Tried to install drivers for rtl8821ce network card

So I recently reinstalled manjaro and while I previously found a forum post with a fix that worked for me I forgot to bookmark the post so I had to find another post about my problems with this card for reference (The post in question is located on the archived forum and its name is “my wifi adapter didn’t work rtl8821ce” on newbies corner)
Here are my logs for my activity on the terminal:

(log for initial attempt at installing drivers)

pamac build rtl8821ce-dkms-git
Preparing...
Cloning rtl8821ce-dkms-git build files...
Checking rtl8821ce-dkms-git dependencies...
Warning: downgrading package rtl8821ce-dkms-git (1.0.5.r128.gf93db73-1 => 1.0.5.r36.gca4abd8-1)
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To build (1):
  rtl8821ce-dkms-git  1.0.5.r36.gca4abd8-1  (1.0.5.r128.gf93db73-1)  AUR

Edit build files : [e] 
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N] y

Building rtl8821ce-dkms-git...
==> Making package: rtl8821ce-dkms-git 1.0.5.r128.gf93db73-1 (Wed 25 Aug 2021 11:47:48 PM CDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Updating rtl8821ce git repo...
Fetching origin
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    rtl8821ce ... Skipped
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of rtl8821ce git repo...
Cloning into 'rtl8821ce'...
done.
==> Starting pkgver()...
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
==> Tidying install...
  -> Removing libtool files...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing static library files...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
==> Checking for packaging issues...
==> Creating package "rtl8821ce-dkms-git"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: rtl8821ce-dkms-git 1.0.5.r128.gf93db73-1 (Wed 25 Aug 2021 11:47:59 PM CDT)
==> Cleaning up...

Checking keyring...                                                        [1/1]
Checking integrity...                                                      [1/1]
Loading packages files...                                                  [1/1]
Checking file conflicts...                                                 [1/1]
Checking available disk space...                                           [1/1]
Running pre-transaction hooks...
Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...                              [1/2]
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
Remove upgraded DKMS modules                                               [2/2]
==> Unable to remove module rtl8821ce/1.0.5.r128.gf93db73 for kernel 5.13.11-1-MANJARO: Not found in dkms status output.
Reinstalling rtl8821ce-dkms-git (1.0.5.r128.gf93db73-1)...                 [1/1]
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...                                             [1/2]
Install DKMS modules                                                       [2/2]
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m rtl8821ce -v 1.0.5.r128.gf93db73 -k 5.13.11-1-MANJARO
^C
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.13.11-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821ce/1.0.5.r128.gf93db73/build/make.log for more information.
==> Warning, `dkms install --no-depmod -m rtl8821ce -v 1.0.5.r128.gf93db73 -k 5.13.11-1-MANJARO' returned 10
==> depmod 5.13.11-1-MANJARO
Transaction successfully finished.
**logs for follow up terminal usage**:
 sudo dkms install --no-depmod -m rtl8821ce -v 1.0.5.r128.gf93db73 -k 5.13.11-1-MANJARO
[sudo] password for mikeh: 

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area...
'make' -j2 KVER=5.13.11-1-MANJARO

…(continues indefinitely)

Unfortunately these logs are partial recreations as I forgot to save my original logs before restarting however if I remember correctly Im pretty certain it prompted me to select a kernel header or something. I know that this is not ideal documentation and that as a noob Im probably forgetting important parts of that installation. I would try to reverse/uninstall what I imported however Im not entirely sure how to do that as Im pretty new to all of this and dont want to mess something up.

So in conclusion Im not sure what went wrong with the installation of my network card drivers and would very much like to know why.
Thanks!

This module is not needed for linux 5.13 (I know, I have it in my laptop too). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try this:

sudo pacman -Syu dkms base-devel --needed

Headers should be installed via

sudo pacman -S $(ls /boot | awk -F "-" '/^linux/ { print $1"-headers" }')

Reboot afterwards.

Did you read that log file?

Thank you this worked. I was wondering if linuxconfig.org was a reputable source of information because at first the command didnt work so I was searching around and found them. I dont think the command went through because I got an error message but in the end I realize I was unintentionally interrupting a command because I thought my terminal was giving me a command to complete however it was just taking a very long time to load. Anything many thanks.

1 Like

Tip: When pasting terminal output on Discourse forums, one can either…

• Highlight it and use the Preformatted text </> toolbar button.

• Add three backticks ` above and below the text (Markdown):

```
    text
    ```

• Use HTML:

<pre><code>
    text
    </pre></code>

I’ve done it for you this time. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.