Unable to boot to desktop after latest update

I choose boot device from F11 boot select menu, choose the proper Manjaro drive, enter LUKS password, then “Slot 0 opened” (takes longer than usual) then the pc logo flashes 7 times and stays still.

Did that but not fixed yet. Still same issue. I’m pretty sure /etc/mkinitcpio.conf is unrelated.

I’m downgrading from unstable to testing and see what happens.

I’ve downgraded to testing and now the grub menu appears but doesn’t boot to desktop, still the pc logo issue, will try to downgrade to stable and check again.

Changing from testing to stable does nothing. Says Starting full system upgrade nothing to do.

Any help please?

You need to familiarize yourself more with pacman/pamac.

pacman -Syyuu

did that
sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -Syyuu

no changes from testing to stable. Can you confirm that are the exact same packages?

From unstable to testing no xorg* package got downgraded. So weird.

Finally got it working in testing branch. Just removed tigervnc from ctrl-alt-f2 and now I get to sddm. Clearly there is a bug with tigervnc and Xorg it’s already stated in the logs I provided.

Can somebody install it and test that doesn’t work?

Upgraded from testing to unstable branch and everything went perfect without tigervnc, so 100% it’s the culprit here. Can somebody install it and enable and start it from systemd and check after reboot if has the same issue?

1 Like

This issue does not happen with krfb and krdc.

Issue still happening with unstable and tigervnc-1.12.0-3

1 Like

I have likewise been trying at this for a day or so ever since i last updated, even attempting to install an aur patch:
packages/xorg-server-bug865
I now know its tigervnc after reading this and not the bug that patch fixes
tried downgrading both tigervnc and xorg-server independently and at the same time
no luck yet

1 Like

and after further reading i realized tigervnc was not required (i was under the impression that it was)
so just as Tribble said, removing it seems to do the job!

@tyty so this is definitely an Xorg and not tigernvc bug?

Still not fixed after latest unstable updates.

This is a bug within Manjaro. With Endeavour OS works fine.

Manjaro uses an overlay package for xorg-server with some patches, @Yochanan is the last packager.
Do you see the same problem when using Arch’s xorg-server and xorg-server-common package?

TigerVNC makes Xorg crash in Manjaro but not Arch. Please fix bug.

TigerVNC developer has acknowledged the issue is on your side and nobody help in first thread.

https://github.com/TigerVNC/tigervnc/issues/1549

So they conclude that Manjaro needs to rebuild tigervnc.

I didn’t know xorg was packaged by Manjaro - learned somthing new today.

I use tigervnc in several Manjaro instances I have never seen the issue you describe.

Are you sure you have configured tigervnc correct?

Although I am thinking it is not that hard to configure

So what are your usecase and how have you configured the service?

My preferred method to using SSH portwarding - so the login is not handled by the login manager but SSH - which IMO gives the best result as you don’t have to fiddle with the :0 display, no need to run as root but run as user and you get easy access e.g. using ssh keyfiles.

Well… did you try building it yourself?

1 Like

I’m not sure if miss-configuring tigervnc incorrectly makes xorg crash…

Now that I thnk of it - I am not sure tigervnc is that picky when it comes to xorg-server.

In fact I run tigervnc on a macbook m1 (arm architecture) - so while I will not reject the upstream conclusion - I am fairly certain it is local to your system.

I know for a fact that tigervnc works on Manjaro using vnc over ssh - you are making a statement, without any documentation of usecase, setup or configurations.

So please post your vnc related configurations - let’s see what can be deducted.

Neither am I - perhaps it is not tigervnc but your graphics configuration.

I took a look at the topic you refer to is an encrypted installation and from a quick glance it has nothing to do with tigervnc but is has a lot to with your gpu driver and faffing around with that as you mention in comment #23.

In fact the first mention of tigervnc is comment #66.

So when I think you are having a configuration issue I may be more right you’d like to admit. The whole tigervnc blaming thing is merely a symptom of other issues you need to address first.

1 Like