. Usually there are no problems returning to testing, but this time there were too many basic changes.

Is there any manual intervention for this llvm and mesa related packages?

EDIT: It seems it is fixed now. According to this page:
https://archlinux.org/todo/llvm-17/

all rebuilds are complete and in Arch stable, so I should be fine updating it, I hope…

I was able to workaround the issue with the small cursor in SDDM 0.21 under Wayland

I added a file called zz-cursor-settings.conf

[Theme]
CursorSize=60

Size is about the same that you would have to set on Plasma X11 session (even that SDDM itself is running under Wayland, so you don’t want to set it to the same value as in Plasma Wayland session).
Size 60 is proper for 250% scaling on 4K screen

Is extra/plasma5-themes-breath 23.0.0-1 going to be ported to plasma 6?

The theme is missing in settings (but colors, plasma style, icons, splash screen and login screen still shows Breath)

The zsh prompt is broken (looks like a mobile phone like shown by another user above).
Creating a new profile and changing font like suggested above does not work, I can not even change font, I can only change theme in the console settings > font, and something from manjaro seems to take over everything zsh so I can not use other themes either.

Nvm, I am blind. That absolutely fixed the prompt. (Yes, my name is now Bednas, that was not a dyslectic typo at all)

But still.
Will the theme be ported so it can be used globally?

1 Like

I could fix SDDM by removing the Battery and WallpaperFading sections in the config

Open /usr/share/sddm/themes/breath/Main.qml

Remove/Comment the respective sections, log off and sddm is working again.

EDIT: plasma-systemmonitor is working now

I just switched (Longin Screen SDDM) to Breeze, changed my background picture to the one I had on Breath and it looks exactly the same.
I rather wait for an update of the Manjaro theme and use Breeze in the meantime.

1 Like

Icon of the package manager is broken (since Plasma i now using icons from the icon theme and not the plasma style)

This is the icon for “X updates are available”

@Kjplay, what do you mean? What is wrong with the icon? I have the same one and have had it since the beginning.

On plasma 5 it’s a different one, something more similar to this:

This looks like a Discover icon.

As far I know, the icons in the systray depend on the chosen icon theme, at least in Plasma 6. In Plasma 5, some icons were taken from icon theme, some from desktop theme and that was confusing and messy. This was fixed in the latest Plasma as I recall - icons are no longer from various places but from one - icon theme or app.

I’m using Breeze Dark icons and see the same icon as you. It is possible that if you saw a different one before, it was from your desktop theme and now that this is no longer the case, the icon changed to icon theme. Of course, icon themes don’t have all icons, so program specific icons often come from the default ones installed by the app, in this case by Pamac and since the default icon theme is used, the default icon from the app is used as well.

At least that is what I think happens. I may be wrong thou, so if anyone has some insights on that topic, let us know.

The circular icon is probably from the Breath theme, which won’t work at the moment. I had that for update notices for almost 4 years.

I have been test driving Plasma 6 for some time - using a frankenjaro - and had no issues what-so-ever.

To be able to correctly verify the updates to Plasma 6 I had downgraded my systems to a default Manjaro Plasma on unstable branch.

Yesterday I did a test update on my laptop - and my theming went totally bonkers - preparing me mentally to what was coming.

From the previous topics on testing I had already noted my findings so

• I reverted every theme element to default Breeze - just to be sure
  • I created a new user and logged in
  • I executed the sync to Plasma 6 and as expected I got the same issues I had with my laptop
    • primary panel went from a centered panel to fill
    • trying to edit the panel to a custom width and centered would restart kwin
    • I could make it size to content
    • app launcher menu was strangely dimensioned and cluttered
app launcher

What I did

• remove all configuration files related to plasma
  • remove ~/.cache

My laptop with Manjaro is a Plasma build from ground up - it never had the Manjaro Breath theme installed only Breeze.

Further deep diving reveals a lack of Plasma Styles for Breeze theming on my laptop and I have the same issue for my workstation - but with that I have custom Plasma style to apply - which was the single most important action I had to apply.

When you suddenly discover where the problem is - this comes up

The suggestion is to reinstall libplasma and/or oxygen

For me the update went flawless EXCEPT for the missing Breath themes.
I had no problems whatsoever to use Breeze light/dark.

And the SDDM login screens, at least I can not see any difference between before plasma 6 (Breath) and what I have now (Breeze) after changing the background picture.

Only difference I notice is the folders in dolphin and icons are blue instead of Breath green.

Breath is ugly anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It is great you didn’t have any issues.

I don’t think the majority will have either -
I don’t think there was any difference except for the branding.

That depends.
As far as I know, a standard Manjaro installation with KDE uses Manjaro Breath as default.
So every user that has NOT changed from that will have problems/be meat with the hideous SDDM login, unless the theme is ported ofc.

There is no problem with Breeze.