[Unstable Update] June 2024 Edition

omano  ~ $  sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 mesa-nonfree                            9.0 KiB  40.4 KiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------] 100%
 core                                  140.3 KiB   271 KiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------] 100%
 extra                                   8.4 MiB  1337 KiB/s 00:06 [------------------------------------] 100%
 multilib                              145.4 KiB   263 KiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libdisplay-info (0.2.0-1) breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=1-64' required by gamescope

Tried different mirrors, same issue.

Known issue:

1 Like

I see a fix/workaround is on its way :+1:

//EDIT: on a side note, Plasma 6.1 fixed the CPU cores monitoring widget that broke in Plasma 6:

2 Likes

I seem to be hitting this bug here: 488187 – CVE-2024-36041 patches in 6.0.5.1 break shutdown/restart on X11
Can’t turn off or restart the PC from kde on X11. I’ve been using wayland for some time but switched back to X11 after 6.1 update, contrary to the bug report I still get this exact same bug despite being on 6.1. Anyone else experiencing this?

Maybe it is related to my issue on Cinnamon and based on the depreciation of cgroups v1 as per the systemd release notes?
Naively I thought as it did reload the service correctly this time it would just work but “completely red accros the board” again upon reboot, therefore it seems like refusal to start.

Moderator edit: Linked to current version NEWS file

I can boot just fine though, I can’t shut down or reboot the system from kde start menu + this only happens in X11. Here’s one more instance of this exact bug but from fedora: [SOLVED] Unable to shutdown from KDE.
Applications close, the screen goes black with cursor still active. Once again it seems they fixed it with 6.1 somehow.

Systemd 256:
does not care about entries in /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d
Example:

[Journal]
Storage=persistent
SystemMaxUse=86M
SystemMaxFiles=5
RuntimeMaxFiles=12
MaxLevelStore=err

Worked with 255.
Now more than 25 entries, before: 6
(Goal: limit entries stored on disk)
Even SystemMaxUse set to 10M ==> Archived and active journal take up 16M in the file system.

For me, it works. However, I have pretty much 1 setting there:

/etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/00-forwarding.conf
[Journal]
ForwardToConsole=yes
TTYPath=/dev/tty12
1 Like

Please create a new thread if you need help with Systemd. Make sure you read the release notes linked in the first post, there are a lot of changes between 255 & 256.

1 Like

Works, Thank You!
++
SystemMaxFiles=10 works now.

It’s under Window Management → Window Rules in System Settings.
Here’s what I did for mpv, for example, to prevent it from triggering Adaptive Sync:

Printer settings in KDE Plasma 6.1.1 systemsettings was not able to load libpackagekitqt6.so on my system after upgrade to 6.1.1.
Re-installation of packagekit-qt6 solved the issue.

Then again theres no good reason for packagekit.
It should be avoided in general, and also never used for system package management.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#Graphical

@cscs Packagekit came pre-installed with initial installation, I didn’t install it explicitly.
Do you mean I should get rid of it? Your link suggests so.

That’s what i get as dependencies if I would remove it.

sudo pacman -R packagekit packagekit-qt5 packagekit-qt6                                                           1 ✘  5s  
checking dependencies...
:: frameworkintegration optionally requires packagekit-qt6: dependency resolving via AppStream
:: frameworkintegration5 optionally requires packagekit-qt5: dependency resolving via AppStream
:: plasma-desktop optionally requires packagekit-qt6: to install new krunner plugins

Packages (3) packagekit-1.2.8-8  packagekit-qt5-1.1.2-1  packagekit-qt6-1.1.2-1

Total Removed Size:  3.40 MiB

I wouldnt suggest keeping it unless you have some explicit reason.
(and then, depending on the reason…)
It would seem you only have it providing (very) optional dependencies.
I certainly have no packagekit on plasma. And despite the supposed use-case … you can still use the ‘add new’ plasma functions for getting new krunner plugins, widgets, themes, etc.

System snapshots stopped being added to grub entries.
I also get the following errors when updating grub snapshots

mount: /var/lib/os-prober/mount: fsconfig system call failed: No such file or directory.
dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

running dmesg doesn’t give anything useful
maybe the problem is in updating the btrfs-progs package (6.9-1 → 6.9.1-1).

Packagekit is included in KDE ISOs

manjaro-kde-24.0.2-240611-linux69.iso.pkgs
manjaro-kde-24.0.2-minimal-240611-linux69.iso.pkgs

libpackagekit-glib 1.2.8-8
packagekit 1.2.8-8
packagekit-qt6 1.1.1-1

Well perhaps it shouldn’t be given that advice on this forum is always not to use it.

It’s an optional dep for discover and even there it says

$ pacman -Si discover | grep packagekit
                  packagekit-qt6: to manage packages from Arch Linux repositories (not recommended, use at your own risk)

Can anyone tell me why most mirrors in the unstable branch stopped synchronizing ?

They didn’t, the web page is currently broken. If you check with pacman-mirrors, you will see they are synced.

1 Like