Unable to boot into Manjaro or reinstall Grub after UEFI update in dual-boot setup with Windows

I dual-boot Windows and Manjaro.

After a recent manual BIOS update (done through Windows), my Manjaro installation is no longer bootable. I have since tried to reinstall GRUB but haven’t been succesful.

Here is some additional info:

About my laptop:

1. Partitions:
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 476.94 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
Disk model: KXG50ZNV512G TOSHIBA                     
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: E8AA329E-516F-4163-B107-AE5876D99C8B

Device             Start        End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1      2048     206847    204800   100M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2    206848     239615     32768    16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/nvme0n1p3    239616  243603455 243363840   116G Microsoft basic data
/dev/nvme0n1p4 998117376 1000214527   2097152     1G Windows recovery environment
/dev/nvme0n1p5 243603456  346003455 102400000  48.8G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p6 346003456  981733375 635729920 303.1G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p7 981733376  998117375  16384000   7.8G Linux filesystem 

For explaination,
/dev/nvme0n1p1 is the boot/efi parition
/dev/nvme0n1p5 is where I have my non-accesible Manjaro installation
/dev/nvme0n1p6 is what I use to mount /home. In the reinstallation scenario, I would not want this formatted.
/dev/nvme0n1p7 is used for swap.

1. Model/make: Huawei Matebook X Pro
  2. This dual-boot setup has worked great for 3+ years.
  3. The windows installation is GPT/EFI
  4. Windows boots fine
  5. Secureboot and fastboot are disabled

Things I’ve tried:

1. Restore Grub Bootloader
    Tried all steps here: Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader from Manjaro Documentation
    I used a manjaro live USB to try out the following
[manjaro-gnome manjaro]# mount /dev/nvme0n1p5 /mnt
[manjaro-gnome manjaro]# mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi
[manjaro-gnome manjaro]# manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
[root@manjaro-gnome /]# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: unknown filesystem.
  1. Tried reinstalling Manjaro with manual partioning
    I tried the following “Manual” partition setup.
    I use /dev/nvme0n1p5 as / mount point
    /dev/nvme0n1p1 as /boot/efi mount point
    /dev/nvme0n1p6 as /home mount point

I get this error:

Bootloader installation error

The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --force

returned error code 

I started the installer from CLI to see logs, and here is what I see

[manjaro-gnome manjaro]# calamares
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
chcon: failed to get security context of '/': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/boot/efi': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/dev': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/home': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/proc': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/run': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/run/udev': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/sys': Operation not supported
chcon: failed to get security context of '/sys/firmware/efi/efivars': Operation not supported
08:23:44 [1]: void Calamares::ViewManager::onInstallationFailed(const QString&, const QString&)
    ERROR: Installation failed: "Bootloader installation error"  

What I’m seeking help with:
My first preference would be to simply restore my existing Manjaro partition, but I am not able to do so. Any guidance on that or a reinstall where I can preserve my /home drive (/dev/nvme0n1p6) would be great as well.

Thanks

have you checked

• sudo efibootmgr -v
  • sudo efivars -l

recheck all options on

• secureboot / fast boot / disks on AHCI , no CSM

I couldn’t find efivars

which: no efivars in (/home/manjaro/.local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)

output from efibootmgr:

[manjaro-gnome manjaro]# efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0004
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 2001,0000,0003,0001,0002,2002,2003
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)RC
Boot0001* ubuntu	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)RC
Boot0002* Fedora	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\fedora\shim.efi)RC
Boot0003* Windows Boot Manager	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}....................
Boot0004* EFI USB Device (SanDisk Cruzer Glide)	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x5d5a40,0x2000)RC
Boot2001* EFI USB Device	RC
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM	RC
Boot2003* EFI Network	RC

recheck all options on

I did, my BIOS only exposes secureboot which is disabled. I made sure fast boot is disabled in Windows.

I don’t see options for AHCI or CSM.

Let me quickly explain the output to efibootmgr.

I have had Fedora and Ubuntu installed on this machine at various points in the past. Those installations are no longer on the system though their boot entries were not overwritten. I can access Grub when I click on fedora, but not sure if that’s booting from the EFI partition or somewhere else.

