[Unstable Update] 2023-05-21 - Repository changes

So after building kernel a couple of times I found the offending patch, which is tpm-disable-rng-for-all-amd-ftpms.patch. This affecting Intel systems too is … interesting.

EDIT: lol instead of building on my weak ultrabook I could just have looked at kernel.org’s mailing list…
[PATCH] tpm: Don't make vendor check required for probe

When using an AMD GPU with multiple monitors and Kernel 6.4.x, I got the repeatable error messages in boot screen and booting up is delayed by more than 1 minute.

amdgpu 0000:0b:00.0: amdgpu: SMU: I'm not done with your previous command: SMN_C2PMSG_66:0x0000000D SMN_C2PMSG_82:0x00000000
amdgpu 0000:0b:00.0: amdgpu: Failed to retrieve enabled ppfeatures!
amdgpu 0000:0b:00.0: amdgpu: SMU: I'm not done with your previous command: SMN_C2PMSG_66:0x0000000D SMN_C2PMSG_82:0x00000000
amdgpu 0000:0b:00.0: amdgpu: Failed to retrieve enabled ppfeatures!

This known issue is caused by lower power consumption or power saving during booting up.

I applied a “revert” amdgpu-patch for Kernel 6.4.11 to fix this issue.

Anyone who uses ansible should be aware

https://archlinux.org/news/ansible-core-2153-1-update-may-require-manual-intervention/

Thank you @philm the patch fixed the issue and TPM-based auto-decryption works again.

When using Kernel 6.5.rc7, I am getting some console font errors, as per sudo journalctl -b | grep vconsole:

systemd-vconsole-setup[267]: setfont: ERROR kdfontop.c:183 put_font_kdfontop: Unable to load such font with such kernel version
systemd-vconsole-setup[263]: /usr/bin/setfont failed with exit status 71.
systemd-vconsole-setup[263]: Setting fonts failed with a "system error", ignoring.
systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Deactivated successfully.
systemd-vconsole-setup[267]: setfont: ERROR kdfontop.c:183 put_font_kdfontop: Unable to load such font with such kernel version
systemd-vconsole-setup[263]: /usr/bin/setfont failed with exit status 71.
systemd-vconsole-setup[263]: Setting fonts failed with a "system error", ignoring.
systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Deactivated successfully.
systemd-vconsole-setup[490]: setfont: ERROR kdfontop.c:183 put_font_kdfontop: Unable to load such font with such kernel version
systemd-vconsole-setup[482]: /usr/bin/setfont failed with exit status 71.
systemd-vconsole-setup[482]: Setting fonts failed with a "system error", ignoring.

Update:

Kernel 6.4.12 and 6.5-rc7 already fixed the issue (AMD GPU hangs at boot when using multiple monitors). No need to apply to this patch manually.

1 Like

I have the same error message.
It is already reported upstream: vconsole: error msgs since 254.0 · Issue #28778 · systemd/systemd · GitHub
And from what I read in the thread, it is not an actual error but a mere debug info falsely understood as an error.

It should be safe to ignore.

Just want to confirm that the same patch works for 6.1, too, and is still necessary for both 6.1.47 and 6.4.12 in order to make Intel tpms work properly.

The Pamac gui reports no package found on the browse tab.

Probably related to the archlinux-appstream-data bug reported in a handful of other threads…

After today’s update of llvm-libs to 16.0.6-1, xserver is killed after login (probably because picom is set to glx as backend).

The offending line in the log complains about missing libLLVM-15.so, and it was fixed by installing llvm15-libs.

When I updated yesterday, the llvm15-libs package was installed as it’s a dependency for other packages.

I did my update using pacman, maybe it was handled differently by pamac (if that’s what you used)?

Users of the mesa-nonfree repo need to watch out for llvm update:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/behind-the-scene-manjaro-community-mesa-nonfree-codecs/135012/20

mesa packages need a rebuild and that repo lags behind.

2 Likes

:information_source: With the filesystem 2023.09.03-1 and bashrc-manjaro 5.1.016-3 updates there may be pacnews for the following files if you have local modifications:

• /etc/shells
  • /etc/bash.bashrc

This would be a good time to test @Ste74’s new manjaro-pacnew-checker program. See Check and manage pacnew files for more info.

4 Likes

Speaking of that update, my /etc/shells.pacnew wants to get rid of zsh and git-shell? :thinking:
Here’s the contents:

# Pathnames of valid login shells.
# See shells(5) for details.

/bin/sh
/bin/bash
/bin/rbash
/usr/bin/sh
/usr/bin/bash
/usr/bin/rbash

Here’s what I have now:

# Pathnames of valid login shells.
# See shells(5) for details.

/bin/sh
/bin/bash
/bin/zsh
/usr/bin/zsh
/usr/bin/git-shell
/bin/rbash
/usr/bin/rbash

Just add new entries to mine, and that’s it?

No, it doesn’t. Those were never in the original file from the filesystem package.

Ayuh. :+1:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Failed to start Splash screen shown during boot

:package: Rebuilds for the r8168 modules are incoming that should fix the issues folks were having.

:information_source: If you already removed r8168 and r8169 is working for you, then there’s nothing to do.

2 Likes

asking the fellows, how did the new update to grub fared. seeing a new grub-update package as well i’m assuming this is there to automate grub bootloader update.

Had a couple updates for grub earlier and have not seen any issues so all seems well.