Trying to make Manjaro more stable and user friendly

As a garden-variety user, my primary concern is to keep Manjaro fast on old or low-powered machines. As a disabled user, I would like to retain control of how much mousing or keyboarding is required. Those are how I define user-friendly, and “Sway, my way” works for me.

I have no big problem with stability now, although the whole alsa->pulseaudio->pipewire transition has been tricky, and best left to the install media themselves, in my experience. I just reinstall afresh if something has issues I can’t figure out, and keep my /home backed up elsewhere.

Thanks, Manjaro team, for making Manjaro a pleasant experience.

R

5 Likes

An excellent policy, IMHO.

And the only way they can become less is by facing them and by facing them you get less and less of those kinds of problems, right?

2 Likes

I could be wrong but why would Steam then point there users towards Manjaro to get use to Arch if they planned on not using a rolling release.

1 Like

Steam deck is going to be arch based but I would be very surprised if it was a complete rolling release like arch. Steam are going to want it to be as stable as possible so will probably implement flatpaks where ever possible on arch. Steam definitely won’t point anyone towards manjaro but that doesn’t stop the team giving steam deck users an alternative.

I could of course be completely wrong on everything but steam deck will be arch based

1 Like

It’d be interesting to have an edition of Manjaro with immutable RootFS and Flatpaks or AppImages or whatever is worth – but each in strict containment – for those who want a more resilient OS. I am dead curious to see how Steam is going to do exactly that. The immutable RootFS makes more sense there on steam deck than on a regular desktop, but I can see a user case for people coming from windows and still uncertain about breaking anything and having to reinstall everything.

2 Likes

Steam has been pointing people at Manjaro. Pretty sure it’s actually posted here on the forums.

3 Likes

I think they recommended to use Manjaro for an easy to do SDK for the Steamdeck because they can’t ship anything in time for everyone.

//EDIT: Development Without a Dev-Kit - YouTube

4 Likes

If we would still have the option of downloading the minimal iso that would be great.

3 Likes

Mirdarthos,

I didn’t mean to weigh in on an architecture debate, because that’s beyond my expertise.

It’s just that I’m old enough to remember when OO came in and made things easier for developers but slower for users on marginal machines. Then Java and other interpreters came in and made cross-platform programming easier, but even sloooooooowwwweeeeerrr for users. I would just like to preserve Manjaro’s fast performance with minimal resources, and its configurability. These should figure in any re-architecture discussion, in my humble user’s opinion.

Thanks,

R

4 Likes

As an additional version and if the MJ team can handle it together with ARM, I guess… whatever…

But:

https://ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future

and

https://www.flatkill.org/

If it evolves to mandatory, I’m out. Thank god GNU/Linux isn’t short of offerings.

8 Likes

I really think SNAPs should be avoided at any cost. They have not been working well. Look how lousy the new Firefox one is, and Mozilla even helped with that one! :grimacing:

6 Likes

Again one of those topics thrown into the fire - and the OP never bothers to respond - but can sit back and laugh while watching the thread degrade into emotional outbursts.

10 Likes

Linus also comes from a unique place as a hardcore windows power user. Most of his issues came because he tried to treat Linux like Windows. If he had approached things and assumed he was a noob, he would have been a lot better off. I made the switch from Windows in March, and the only shared issue we had was not being able to open a folder as root in Dolphin.

6 Likes

I made the post to make a suggestion. And I explained everything that I could possibly explain from my idea. But apparently some people haven’t learned basic interpretation and they think my idea is to totally block traditional packages from being installed from the GUI so… Yeah, I won’t bother to respond most comments here.

2 Likes

Honestly I haven’t used snaps in a year and a half. I’ve tested only one recently, which was Chromium. I definitely don’t doubt you (and I’ve seen issues with Firefox startup time). But maybe the GUI could have a display preference like “Flatpaks > Traditional Packages > Snaps”

congrats on your switch, if you really know the difference between root privileges in linux and administrator privileges in windows, you’ll be glad the way it is now. chances of you messing up linux is far easier than it is in windows armed with root privileges. jump to terminal there is nothing root privileges cant do in linux in a “bad way”.

anyway my sentiments are from him supposedly being a “90s tech kid” which he frequently boasts. as being of the same age he(and I) grew up with what was pure junk that MS called windows(it had its place alright, the fact that it made computers more accessible to global reach is no joke be it marketing or otherwise) i’ m not sure whether you can call anyone a windows “power user”, like there are many linux counterparts. (i only transited to linux mid 2000s) he should know better

even if you can, all i’m saying, in both windows/macosx all you can do is handle situations that developer team deems handle-able, as soon as it goes south its all rollback. just because linux doesnt have means of spoiling people with UIs to handle countless bazillion things that can go wrong in system that does everything, it does not mean it is subpar. and everyone’s falling for it.

1 Like

Offense non taken. I like the rolling release model mainly because I prefer not having the need of doing major upgrades. And I believe most desktop users prefer that. Also I didn’t choose Manjaro only for the rolling release approach. I like how Pamac/Pacman handle packages, I like it better than Apt and Dnf. And I could do a minimal Manjaro installation as I would on Arch, but receiving updates less often. And I’d recommend newcomers for the ease of getting software and for being lightweight.

But yes, AppImages are also a great option and it would be awesome if Pamac could handle them too! I haven’t used them yet and I don’t know what kind of difficulties one could face while trying to, but it would probably be nice!

I just did a freash install of Manjaro KDE using the latest release candidate and I chose this time not to use any Snaps. I only had 3 or 4 to begin with so no big deal. Got tired of the fonts for certain Snaps being unreadable garbage while their Flatpak, Appimage, or straight up installed or built counterparts fonts had no issue.

Things like wrong package added to conflict category/section are actually happen in pacman/pamac. If package maintainer make mistake, package manager doesn’t help you, because it’s doing what was added to instruction.

If you never encounter this on stable branch, you’ve being lucky or someone on testing or unstable caught it earlier. I think it will be fair if I say that, and it’s required to mention, Manjaro is stable because people on testing and unstable branch doing great job.

What happened to Linus, only made this bug “famous”. The bug was so obvious that it would be fixed sooner or later, if it wasn’t already fixed when video had premier. Now every improvement in software will be credit to Linus because he made his challenge video series, no matter work starts much earlier.

It’s one more layer to learn. If someone already learned what is “distribution” and why they are so many, then how to install software on linux, and you want to add one more topic on top, like everything else wasn’t confusing enough?

If they are prioritized, means that they are default. So what is the rest of that stuff in Pamac? Why there are three types of packages? Why they exist if default ones are “the working ones”. Both are working, so why one is slower than another? Why one respect theming and another not. So on, and so on.

For me, containers should be alternatives and even disabled by default.

Most of the issues are related to drivers, desktop environment and updates.

I think it will be a good idea to check out how Elementary OS users are doing. If I’m not wrong, debian/ubuntu repo is blocked in theirs app store, and you can only enable flatpaks. If they only use Elementary apps and flatpaks, good, that means the experiment is successful. But if they’re still installing software through synaptic, that means all these simplifications doesn’t have much sense.

I think in all this chaos, learning how to maintain a system is the best way. You can refuse to learn, and add more layers of simplification on top, but it’s only swapping issues from one to another.

3 Likes

If it just installs and the system doesn’t have to build it it’s a container. I’m sure it wasn’t your intent but that makes it sound like everything should be built then installed. I have software that because I can’t get it any other way is built and then installed, but if I can install something without it having to be built first that is what I’m going to do. I for one am not going to spend hours waiting for a browser to build and install when I can install that same browser in a few minutes.