Hi @abhat060
Here is a trick that is maybe not preferred … but super easy.

OK so if grub is no longer loading we can probably fix this right from in windoze …

• Run CMD as Administrator
  • bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi
  • Reboot

(of course note there is some possibility of it being a different path … but unless you did that on purpose the above should be the correct location and syntax)

Thanks @cscs, I gave that a shot, but no luck :frowning:

Sorry then.
These will undo that set and optionally set the winbootmngr again:

bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

Thank you, but it actually didn’t change anything.

One thing I noticed by booting into Manjaro live env is that the actual path is
\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi
the only difference being the capital ‘M’. I retried with that but still no luck/change.

Any other ideas?

Not sure this is relevant but your efibootmgr -v shows a lot of entries while your efi partition is with 100MB quite small, maybe do a clean out.
Also, always use the latest manjaro iso to boot.

The following thread has a further tips on a similar issue: GRUB INSTALL ERROR: Unknown filesystem - #63 by winnie

Thanks for the link, yes I tried following that thread, looks like the OP had to do a reinstall.

Re: 100MB, I have variously seen suggestions that the efi partition should be 300MB or 512MB. In fact the manjaro installer also calls it out, but it did not a few years ago when I did my original installation.

In front the 100MB partition currently sits Windows. One option is to move Windows forward by a few 100megs and then shrink its partition, but that sounds like a good way of killing Windows. I’ve had plent of bad experiences with attempting to move or even defrag Win, so not leaning in that direction.

No, I didn’t mean resizing it, just delete obsolete entries:
sudo efibootmgr -b <obsolete-entry> -B

Since this was caused by an update, what kernel are you on? Maybe show us an inxi -Fz

here is my take on this;

• boot into manjaro-live.
  • go into your existing manjaro partition.
  • get partiton details “lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME”
  • make sure that /etc/fstab refers to correct UUIDs for EFI and system and other partitons now
  • ONLY AFTER use “manjaro-chroot -a” (i frankly see no reason why ppl mount invidual partiton anymore)
  • choose the appropriates systems in chroot prompt is you get one
  • remove unnecessary bootloaders with " sudo efibootmgr -b {bl-index} -B"
  • then use “grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck --no-rs-codes --verbose” (bootloader-id is the exact directory the boolader will be created in the EFI partition)
  • check if the boot loader has enlisted with “efibootmgr -v”
  • if so “sudo update-grub”
  • “sudo efivars -l” might not work unless you logout and chroot in again

notes:

• alternatively to “grub-install”, if it doesnt work, you may use (where --disk is the disk and --part partition number of EFI partiton);
    efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/nvme0n1p --part 1 --loader “\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi” --label “manjaro” --verbose

• 100MB is plenty enough for Windows + 1 linux distro-bootloader

• stick to efibootmgr for bootloader manipulation

Hmm, so I can execute on efibootmgr -b -B, but does that have any benefit at this moment in time other than just giving me a cleaner menu?

@koshikas I followed your steps (with the exception of removing old boot entries), and this is what I get after grub-install

[root@manjaro-gnome /]# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck --no-rs-codes --verbose
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: info: cannot open `/boot/grub/device.map': No such file or directory.
grub-install: info: /dev/nvme0n1p1 is not present.
grub-install: info: Looking for /dev/nvme0n1p1.
grub-install: info: /dev/nvme0n1 is a parent of /dev/nvme0n1p1.
grub-install: info: /dev/nvme0n1p1 starts from 2048.
grub-install: info: opening the device hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: drive = 0.
grub-install: info: the size of hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1 is 1000215216.
grub-install: info: Scanning for DISKFILTER devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for mdraid1x devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for mdraid09_be devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for mdraid09 devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for dmraid_nv devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for ldm devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: scanning hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1 for LDM.
grub-install: info: no LDM signature found.
grub-install: info: Scanning for lvm devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: no LVM signature found.
grub-install: info: Scanning for DISKFILTER devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for mdraid1x devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for mdraid09_be devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for mdraid09 devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Scanning for dmraid_nv devices on disk hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1.
grub-install: info: Partition 0 starts from 2048.
grub-install: info: /dev/nvme0n1p1 is present.
grub-install: info: /dev/nvme0n1p1 is present.
grub-install: error: unknown filesystem.

