[Testing Update] 2024-10-02 - Kernels, KDE Frameworks, Pacman 7.0, VirtualBox 7.1.2, Firefox

Hello community, here we have another set of package updates.

Current Promotions

• Find out all about our current Gaming Laptop the Hero with Manjaro pre-installed from Spain!
  • Protect your personal data, keep yourself safe with Surfshark VPN: Get 3 months extra

Recent News

Previous News
Finding information easier about Manjaro

Finding information easier about Manjaro always has been a topic that needed to be solved. With our new search we have put all Manjaro data accessible in one place and divided by sections so it makes it easier to digest: News ā€“ Manjaro

Notable Package Updates

Additional Info

Nvidia driver downgrade

Nvidia drivers got downgraded to 550.100, therefore update with sudo pacman -Syuu. If you want to stay on the 555 driver series you may either switch to unstable or install nvidia-dkms via: sudo pacman -U https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/pool/overlay/nvidia-dkms-555.58.02-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst. More info about Nvidia drivers here:

555 release feedback & discussion - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
550.78 release feedback & discussion thread - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Python 3.12 info

:information_source: You will need to rebuild any AUR Python packages that install files to site-packages or link to libpython3.11.so. :information_source:

Print a list of of packages that have files in /usr/lib/python3.11/ :

pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11/

Rebuild them all at once:*

pamac build $(pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11)

* Note that if any fail to build, youā€™ll have to rebuild whatā€™s remaining one or a few at a time.

Use rebuild-detector to see if anything else needs to be rebuilt:

checkrebuild
Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcements topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

For help with AUR packages, please create a new topic in AUR and a helpful volunteer may be able to assist you.

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You can get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.322
  • linux54 5.4.284
  • linux510 5.10.226
  • linux515 5.15.167
  • linux61 6.1.112
  • linux66 6.6.54
  • linux610 6.10.13
  • linux611 6.11.2
  • linux612 6.12.0-rc2
  • linux61-rt 6.1.111_rt42
  • linux66-rt 6.6.52_rt43
  • linux610-rt 6.10.2_rt14

Package Changes (We, Sep, 18, 2024 7:41:09 PM GMT+07:00)

A list of all package changes can be found here and here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

Update history:

5 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

Note: Do not forget to review your .pacnew files:

:arrow_right: 2024-10-02

2024-09-13

:warning: Linux 6.9 is EOL

Linux 6.9 is EOL and has been removed from the repos.

Suggestion is to install latest LTS; i.e.,

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux66
System freeze on suspend

A feature in systemd 256 freezing a user session when suspending may freeze the system.

The issue is most prominent with Nvidia systems but reports exist that it may affect other systems as well.

System freezes for 60 seconds and then wakes back up or hangs after waking up

Since systemd v256, systemd freezes user.slice before sleeping. This process can fail due to kernel bugs, particularly when KVM is in use.[13][14]

Messages in the logs will contain Failed to freeze unit 'user.slice' before sleep. When such an issue occurs, trying to login (start another session) would fail with pam_systemd(process:session): Failed to create session: Job 9876 for unit 'session-6.scope' failed with 'frozen'.

To temporarily revert back to the old behavior, edit systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service, and systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service with the following drop-in:

[Service]
Environment="SYSTEMD_SLEEP_FREEZE_USER_SESSIONS=false"

ā€“ Power management/Suspend and hibernate - ArchWiki

KDE Plasma hangs on Shutdown, Restart and Logout

With KDE Plasma 6.1, the session saving feature can make Plasma hang.
A workaround is to disable it in System settings > Session > Desktop Session, by choosing ā€œStart with an empty sessionā€.

Session auto login can't be re-enabled for X11

Once session auto login for X11 gets disabled, it canā€™t be re-enabled in settings.
A workaround is to edit the /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf file and replace Session=Plasma (X11) by Session=plasma

2024-08-04

pulseaudio-ctl requires pulseaudio and is not compatible with pipewire

If one is using PipeWire, one will need to remove pulseaudio-ctl if prompted during the update as itā€™s only compatible with pulseaudio

2024-07-14

Nvidia driver downgrade

Nvidia drivers got downgraded to 550.100, therefore update with sudo pacman -Syuu. If you want to stay on the 555 driver series you may either switch to unstable or install nvidia-dkms via: sudo pacman -U https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/pool/overlay/nvidia-dkms-555.58.02-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst. More info about Nvidia drivers here:

555 release feedback & discussion - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
550.78 release feedback & discussion thread - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

2024-07-01

The sshd service needs to be restarted after upgrading to openssh-9.8p1

2024-07-01 - Robin Candau

After upgrading to openssh-9.8p1, the existing SSH daemon will be unable to accept new connections (see Can't login after openssh 9.8p1-1 upgrade, MUST restart sshd (#5) Ā· Issues Ā· Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / openssh Ā· GitLab).
When upgrading remote hosts, please make sure to restart the sshd service using systemctl try-restart sshd right after upgrading.

