The system stopped loading after reboot PC

My Manjaro system crashed UEFI boot after PC retart.

The disk is divided into 3 partitions - boot (fat32, flags boot and esp), root (ext4) and home (ext4)

The disk is visible in the BIOS. But when starting the PC, an error appears - “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”

secure boot ?

My motherboard - Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0

In BIOS secure boot - other OS

I dont know, I am sure its in the menu or the user manual.

I already looked at Secure Boot Disabled. Secure Boot - type of OS - other OS

I tried to restore the boot partition from the image made in fsarchiver did not help. :frowning_face:

Maybe the boot priority is not correct.

Disc Boot Priority

1. Manjaro
  2. Windows

Manjaro stopped booting via UEFI, but Windows with MBR boots. If leave only the disc with Manjaro, then I get the message - “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”

I have a Live-CD with ubuntu and it boots fine with UEFI

This is some kind of magic, most likely you will have to make a Live-CD with Manjaro in and execute:

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/boot/efi
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --recheck
sudo update-grub
reboot

I see no other way out. :frowning_face:

1 Like

It would be interesting to see if that ESP is still intact …

You can also boot the Manjaro USB stick and as “root” execute manjaro-chroot -a.

can you check any dump files ?

recheck all theses points in your firmware motherboard

• Secureboot off
  • CSM off
  • TPM off
  • disks all on AHCI
  • no optane/RST
  • no fast boot
  • no legacy ( maybe be exception for USB only )

How to watch it?

Everything is set up in the BIOS, my system has been running for almost 4 years and everything was fine. But yesterday’s PC reboot and magically something went wrong

I have Live-CD but it is with Ubuntu and I don’t want to demolish it. Seeking for a USB stick to make a Live-CD Manjaro

it can be a battery on your motherboard , check voltage in this case

If the battery is out of order I cannot boot via UEFI with Manjaro installed?

Unfortunately I don’t have a voltmeter :frowning_face:

it can be a reset nvram in this case ( check date & time )

Checked the exact time and date in BIOS

I can’t figure out what happened. Disk with MBR markup where Windows is loaded. Manjaro with GPT markup does not want to load. And all after restarting the PC.

If I understand the issue, and you are able to boot into windows, I had an issue where on occasion, rebooting my dual boot system would bypass GRUB and boot directly into Windows10.
Ironically, the way to fix it was from inside Windows, I am not sure if this will work in a system that has MBR & UEFI but it may work.

From inside Windows, run a Command prompt with Administration Privileges then paste the following command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi

Also, it is best to shutdown the PC fully and restarting before running this command.

Good luck,

I have windows and manjaro installed on different ssd drives

But Grub was loading Windows right.

No Grub only load Manjaro

I almost did not use Windows, but if I had to load Windows, I pressed F8 on the keyboard and selected the disk with Windows.

I don’t know it will help me:

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/boot/efi
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --recheck
sudo update-grub
reboot

You have to run grub-mkconfig after grub-install otherwise it will not scan for operating systems.

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg