Unable to open a file from my portable drive to a program

Permissions are fully turned up, the file is there. It must be a problem of the application and the file format.

But I don’t use aseprite… so I cannot help here. Send me a test file (upload it somewhere and send the link), then I can test it aswell on discord.

How can I send the file if I can’t embed things here? I mean, could you friend me on Discord so it’ll be easier? Only if you’d like.

Little workaround for links; use code blocks like that:

`https://manjaro.org`

:arrow_down:

https://manjaro.org

Since you are TL0 (Trustlevel) you need to reach TL1 for posting links and pictures.

Won’t work. Do you want to try Discord?

Well for many TL0 users it work. So you did something wrong then.

No, thanks…

Another thing: Try to open it on your home folder and not on the ntfs partition. Maybe that is a problem.

Do you mean I copy the files from my hard drive to the /home folder? I mean, I could do that but that would mean I’d have to replace the original file every single time. And sometimes, files range from Megabytes, to Gigabytes.

It is just a test :smiley: Maybe there is some issue with the ntfs partition. Corrupted files? Anyway… linux is not able to repair ntfs, only windows can do.

My files aren’t corrupted. I literally made a new project file/image to put on my hard drive, and tried opening it in Discord and Aseprite but it won’t do it. I tried opening them on my desktop that has Windows on it, and it works perfectly fine.

So again… does it work when you copy it to the home folder and and open it from there?

Yes. It works as long as it’s not on the portable drive, which is weird. I tried copying the file from the drive to my home, and desktop and anywhere, and opened it, it was fine. I tried copying the file I just copied from my hard drive to my desktop, back to my hard drive and it can’t open.

That is not weird at all… ntfs is not fully compatible with linux and there might be always some problems. If you want to share files between windows and linux then use a network share (samba/nfs) or fat32/exfat. ntfs is not always the best choice.

That’s too technical for me… :sweat_smile:
But with my dual-booted desktop, it has Linux Mint on it, and my hard drive worked flawlessly. I don’t understand this at all.

Me neither… try starting the applications on the terminal and post the output here. Maybe there is a hint.

Applications? Specify, along with a command because the only commands I know are “sudo -i”, and “sudo snap install”.

No… for example gimp:

gimp --help
gimp --verbose

Btw did you install snaps?

Yes I installed snaps.

And

Usage:
  gimp [OPTION…] [FILE|URI...]

GNU Image Manipulation Program

Help Options:
  -h, --help                              Show help options
  --help-all                              Show all help options
  --help-gegl                             Show GEGL Options
  --help-gtk                              Show GTK+ Options

Application Options:
  -v, --version                           Show version information and exit
  --license                               Show license information and exit
  --verbose                               Be more verbose
  -n, --new-instance                      Start a new GIMP instance
  -a, --as-new                            Open images as new
  -i, --no-interface                      Run without a user interface
  -d, --no-data                           Do not load brushes, gradients, patterns, ...
  -f, --no-fonts                          Do not load any fonts
  -s, --no-splash                         Do not show a splash screen
  --no-shm                                Do not use shared memory between GIMP and plug-ins
  --no-cpu-accel                          Do not use special CPU acceleration functions
  --session=<name>                        Use an alternate sessionrc file
  -g, --gimprc=<filename>                 Use an alternate user gimprc file
  --system-gimprc=<filename>              Use an alternate system gimprc file
  -b, --batch=<command>                   Batch command to run (can be used multiple times)
  --batch-interpreter=<proc>              The procedure to process batch commands with
  -c, --console-messages                  Send messages to console instead of using a dialog
  --pdb-compat-mode=<mode>                PDB compatibility mode (off|on|warn)
  --stack-trace-mode=<mode>               Debug in case of a crash (never|query|always)
  --debug-handlers                        Enable non-fatal debugging signal handlers
  --g-fatal-warnings                      Make all warnings fatal
  --dump-gimprc                           Output a gimprc file with default settings
  --show-playground                       Show a preferences page with experimental features
  --display=DISPLAY                       X display to use

Verbose just starts it. It’s normal behavior.

Yeah… it prints all things there… you need to open a file, which cannot be opened. There it is listed in detail what goes wrong.

But it seems that GIMP works just fine with it. I can’t seem to find the executable name for Aseprite as it’s a Steam program, how could I test a file?

I’m so sorry you have to deal with me by the way! I’m very cautious of things I’m doing and I’m not the brightest. :sweat:

Shutdown steam and start steam from the terminal:

steam

While Steam is opening, if it helps, I downloaded both Steam and Discord from Snap, if that helps with any compatibility issue.

Steam has opened.