Trying to make Manjaro more stable and user friendly

Maybe I should write “Flatpak and Snaps” instead of “containers” if it’s misleading, but I thought it will be obvious from the context. However, I understand your point and yeah, I didn’t mean that everything should be built and installed.

You mean like the packages from Manjaro repositories?

That’s the Manjaro repositories you describe here.

6 Likes

Yes like the packages from the Manjaro repositories but also I’m describing Flatpaks, Snaps, Appimages, etc…

I really don’t get it. Please double check your decision. Maybe there is a reason why Manjaro is this famous at the moment and got attention from Linus TechTipps. Maybe there is no need to change something. Take a look how many downvotes this Topic has.

Who said this new user’s won’t come to Manjaro? With the release from Steamdeck they will come to Manjaro or SteamOS anyways.

I’m using Windows since the early 90th and i make a switch (14 month ago) to my first Linux (besides 1month Linux Caldera in 1995) and it was Manjaro and i can tell there is everything fine with Manjaro related to user friendly and the stability. There is a reason why i stay loyal till today to Manjaro and hope i will never have to change this Distribution because i think its good as it is.

My biggest flaws in the first few month was to save/reload settings in Alsamixer and to manually mount my partitions in etc/fstab. Beside this i still miss a feature today to lock my fps in some games or to control my GPU Fan Curve.

Manjaro has it Roots and his Soul. Don’t change to much and verify its a improvement and not a trade off.

9 Likes

Manjaro Official repositories works just like other Distro’s repositories do. The Packages are already Compiled and Built.

I see no reason why SNAP exist in the first place. A Solution searching for a Problem…

even mint doesn’t support snaps. there is just no reason for manjaro to bother about that too.

5 Likes

Install strangle-git from the AUR and you can launch your game by limiting the max framerate easily like that strangle 60 %command% for a Steam game (in its properties → launch options).

On topic yeah I also don’t see how making SNAPS or Flatpaks main source of installation would be an improvement, it only bring issues you don’t have with packages (like all the themes/icons issues for example, the disk space also can go high with these installation methods, there are issues with old unpatched libraries, things like that), it makes more ways of managing applications, more things to learn. The positive side is difficult to tell, maybe a few applications are properly sandboxed, and the system perfectly protected from them? maybe some old programs requiring old libraries not shipped with Manjaro could work, yeah possibly, but obviously to me his is not an improvement for Manjaro, at all.

As already said above, to me SNAPS and Flatpaks should not even be enabled in Pamac by default, this brings confusion to users (three time the same program to install from different sources!!! four or more when AUR search/autocompletion would be remerged in Pamac? not very user friendly, especially for noobs), it makes troubleshooting difficult if user doesn’t even know these concepts and never say he’s using the Flatpak version of program X or Y, things like that only adds up to the negative…

6 Likes

I don’t know why you’re replying to me since I clearly stated that I dropped the few snaps that I had, which was like 3. I don’t even have snap support enabled. As for the Manjaro repositories they are great for most things, but still plenty not in there, which with as much as is out there would be surprising if any repository had everything. Manjaro for my needs and wants does a great job and over all I’m very happy.

Most of those are not up to date, disproved or were wrong from the get go. Ok, there are some minors in there too.

What your describing is an UI issue in pamac. I think gnome software handles that fine for e.g.

No, I Don´t like the idea, I hate it. I think switching to a flatpak - centric distro model would be the only reason I can imagine that would put me in the position to say goodbye to Manjaro after many many years of using and loving it.

1 Like

Still about making life undemanding for users coming from Windows, I suggest we made it easier for them to deal with the installation of Windows mainstream browsers only available in aur like Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. I mean, without them having to deal with aur, which is unsupported as such.

For that I believe it could be arranged a repo named “universe”, similarly to what Artix Linux does, for packages that are not exactly better placed anywhere else.

1 Like

Instead of letting everyone risk bricking their system when installing from AUR without inspeacting PKGBUILD .I think some verification by users to AUR packages would be awesome so instead of looking PKGBUILD of every single package we can look only when the package wasn’t verified by enough users

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

AUR have vote system, the score is fetched by Pamac and displayed in Details tab. Every useful information which helps with decision is displayed in the tab.

1 Like

There is already an operating system that does exactly that. It’s made by a company called Microsoft, and I think it’s called Wintendo, or something like that.

It’s not open-source, though. And it also doesn’t have anything to do with UNIX. But I hear it’s a great platform for running Microsoft applications, including Microsoft browsers.

:roll_eyes:

I would propose that we start a counter-thread somewhere, “How to make newbies with a Windows addiction more GNU/Linux-friendly?”, because the title of this thread here is flamebait.

6 Likes

Kudos for the wintendo! I am going to use that term of endearment. :wink:

Jokes apart, this thread, as much flame bait as it may sound, isn’t without merits, @Aragorn.

GNU/Linux isn’t user-unfriendly. It’s just peculiar about who its friends are. :grinning:

2 Likes

i have just one question - in a quest to make manjaro more stable it holds updates for 2 weeks or so. that’s okay but if manjaro people on unstable branch discover a bug with a program say optimus-manager, what are they actually doing or even doing anything at all

If the problem cannot be easily remedied, then the update is held back longer until it can be.

3 Likes

People are afraid of things they don’t understand. After using Fedora Silverblue for 2 weeks. I can certainly say Valve made the right decision to go for an immutable system.

I would suggest Manjaro to create separate flatpak based immutable noob edition distro rather than messing with regular Gnome, plasma editions. So, that it can serve all users.

2 Likes

I imagine it will be very similar to Manjaro – Arch based, but not exactly “rolling release”, but with cyclic updates provided by Steam team. How often the cycles will be is anyones guess. 12-24 times a year being similar to Manjaro or 1-2 times a year, essentially becoming Ubuntu like (maybe with more frequent security and steam own updates)?

3 Likes