[Unstable Update] 2023-10-08 - GNOME 45

LINUX66 HERE WE GO! xD

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 multilib is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) linux66-6.6.0-2  linux66-headers-6.6.0-2  linux66-nvidia-545.29.02-1

Total Download Size:   215,24 MiB
Total Installed Size:  306,90 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y

Edit
Nope, didn’t explode, and my nvidia seems fine, booted up cities: skylines 2 and it worked, as well as it does… xD

1 Like

It’s a laptop: Gazelle - System76

2 Likes

6.5.9, and good point, I have not :sweat_smile:

I’ve installed 6.6 as well without any major issues. The only thing that is a bit annoying is, that with 6.6 some of my mouses’ hardware buttons have stopped working :sweat_smile: I don’t know why or how I’ll be able to use them again, but yeah, just a small price to pay for running the mainline kernel (I guess :grin:)

Kernel6.6.0-2

To compensate, Manjaro now detects more sensors on my B550 board

:information_source: Incoming changes in JDK / JRE 21 packages may require manual intervention

2023-11-02 - Frederik Schwan

We are introducing a change in JDK/JRE packages of our distro. This is triggered from the way a JRE is build in modern versions of Java (>9). We are introducing this change in Java 21.

To sum it up instead of having JDK and JRE packages coexist in the same system we will be making them conflict. The JDK variant package includes the runtime environment to execute Java applications so if one needs compilation and runtime of Java they need only the JDK package in the future. If, on the other hand, they need just runtime of Java then JRE (or jre-headless) will work.

This will (potentially) require a manual user action during upgrade:

• If you have both JDK and JRE installed you can manually install the JDK with pacman -Syu jdk-openjdk and this removes the JRE related packages.
  • If you have both JRE and JRE-headless you will need to choose one of them and install it manually since they would conflict each other now.
  • If you only have one of the JDK/JRE/JRE-headless pacman should resolve dependencies normally and no action is needed.

At the moment this is only valid for the upcoming JDK 21 release.

5 Likes

I like that! I have a newer gigabyte and used the same “tricks” as for B550 mentioned in the arch wiki to get lm_sensors to play nice, install aur driver and other things I’m not a huge fan of doing.
Kinda gave up and let my mb handle the fans instead.

But this tells me it’s time to look into it again. :smiley:

I downgraded to 6.5.9 again to see if the problems are caused by 6.6. My buttons work again on 6.5.9, on 6.6 they don’t.

What would be the best place to report this?

I just tried 6.10.60, same frame rate drops occur.

I just had amd crash on me while using google earth in firefox.
Kernel 66

I just killed the plasma process. It keep trying to make new over and over, a kill and switch back and forth between tty got me back. plasma seems bugged still though, my “start” menu is bugged so need to reboot but its probably fine.

Nov 02 23:03:09 bednaManjaro kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=626089, emitted seq=626091
Nov 02 23:03:09 bednaManjaro kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process firefox pid 1720 thread firefox:cs0 pid 1724
Nov 02 23:03:10 bednaManjaro kernel: [drm:amdgpu_cs_ioctl [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Failed to initialize parser -125!
Nov 02 23:06:51 bednaManjaro kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 1247 (kwin_x11) total-vm:2216572kB, anon-rss:330596kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:16kB, UID:1000 pgtables:1688kB oom_score_adj:200

When upgrading the package android-udev from 20230614 to 20231030, only the udev-rules file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules breaks some compatibility.

$ journalctl --no-pager -p err -b --output=cat
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:206 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:207 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:517 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:518 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:521 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:157 GOTO="go_adb" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:158 GOTO="go_adbrndis" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:159 GOTO="go_adbmtp" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:160 GOTO="go_adbptp" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:161 GOTO="go_adbmidi" has no matching label, ignoring.
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:162 GOTO="go_adb" has no matching label, ignoring.

Solutions:

• Downgrade back to the previous version of android-udev, if you need to use it.
    or
  • If you don’t need it, just uninstall it and its dependencies, e.g. android-tools etc …

Edit://

The issue is fixed:

1 Like

That package is taken from arch.
Reporting upstream probably would be helpful to get a fix: GitHub - M0Rf30/android-udev-rules: Android udev rules list aimed to be the most comprehensive on the net

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                               145,6 KiB   114 KiB/s 00:01 [#############################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                8,6 MiB   968 KiB/s 00:09 [#############################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                           145,3 KiB   130 KiB/s 00:01 [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kuserfeedback with extra/kuserfeedback5? [Y/n] ^C

yes or no?

Type “y” :wink:

1 Like

Yes, one can type the corresonding letter. However, the capital letter indicates it’s the default response. In this case…

Enter = Y :wink:

2 Likes

The issue is fixed.

3 Likes

In the latest update:

conflicting dependencies:

• jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict
1 Like

@d20diceroller @Lycan

Try reading the thread before posting.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict

JRE is by default included in the JDK (which is the norm followed by major Java vendors), so JRE is only needed for running Java apps, while JDK for Java development.

So remove both jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk then install the one you need depending on your usage.

1 Like