There is no sound. Dummy output

Question: is sof-firmware package installed? If not, install it.

1 Like

Yes. There is a mistake. warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.

Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
Found memtest86+ EFI image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.efi
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
done
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling sof-firmware                    [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

I had a similar issue on a mini-pc, you are welcomed to try the fix. It fixes a known regression bug, on the intel audio driver, which is what your audio device uses.

Open a terminal and run the following two commands:

echo "options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

echo "blacklist snd_soc_skl" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

No warranty implied or expressed…

There is still no sound

   ~  LC_ALL=C echo "options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
[sudo] пароль для alexey:     
options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0
    ~  LC_ALL=C echo "blacklist snd_soc_skl" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist snd_soc_skl

Have you tried to google matebook d15 audio driver linux? There are a lot of complaints on the internet about that laptop model.

One of the proposed solutions to the dummy output problem includes compiling a custom kernel using this patch.

The other one is to buy an external sound card.

I have never compiled a kernel. I need to clone this repository and follow the instructions?

Quotes with my username in post #4 regarding setting default sink in PipeWire are not very helpful here when OP only has one sink available in PulseAudio

See also previous posts regarding audio issues with Matebook D15
I installed kernel version 5.17 but Huawei Matebook d15 sound card is not recognized - #46 by nikgnomic
My Huawei D15 don't sound at all. Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS - #2 by nikgnomic

But reports to sofproject are probably relevant for Intel based laptops only

AMD systems usually require an Audio Co-Processor driver

all I can find relating to audio support for AMD Matebook system is this bug report:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215119

Here are the config options you have to enable and a guide on how to compile.

But if you haven’t compiled a kernel before your system might get in trouble. Do a full backup first.

1 Like

Thank you. I will study.

I just thought of something, have you tried switching the system to PipeWire and switch to kernel 6.4 or even 6.5 just to see if the support is there?

   ~  LC_ALL=C sudo pacman -S pipewire pipewire-alsa pipewire-pulse pipewire-jack pavucontrol         
warning: pipewire-1:0.3.75-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: pavucontrol-1:5.0+r64+geba9ca6-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for pipewire-session-manager:
:: Repository extra
   1) pipewire-media-session  2) wireplumber

Enter a number (default=1): 
   ~  uname -r                                                         ✔ 
6.4.6-1-MANJARO
    ~  systemctl --user enable --now pipewire.service pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.service                    
Created symlink /home/alexey/.config/systemd/user/default.target.wants/pipewire.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.service.
Created symlink /home/alexey/.config/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.socket.
Created symlink /home/alexey/.config/systemd/user/default.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.service.
Created symlink /home/alexey/.config/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.socket.

There is no sound

   ~  alsa-utils                                                       ✔ 
zsh: correct 'alsa-utils' to '_alsa-utils' [nyae]? y
_arguments:comparguments:327: can only be called from completion function
    ~  _alsa-utils                                                    1 ✘ 
_arguments:comparguments:327: can only be called from completion function

Well, that is odd… Just out of curiosity, if you have the time and means, could you try out my Manjaro Spin, it has PipeWire installed by default, the kernel is 6.1 but for testing it should be fine. The ISO is a complete version of the desktop, no need to install.

the underlying problem in ALSA cannot be resolved by replacing software audio servers

Modprobe option snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0 for Intel laptops was deprecated and replaced when kernel v5.8 was released

Some intel systems may need skylake driver, but AMD systems don’t

Intel systems need Sound Open Firmware drivers but this AMD system needs an AMD Audio CoProcessor driver for the ES8336 audio codec
(see links posted by @Xephon)

If the respin ISO does not include the ALSA patch for the onboard audio codec it is not likely to work any better than Manjaro (or any other Linux) ISOs

There is no sound.

Well it was worth a shot…

Linux can already be installed on Apple without any problems. And it’s probably difficult to enable ES8336 support.

I did a little digging, it appears you have a semi rare audio card, some Asus notebooks also have this iisue. According to the link below, some have had success by running the following commands in a script.

#!/bin/bash
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74

Original Link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1850439

There 's about the snd_hda_codec_realtek driver . I have snd_hda_intel used.

AFAIK Apple systems use mostly Cirrus Logic audio codecs (CS4206/4207/4208)

Workaround using hda-verbs has been confirmed to work on Asus notebooks with Realtek ALC294 codec
Dual boot: Weird no sound behavior but devices are visible - #4 by nikgnomic
Headphone not working - #8 by nikgnomic
There have been no further issues reported with Asus ALC294 systems since April, so I suspect this audio codec has been patched in kernel by ALSA developers

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.