I executed on this command as well

efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/nvme0n1p --part 1 --loader “\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi” --label “manjaro” --verbose
After this I see manjaro from efibootmgr -v
Boot0005* manjaro HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi)

This now lands me in a grub rescue console now. I can still boot into Windows by manipulating the boot order from the BIOS, but not sure if this is a step in the right direction.

Any further thoughts?

Thank you for all the help everyone!

Something really interesting just happened.

I did execute a bunch of

efibootmgr -b 0002 -B
commands, and each time I did, that entry was removed. At the end of it, when I ran efibootmgr -v, that entry would be gone.

Then I reboot my system without the live USB and went into Windows. I came back to the live USB after a reboot, entered chroot, and again typed in efibootmgr -v. Two of the entries that were previously deleted are back, but what was previously Boot0003 is now gone.

[root@manjaro-gnome /]# efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0003
BootOrder: 2001,0000,0001,0002,2002,2003
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)RC
Boot0001* ubuntu	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)RC
Boot0002* Fedora	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\fedora\shim.efi)RC
Boot0003* EFI USB Device (SanDisk Cruzer Glide)	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x5d5a40,0x2000)RC
Boot2003* EFI Network	RC

Why would Boot0001 and Boot0002 come back after a reboot?

did you run “update-grub” after (that is after “efibootmgr --create…” command"), which restores grub entries. windows grub entry could be manually put or you can go the lazy way by enabling os-prober.

happens, there are different EFI systems from different vendors. though on a different EFI camp, this has happenned to me before as well.

you can manualy check which bootloaders are installed when you chroot (assuming your fstab entries/UUIDs are correct). assuming the EFI partion is mounted on “/boot/efi” the list would be “ls -l /boot/efi/EFI” (note: this for listing only, do not manipulate in any way)

I re ran efibootmgr --create and then an update-grub. Here is the output

[root@manjaro-gnome /]# efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/nvme0n1p1 --part 1 --loader "\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi" --label "manjaro" --verbose
BootCurrent: 0003
BootOrder: 0004,2001,0000,0001,0002,2002,2003
Boot0003* EFI USB Device (SanDisk Cruzer Glide)	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x5d5a40,0x2000)RC
Boot2003* EFI Network	RC
Boot0004* manjaro	HD(1,GPT,187cd5f4-1d56-4e19-bb9f-63b345ddf421,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi)

The last entry is newly added.

Then this was the output of update-grub

[root@manjaro-gnome /]# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
done

It doesn’t seem to make a difference

For what it’s worth, in manjaro-chroot, /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro* does not exist after update-grub, not sure if that’s a problem.

should be listed as “/boot/efi/EFI/manjaro” since you created the label “manjaro”.

run previous grub-install comand as well
ignore “grub-probe: error”, it’s because of the chroot environment. just reboot normally to see if it works

Okay, so here’s what I did now:

1. Got into Manjaro live env
  2. In terminal, went into su
  3. ran manjaro-chroot -a
  4. did cat \etc\fstab and ensured that UUIDs were what I wanted when compared to output of parted -l
  5. ran grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck --no-rs-codes --verbose
  6. Step 5 gave me the same error so I ensured that no manjaro was not present in efibootmgr -v
  7. Ran efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/nvme0n1p --part 1 --loader “\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi” --label “manjaro” --verbose
  8. Ran update-grub
  9. Ensured that manjaro was present in efibootmgr -v
  10. Rebooted

No luck. I am being dropped into Grub rescue again.

oops wrong device, should be;

/dev/nvme0n1

efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/nvme0n1 --part 1 --loader “\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi” --label “manjaro” --verbose

sudo grub-mkdevicemap
sudo update-grub