[Unstable Update] December 2023 Edition

Mesa updates brick it for me. Dual monitors hardware detection error on 6th Gen i5 UHD causes a hang at boot.

Plymouth update yesterday caused problems for me. Sometimes it would boot (but with no logo or dots) and other times it would just show a blank screen with no keyboard response. Changing the kernel made no difference.

Removing Plymouth fixed the problem.

This word doesn’t mean what you think it does. If your computer is bricked, there is no way to fix it. You can downgrade mesa.

2 Likes

Revert to mesa 23.1.9, latest upgrades break GTK4 apps for some intel CPUs.

Do you have the splash kernel parameter and the plymouth mkinitcpio hook set? Have you run sudo update-grub and sudo mkinitcpio -P recently?

Removing Plymouth made Plymouth work? :thinking:

On my laptop the latest update of Plymouth was flawless except for breakage of tpm2-totp-git hook (which adds codes synchronized with e.g. Google Authenticator app on one’s smartphone), but it was a) easily fixable b) not a big and really Manjaro problem since it’s an AUR “package”, I’m just posting it in order to help a random stranger facing the same issue. To fix it, navigate to /usr/lib/initcpio/install and edit {sd-}plymouth-tpm2-totp file(s), there’s a line where you should change
add_binary /usr/lib/plymouth/label.so to
add_binary /usr/lib/plymouth/label-pango.so (or label-freetype.so, however I haven’t tried the 2nd one).
Then regenerate initrd with mkinitcpio -P.
And remember that some future update of this hook will probably discard or modify your changes so keep an eye on install logs / names of packages pulled from repos /AUR.

1 Like

Calm down, preacher :slight_smile:

I am simply raising awareness so it doesn’t reach the stable branch. A soft brick of an installation is when you can’t fix your problem without physical access to the machine. You can power it up, but your server doesn’t start and you can’t reach sddm/login. In the case of remote desktops, that’s pretty much bricked. With a usb drive that you can chroot from, no problem.

I only removed Plymouth as that’s what cscs suggested earlier in the thread to make things work. When I reinstall it again, the problem comes back. Sometimes it will boot fine but mostly it just displays a blank screen. Note I’m booting from EndeavourOS grub, which I’m wondering might be the problem (although it’s been fine before.)

And why do you think he recommended you to remove plymouth? :thinking:
(rhetorical question, no need to answer)

Because he said it’s optional and sometimes causes problems.

My install hangs before getting to the desktop with mesa 1:23.3.2 (downgrading to 1:23.3.1 solves it).

Kernel 6.1.69
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
    driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.10 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: i965
    gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: crocus,swrast
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.5 compat-v: 3.3 vendor: intel mesa v: 23.3.1-arch1.1
    renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1)

It looks like arch still has 1:23.3.2 in their testing branch…

After updates this morning I’m getting Firefox crashes, with both kernel 6.6 and 6.1, I tried wiping cookies and data, but it still crashes. Running XFCE desktop.

   ~  firefox                                                                                                       ✔ 
Gtk-Message: 08:15:37.897: Failed to load module "colorreload-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 08:15:37.897: Failed to load module "window-decorations-gtk-module"
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 2074
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
Exiting due to channel error.
    ~  Gtk-Message: 08:15:54.105: Failed to load module "colorreload-gtk-module"                          11 ✘  17s  
Gtk-Message: 08:15:54.107: Failed to load module "window-decorations-gtk-module"

Update: no Firefox issues with Endeavor OS XFCE or ArcoLinux KDE. So something unique to Manjaro.

Same thing also happens to me on Arch (1:23.3.2-1), it hangs on boot, lightdm fails after Xorg dumps number of exceptions. I see very little chatter about this, not sure where the main bug reporting is (I’m not a gamer and mesa rarely bothers me).

inxi
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia
    v: 545.29.06 arch: Pascal pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 08:00.0
    chip-ID: 10de:1c02 class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.10 compositor: xfwm v: 4.18.0 driver:
    X: loaded: modesetting,nvidia alternate: fbdev,nouveau,nv,vesa gpu: nvidia
    display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x2160 s-size: <missing: xdpyinfo>
  Monitor-1: HDMI-0 size-res: N/A modes: N/A
  Monitor-2: HDMI-1 pos: primary res: 3840x2160 hz: 60 dpi: 61
    size: 1600x900mm (62.99x35.43") diag: 1836mm (72.27") modes: N/A
  Monitor-3: None-1-1 size-res: N/A modes: N/A
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. glxinfo is missing.

Well you’re the third person to report this, so it’s plenty of chatter here :slight_smile:

Manjaro maintainers have nothing to do with Mesa and their devs, so all they can do is pull updated packages in all branches (or at least the stable one).

If you don’t see a word about issues with the arch package, maybe the problem is 1) with the package itself or 2) hasn’t been reported yet - Issues · Mesa / mesa · GitLab

1 Like

mesa updates take time. they are not stable. That is why we still have 23.1.x in other branches. Some reports are intel related.

2 Likes

Well, that’s what’s confusing me, and there is absolutely nothing about this (rather severe) issue on their boards.

Thanks George, I guess I’ll have to file one (test report) myself : ) if no update comes soon.

This is a very good decision. I just updated my parallel Arch install and only got mesa 23.3.2 to be updated and ended in a non-booting system… :scream:

In Arch I then downgraded back to 23.3.1 via TTY and everything is fine again. Good time for another timeshift backup. :sweat_smile:

It has already been reported in Archlinux forum:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=291519

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Updating unstable (KDE version) this week broke Xvnc

Well, this time people on Nvidia and Intel have a hard time to boot X11. Swrast module seems to have issues.

1 Like