We are evaluating the possibility to automatically apply a restart of the sshd service on upgrade in a future release of the openssh-9.8p1 package.

ā€“ Arch Linux - News: The sshd service needs to be restarted after upgrading to openssh-9.8p1

Previous testing threads:

8 posts were split to a new topic: Nano-syntax-highlighting got reverted to a 2020 version for some reason

error on Xfce Terminal , dump core during pacman actions
not possible to copy/paste anymore from terminal

Donā€™t update yet. pacman and related packages might not be insync yet.

1 Like

Xfce, AMD, looks good.
3 .pacnew files to check on my side.

Just ran the update as it has been a few hours since any packages were synced to Testing. Successfully rebooted & logged into Plasma without any issues.

I do have one concern regarding a possible typo in /etc/makepkg.conf.d/rust.conf.pacnew.

There is a new, uncommented line: RUSTFLAGS="-Cforce-frame-pointers=yes", which is replacing the commented line #RUSTFLAGS="-C opt-level=3". Should the new line actually be RUSTFLAGS="-C force-frame-pointers=yes", with a space between the -C and force-frame-pointers=yes?

1 Like

Philip, please remove this message when we can update

1 Like

After the update, several GNOME extensions didnā€™t work. In ā€œExtensionsā€, the message shown is (I translate to English from my language) ā€œThe installed version of this extension is incompatible with the current version of GNOME (undefined). This extension has been disabledā€
This was the case for Dash to panel, which I use since forever. However, I was able to update the extension from https://extensions.gnome.org

When will we get Plasma 6.2ā€¦

Ok, Iā€™ll get my coat.

4 Likes

so result :
i ended update , rebuild kernels and reboot in early morning
i get systemd-dump with lightdm-gtk-greeter , screen black with ā€˜-ā€™ on upper top left

solution :
try to end update , nothing
try to restart / start lightdm nothing

then go back to branch Stable and apply pacman -Syyuu
xfce login & nvidia return

i will retry now testing

update ok boot ok on Xfce

Xahea is released so this part can be removed from the initial announcement.

Done. :wink:

2 Likes

Today after switching to testing branch, I tried to upgrade my system but got following error message:
Starting full system upgradeā€¦
resolving dependenciesā€¦
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/diffutils-3.10-1/desc: No such file or directory
looking for conflicting packagesā€¦
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing pacman (7.0.0.r3.g7736133-2.0) breaks dependency ā€˜libalpm.so=14ā€™ required by libpamac
Any help will be highly appreciated.

So for a while this file was deployed with these lines commented ā€¦ while keeping the lines back in the original /etc/makepkg.conf ā€¦

( The lines should have been removed from makepkg.conf at the same time this new file was added. And the new file not commented of course. )

Now the makepkg.conf doesnt have the lines anymore and the ones in rust.conf are uncommented.

As to the -Cforce... ā€¦ its the same on Arch, so I might assume its fine.

Some flags dont require whitespaces between.

1 Like

I just did some searching on the web, and it looks like you are correct. The ā€œ-Cā€ flag can be used with or without a space. For example, this text on Codegen Options - The rustc book:

Features from multiple -C target-feature options are combined.
Multiple features can be specified in a single option by separating them with commas - -C target-feature=+x,-y.
If some feature is specified more than once with both + and -, then values passed later override values passed earlier.
For example, -C target-feature=+x,-y,+z -Ctarget-feature=-x,+y is equivalent to -C target-feature=-x,+y,+z.

I added the space to my /etc/makepkg.conf.d/rust.conf.pacnew last night when I did my system update. I think Iā€™ll just leave it as-is - it shouldnā€™t affect anything.

Do you get libpamac from our repositories or was some installed from the AUR? You can check if the mirror you use is fully updated: repo.manjaro.org.

I use ā€œGlobalā€ mirror, which seems to be fully updated. Libpamac was installed from ā€œextra.ā€ Reverting to Stable branch does not help, by the way.

If i remember correctly was the culprit paru from aur when i got this same message a while ago from not satisfied dependencies. Uninstalled it for now; and the update went through.

1 Like

I do not have paru installed.