There might be bugs that make bootloader fail to install on specific device

I got errot like this

The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command <pre>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --force</pre> returned error code 1

when I try to install manjaro.
However,I work it out by simply restart the installer and install again,after install fail.It just look like a bug.And I tried 3 different manjaro version.

manjaro-kde-21.3.7-220816-linux515 and manjaro-kde-21.2.6-220416-linux515 is affected by this bug

manjaro-kde-21.0-210318-linux510 is not

There is a similar report of bug on kernel 5.15 in the forum. But I can not send URL in the forum. The title of that report is " New Manjaro (all) distros Installs have problems with EFI"

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

P.S.: (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

This might can be only reproduce on specific hardware. Because I failed to reproduce it on my another pc

Posting your hardware with inxi, like andreas85 suggested, may help us identify the problem, which seems to be related with kernel 5.15. You can also post the journal log after the failed install attempt:

journalctl -p3 -b

In the meantime, if you want to circumvent this problem, you can just install the ISO containing kernel 5.10 and update your system. After installed and updated, you can install kernel 5.15 and test it.

Lastly, you can also try to install the ISO with kernel 5.15 from a flavor (KDE, Gnome, etc.), just to make sure it isn’t related with a specific flavor.

This could be caused by using an incompatible installation type.

It common cause is having an mbr formatted disk on a efi capable system and the installer is booted in efi mode.

1 Like