Ugly login screen after recent update

After recent update I started seeing very ugly login screen on my laptop where I can’t even see what I am putting in as password. But after I put in password, it goes further fine. I currently use Thinkpad X1 Cabon with Intel® Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz processor. Could it be some problem with drivers? Currently have latest updated packages as often run pacman -Syu

Try opening your menu and typing ‘login’ to see what comes up…

Also, as a test, create a ‘test’ user and see how that logs in, if that’s much different/better then consider looking in your .config to see what’s bad.

Here is a bit more details cause my original post might not be very clear. Basically when I originally see login screen here is what I see: https://imgur.com/CKWwfUq
After this I can still type password (even though I can’t recognize what’s happening on screen) and then the only way for me to get screen back to normal would be to try to open display settings and change resolution. I can barely recognize what’s happening on the screen, but can still do this. After this it starts working as expected. Changing it to original resolution works fine. It even works after restart. Where it gets back into this state is if I connect external monitor over hdmi and restart it. It wasn’t happening before and started happening about a month ago (my guess)

I am having the exact same issue, but mine does not go away after I login.

I “fix” it by opening display and changing the resolution manually, and it fixes itself.

This happened on fresh installs of Manjaro XFCE

I am on a Dell Precision 5510 with a Quadro M1000M and Intel 530

Of other note, I selected to login automatically when I installed, but I am still receiving a login prompt

Yup even my login screen changed to some nonsense and it is no longer logging in

I use white sur login screen

It seems to be some kind of race conditon. For me it’s not deterministic and happens only for some boots. Changing the resolution after logging in fixes the issue. I have this problem only on Intel HD 620 laptop, I didn’t have this problem with Nvidia graphics on my PC.

Hello!

I’ve encountered the same issue. I must say that it took couple of days to solve it, but I’ve found the solution:

1st of all, you need to edit the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add the “i915” argument to MODULE section, so it looks like that:

`MODULES=(i915)`

Then you need to run as root

`mkinitcpio -P`

Then of course reboot, and in my case the problem was solved.

The solution I’ve found thanks to arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting#Early_KMS_start

Hope I’ve helped!