Touchpad settings, why are they different? & how to fix

I have had to create a new partition and do a fresh installation of manjaro because of other problems that i shan’t go into here but the first thing i am banging my head against is why are the setting for my touchpad different in one installation to the other and how do i sort the new installation out to be the same as the old one because the new touchpad is all messed up (edges are dead, can’t set natural scrolling, etc)

Manjaro KDE install no1

Manjaro KDE install no2

I have read all sorts of stuff about Synaptic & libinput or something but its all stuff iv never played with before.

Follow:

1. Install xf86-input-synaptics package (If you removed).
  2. Create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf
    with code inside:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection
  1. Reboot.
2 Likes

The second screenshot leads me to believe that you’re running KWin as a Wayland compositor, can you confirm that (inxi -G)? In the first case, you were probably running KWin on Xorg with libinput or synatipcs input driver.

Im not using wayland at all.

I shall reboot in and try @FadeMind instructions. Although i don’t remember doing this before (that’s my problem though, i can never remember half of the thing iv done to get things working by the time i need to use them again)

In that case you’re now probably using the libinput Xorg input driver, but previously you were using the synaptics one.

@FadeMind had the solution. Thank you, you probably saved me a lot of hunting and trying all sorts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.