[Unstable Update] 2023-10-08 - GNOME 45

I just had amd crash on me while using google earth in firefox.
Kernel 66

I just killed the plasma process. It keep trying to make new over and over, a kill and switch back and forth between tty got me back. plasma seems bugged still though, my “start” menu is bugged so need to reboot but its probably fine.

Nov 02 23:03:09 bednaManjaro kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=626089, emitted seq=626091
Nov 02 23:03:09 bednaManjaro kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process firefox pid 1720 thread firefox:cs0 pid 1724
Nov 02 23:03:10 bednaManjaro kernel: [drm:amdgpu_cs_ioctl [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Failed to initialize parser -125!
Nov 02 23:06:51 bednaManjaro kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 1247 (kwin_x11) total-vm:2216572kB, anon-rss:330596kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:16kB, UID:1000 pgtables:1688kB oom_score_adj:200

When upgrading the package android-udev from 20230614 to 20231030, only the udev-rules file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules breaks some compatibility.

$ journalctl --no-pager -p err -b --output=cat
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:206 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:207 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:517 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:518 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:521 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:157 GOTO="go_adb" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:158 GOTO="go_adbrndis" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:159 GOTO="go_adbmtp" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:160 GOTO="go_adbptp" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:161 GOTO="go_adbmidi" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:162 GOTO="go_adb" has no matching label, ignoring.

Solutions:

• Downgrade back to the previous version of android-udev, if you need to use it.
    or
  • If you don’t need it, just uninstall it and its dependencies, e.g. android-tools etc …

Edit://

The issue is fixed:

1 Like

That package is taken from arch.
Reporting upstream probably would be helpful to get a fix: GitHub - M0Rf30/android-udev-rules: Android udev rules list aimed to be the most comprehensive on the net

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                               145,6 KiB   114 KiB/s 00:01 [#############################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                8,6 MiB   968 KiB/s 00:09 [#############################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                           145,3 KiB   130 KiB/s 00:01 [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kuserfeedback with extra/kuserfeedback5? [Y/n] ^C

yes or no?

Type “y” :wink:

1 Like

Yes, one can type the corresonding letter. However, the capital letter indicates it’s the default response. In this case…

Enter = Y :wink:

2 Likes

The issue is fixed.

3 Likes

In the latest update:

conflicting dependencies:

• jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict
1 Like

@d20diceroller @Lycan

Try reading the thread before posting.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict

JRE is by default included in the JDK (which is the norm followed by major Java vendors), so JRE is only needed for running Java apps, while JDK for Java development.

So remove both jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk then install the one you need depending on your usage.

1 Like

You also need to remove the jre-openjdk-headless package

@Yochanan Sorry for my interruption, but the way unstable posts are named is quite confusing, for example the current one has the title “GNOME 45”, any user who has a problem with a package or a desktop different from GNOME will not enter and read the post.

Wouldn’t it be useful to use the starting date as a title to be more generic and more including.

2 Likes

I did read but I just forgot about this conflict. Sorry.

Yes, remove all related java packages then reinstall jdk-openjdk if you need to develop in Java, or jre-openjdk if you simply need to run Java apps.

Ah, good point. That’s normally the way we do it, I just forgot this time. I’ll edit the title.

However, updates in the unstable branch happen several times a day so the date is mostly meaningless.

If you keep a long post for all unstable updates it will be hard to navigate, so it would better to create new one and close old one after a fixed period of time or after any major update from GNOME, Plasma or XFCE. So that date will be the creation date of the new post accompanied by a description of the major changes.

You are right, it’s actually quite hard to name something that changes numerous times a day.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Maybe create a new one monthly? We normally create a new one if there’s something major or if it’s been awhile.

2 Likes

Actually, posts by month would be a very good idea and easy for users to spot and distinguish.

3 Likes