[Unstable Update] 2022-04-07 - GNOME 42, Mesa 22.0.1, Octopi 0.13.0, KDE-git, Haskell

Those are all Gtk 3 applications.

Unfortunately, it’s a feature, not a bug. You did read my post above, right? :wink:

You need the User Themes extension which is part of the gnome-shell-extensions package. It’s installed by default.

It’s not about Gtk 4 specifically, it’s Libadwaita. It forces the Adwaita theme instead of using the Gtk theme. Notice in Tweaks it’s now labeled as legacy. We’re not the only ones upset that custom theming is not available. We had a team meeting today about GNOME and theming was one of the main topics.

We’ll see what third-party developers come up with between now and when…

In the meantime, one can attempt to set the theme using the GTK_THEME global variable, however it is not supported by anyone and things may not work properly.

2 Likes

obs-studio is broken as well on dark theme (DE: XFCE)

Yet, it was using Matcha-dark-sea for a while although Matcha-sea was selected. At this point, I take any sort of quick win.

The worst thing to ever land on Linux would describe this better.
But yeah, I got it.
Hence…

… I will use this for the time being. I’m very well aware it is already broken and will break even further with time, but it’s still more consistent than adwaita… And it’s a temporary solution until someone brings a workaround to the GTK4 table. Crossing fingers for 3rd party to step up indeed.

export GTK_THEME=Matcha-sea
in /etc/environment did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.

Has anybody else experienced this?
When attempting to change the system volume or network settings and then rather than clicking outside of the popup, just moving the mouse over other tray items, specifically Telegram and Logitech Solaar in my case, those tray items show this blank popup, although Pamac’s update tray item displays correctly and my CPU Power Manager too showing the full expected UI with text and clickable items.

Screenshot from 2022-04-10 09-23-12

I’m guessing that this has something to do with those buggy tray items using custom tray popup menus and the others integrating with Gnome-Shells standards.
Whenever I click on the standardised items and then hover over to the other items, I get the same experience, the non-standard tray items show that empty popup.
Though if I just right click on Telegram or Solaar, they work as expected and show their popup menus (although they don’t follow the system theme, they have custom designs that the developers appear to have implemented which I assume is the reason for them breaking in G42).

gnome42 on screen display doesn’t appear to be inline with the latest design https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/merge_requests/2127 . Instead I see large blocky OSD for volume and screen brightness…

Also some OSD no longer display, like enable/disable touchpad

If you change the shell theme to the default in gnome-tweaks, then you should get the new OSDs.

For me it was fixed at the same time as the screenshot UI, by removing manjaro-gdm-theme

1 Like

I already have default shell theme set and do not have manjaro-gdm-theme installed but still have blocky OSDs. I tested using a new user with all extensions disabled but the results were the same.

@Manjar0-Flow @caribo Looks like a custom theme and/or extension is causing both issues.

Thanks all … :+1:t3: I had extensions turned off and default themes set, but it looks to have been some older GDM tweaks that were causing this issue rather than the settings for the logged in user. resetting GDM settings resolves the issue and beautiful new OSD’s are in use.

still no OSD for enable/disable touchpad though…

I’ve personally removed the Manjaro shell theme and use the stock G42 Shell theme, so I can’t imagine the stock G42 theme is the problem.

As the Tray icons are shown through the ‘Tray Icons: Reloaded’ Gnome extension, that may well be where the problem comes from.

A post was split to a new topic: Can I stay on Gnome 41?

2 posts were split to a new topic: How do I update?

A post was merged into an existing topic: How do I update?

On my laptop the OSD associated with enabling / disabling the touchpad is OK in Wayland session, but does not appear in xorg sessions even although the touchpad is enabled/disabled correctly.

Speaking of Wayland, FYI, I tried force enabling it on the bleeding edge unstable update the other day, but it’s still not quite daily driver ready on my Nvidia GPU:

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2.

Just a quick note for those of you who are curious :slight_smile:

Though the biggest problem is flickering and random jittering, I’d kinda appreciate if all Linux distro’s decided to just default to this even with these bugs but still have the option to switch to x11, just to force Nvidia to get off their butt and deal with their GPU’s problems

after kde-framework (5.93) upgrade, the OSD is no more centered on screen, now displayed on top-left corner. is this expected behavior?

Which one?
There isn’t any change visible for the volume or screen-switching osd on my machines.

used to be all OSD when i noticed it, however it seems it just fixed itself after i tried invoking all OSDs. :man_shrugging:t4:

webdav mounts are broken, redhat bug ID 2066717. Fixed upstream but the patch hasn’t been built in arch yet.