Unable to connect to wifi

Hi, sorry about the delay, I just got ethernet connection so I’m only able to copy paste these information now.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Iris Xe Graphics (rev 01)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 9a03 (rev 01)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (rev 01)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev 01)
00:07.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #2 (rev 01)
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 01)
00:0d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 NHI #0 (rev 01)
00:0d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 NHI #1 (rev 01)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 20)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Shared SRAM (rev 20)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Management Engine Interface (rev 20)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a0b8 (rev 20)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a0bc (rev 20)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP PCI Express Root Port #8 (rev 20)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP LPC Controller (rev 20)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 20)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP SMBus Controller (rev 20)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP SPI Controller (rev 20)
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (13) I219-V (rev 20)
04:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Toshiba Corporation XG6 NVMe SSD Controller
09:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 2725 (rev 1a)
0a:00.0 SD Host controller: Genesys Logic, Inc GL9750 SD Host Controller (rev 01)

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 5986:2130 Acer, Inc Integrated Camera
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 06cb:00bd Synaptics, Inc. Prometheus MIS Touch Fingerprint Reader
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I am also trying to update my kernel to 5.11 with ethernet, but I keep receiving error messages.

I use 4.19 at the moment, 5.9 (for example) is EOL…it helps to avoid “one of those”…
Let me see what you have sent over :slight_smile:
Edit - I dont really see yher WIFI here, can you list the output of the following command?

ip link show

Info comes from this page
PS : avoid copying and pasting commands. It is completely possible that the markup can hide commands that you’d then execute in your console by pasiting. If you must, copy the command (text) and paste it in a simple text editor to “filter” out the invisible commands…

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp0s31f6: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 38:f3:ab:61:7b:6c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

This is weird…I dont see any WIFI, there…
And this for a laptop.
This command should have shown all the network connectivity, and it should reveal the system names…
I need to delve deeper into the specs of your machine…
Edit - it does not seem to have WIFI as we come to understand it, more WWAN that needs to be configured…

Hi, this is the spec of the system. Does it help? Thanks for looking into this!

Okay,
This should be a snap.
And … If all fails, a USB Dongle may just prove to be the solution.
But, let’s work witrh what we have…
So, having found that your laptop does have WIFI and (more importantly) what to call it, I dug up an article that may help.
Manjaro is the “less aggressive” sister of Arch Linux. However, console work is common amongst the two…
Let me know about your progress.
We’ll get there…Linux is indestructible :wink:
Melissa

1 Like

Is the system fully updated? Do you have the latest Linux Firmware installed? Have you tried a different kernel? Can you post an inxi output here? Is there a physical wifi button on the computer that is preventing wifi access? Are you dual-booting? Give us something to work with.
Please read the following:

1 Like

Hi, I tried to follow the page and installed the firmware. Then I got stuck on finding wireless interface. iw dev does not produce any output… I’m quite stumped

Can you shoot me a screenshot? This I’d like to see. Could be that your interface is brolen, though :thinking: I doubt that…nonetheless, better look into that.
By the way, in case you wonder, none of the laptops I have use the provided WIFI adapter anyway, but then, I only use second hand laptops…
:wink:

Hi, sorry for the late reply… this is the screenshot

I might look into a usb dongle for now, are there anything I need to look out for?

The make, perhaps. I have a TPlink. Basically, plugging it in, should make it show up in the list of USB devices.
From there on, installation should be easy.
Okay, however…on to iw…did you run this as root? Or via sudo?
As “normal” user you dont get output, of course… :wink:
Edit : there is a page on IW that you might like to keep handy :smile_cat:

Unfortunately, sudo iw dev doesn’t return anything as well.
So I tried installing the firmware from en:users:drivers:iwlwifi [Linux Wireless]
for both AX201 and AX210, then rebooted, which didn’t work.
I tried to update the kernel in manjaro settings manager, it reports successfully installed falsely(I
m still stuck with 5.10), then I tried updating the kernel from cmd using mhwd, but got this error:
error: failed retrieving file 'linux512-5.12.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.netcologne.de : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
Is there possibly a disable download timeout for this? I couldn’t find any…

This problem was fixed after updating to kernel 5.12 with mhwd :slight_smile:

Super!
As a side tip: you can select a kernel at boot up, when GRUB comes active, press and hold a shift key, then select “advanced settings” and from that next screen, select the new/required kernel.
Glad it worked…
Thanks for posting the solution too.
Welcome to the club :wink:
Melissa

1 Like

Thank you so much! couldn’t have done this without you ^-^

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue as you.
Could you provide more information on how you updated to kernel 5.12 with mhwd without having internet? I assume there is some package I need to download and place somewhere, in order for me to be able to run sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux512

I used the ethernet

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.