Torbrowser-launcher yay Installer Error on Pinebook Pro

There is no ARM torbrowser-launcher package support from Tor, Manjaro or flatpak so I decided to try to install the Arch package using yay. At first it could not find and download a patch file so I downloaded it to the src subdirectory manually and advanced past the error. Now I’m getting:

$ yay -S torbrowser-launcher
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Aur:1]  torbrowser-launcher-git-0.3.2.r49.g0e020dc-1

1 torbrowser-launcher-git                  (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (1/1): torbrowser-launcher-git
  1 torbrowser-launcher-git                  (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 
:: (1/1) Parsing SRCINFO: torbrowser-launcher-git
==> Making package: torbrowser-launcher-git 0.3.2.r49.g0e020dc-1 (Fri 25 Jun 2021 02:03:16 PM PDT)
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Updating torbrowser-launcher git repo...
Fetching origin
  -> Found b8774d7a4f3e23f01c2c772aa9f3de7b98e8e932.patch
  -> Found 05-Fix-use-case-that-enforce-install-of-EN-version-on-n.patch
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    torbrowser-launcher ... Skipped
    b8774d7a4f3e23f01c2c772aa9f3de7b98e8e932.patch ... Passed
    05-Fix-use-case-that-enforce-install-of-EN-version-on-n.patch ... Passed
==> Making package: torbrowser-launcher-git 0.3.2.r49.g0e020dc-1 (Fri 25 Jun 2021 02:03:23 PM PDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Updating torbrowser-launcher git repo...
Fetching origin
  -> Found b8774d7a4f3e23f01c2c772aa9f3de7b98e8e932.patch
  -> Found 05-Fix-use-case-that-enforce-install-of-EN-version-on-n.patch
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    torbrowser-launcher ... Skipped
    b8774d7a4f3e23f01c2c772aa9f3de7b98e8e932.patch ... Passed
    05-Fix-use-case-that-enforce-install-of-EN-version-on-n.patch ... Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of torbrowser-launcher git repo...
Cloning into 'torbrowser-launcher'...
done.
Switched to a new branch 'makepkg'
==> Starting prepare()...
patching file setup.py
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file setup.py.rej
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
    Aborting...
error making: torbrowser-launcher-git

Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Looks like the patch has already been merged upstream.

Hi, I use UNOFFICIAL builds of Tor Browser on my RSPi 4
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tor-browser-ports/files/8.5-arm64/

1 Like

So you think that even though it said “Skipping patch” that’s why it errored-out?

I guess I’ll try to figure out how to identify and change whatever script is running.

Thanks! I’ll look at these builds too. I had not found them, despite searching for ARM builds.

It was a long trudge but, in the end, I used the yay --editmenu option to edit PKGBUILD and remove both patch downloads and the patching of two files.

yay --editmenu -S torbrowser-launcher

I also needed to

sudo pacman -S base-devel 

and install option “[5]” to eliminate a “fakeroot binary missing” error during the build. (See Fakeroot binary missing).

git was previously installed and is required too.

It’s all moot though, because once built, torbrowser-launcher runs and promptly downloads the x86-64 torbrowser, runs it and generates an “SSE2 required” error message.

It seems that Flatpak, Arch, and yay all want users to waste hours of time rather than just making architectural compatibilities and requirements readily known! :frowning:

I will try antman’s suggested torbrowser build next.

Well that was easy! Downloading 8.5 and running it only took a few minutes. 8.5 doesn’t seem to have the level of protections of newer revs, but it works. In particular, I noticed that it doesn’t disassociate one’s browser window size as well as newer versions.

Have you tried any of the newer versions? I tried 8.5 first, because that was the link you provided. I’m downloading 10.0.18 ALSA now.

Thanks, antman!

Not yet, my version still 10.0.16 (based on Mozilla Firefox 78.10.0esr) (64-bit). I don’t know why it won’t update to 10.0.18 (Help > About Tor Browser). I guess I have to download a new version. Thank’s for reminding me.

It seems that the official torbrowser update and installer model is to download an official tor project binary. Given that no arm64 binaries from Tor (or from Arch or Flatpak or other managed distribution system for that matter) exist, I don’t see how current arm64 installers or updates can work, short of downloading the binary manually from Sourceforge (or other binary source unknown to me) or building it from Tor Project source code oneself for both the initial installation and all subsequent updates.

tor-browser-linux-arm64-10.0.18-alsa from Sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tor-browser-ports/files/10.0.18-alsa/

I tested it by viewing Youtube vids with speakers and also using both headphone jack and Bluetooth headphones. It all works! Also, 10.0.18 includes the latest anti-screen size fingerprinting measures that impressed me on my x86-64 MX-Linux system. :slight_smile:

Build instructions are included at the bottom of the above webpage and I’ll try a build myself when I have some spare time.

Thanks again for the link, antman!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.